New HSF wanted

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deltatux, Apr 3, 2013.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Not sure about that where you are mate.

1 Amp rating on your headers I believe make sure your fans are rated below that.

You have plenty of fan headers on that board as well.:)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just checked, there are tons of them, but they're from Silverstone instead, but it should do the job regardless lol.

So any other choice than just only Megahalems? I want to weigh my choices here.

If I do get the Megahalems, are the fans that you guys listed are regular case fans? If so, how does one attach them to the heatsink?

deltatux

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    From the pics it looks like all the fan clips are included but have a read of the specs. On early Megahalems you had to order a second set of clips!

Yes, they are just standard 120x120x25mm case fans, but the Rev C can take 140mm fans if you so desire.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The Corsair H100i is just $112 on the same site, a bit over your budget but would beat the Megahalems by a good few degrees with the right TIM!

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Alright, I'll take a look at the Megahalems when I get home.

So I'm guessing everyone's consensus is on the Megahalems?

Cheers,
    deltatux

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Have not read entire thread but do not get the hyper n520 it's an old cooler that is not very good the 212+ is better and cheaper.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Looks like the Megahalems isn't really sold here in Canada. Most suppliers are selling it for $90 because they're rare here and NewEgg is the only one that is selling it for $60.

Are there any other choices, because I like to get a second choice in case I can't get the Megahalems?

Cheers,
    deltatux

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    well my megahalems with my fans cost about $100 think you can do better for cheaper. I got it about 25 months ago

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Tux, avoid the Hyper N520 like the freakin plague man!!!

Look under "1 egg" reviews....review dated 6/21/2012 5:15:58 PM <---my review

The fans that come with it, are utter garbage. The mounting brackets are a joke. You can bend them by hand with no effort at all. I've got 2 sets of Intel mounting brackets sitting here that are useless. The second set arrived pre-bent (damaged). It took 2 months and 3 parts requests for Coolermaster to even ship me the second set of brackets...which were damaged during packaging.

Hilbert actually reviewed the Hyper N520 and even mentioned the difficulty of installing the cooler. I thought he might be exaggerating a small bit....and learned that he was being VERY modest about it. The thing is a nightmare to install.....if you can even get it installed without the cheap ass mounting brackets bending.

After MY dealings with coolermaster.....I can't recommend anything from them in clear conscience... They are the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with....

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Save up a bit more money and get the H100i or H110.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ok, so consensus is that there isn't any fan that's better than the Megahalems for the price.

As for why don't I spend more money? I actually have the money, but I rather spend it on something else than a fan lol. Up to $75 is more than enough for an HSF.

Alright, so if I get:

Prolimatech PRO-MGH-C Megahalems ($61.49)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242008

2x Antec TrueQuiet Pro 120mm ($19.99 - bundle price)
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=6...Pro 120&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1277

GELID PWM Y-Splitter Cable ($5.99)
    http://www1.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_128&item_id=047494

Subtotal: $87.47
    Shipping: $11.49 (grr. NewEgg and charging for shipping)
    Total (w/ tax): $111.82

or should I get this case fan instead?:
    Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 ($7.99 x 2)
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_130&item_id=026764

Is there another option to lower it because $110 is much over my budget or is it so worth it that I should put this much money just on cooling? I'm not planning to do any insane overclock so I'm little uneasy on wanting to spend this much....

EDIT: I was thinking this might be a good alternative no? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Thoughts?
    deltatux

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    really up to you, its one of the top air coolers paired with the right fans youll notice all the top air coolers are in this same price range.
    both the fans you pick suck for heatsinks, LOW static pressure. 1 good high static fan(10bucks) will outperform two of those you listed. and if you arent doing insance OC, you dont need 2 fans tbh. mega with 2 good fans will be good for 4.7-4.8 on your i5

so if you are going for say 4.4-4.5 this panther would be enough
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242010
    but id replace the fan in the future with something better(theyre somewhat noisy)

so recap, mega with 1 good fan, you shave of 10 bucks, thatll be 100 bucks roughly. or panther for 50 bucks and get a better fan(liek a single noctua, should shave off 5c or so compared to stock fan, 2 would be even more)

btw xigamtek fans are crap, really noisy

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Any suggestion on good fans? I was looking for Scythe fans, but no store carries them anymore since Scythe no longer sells their fans in North America which really sucks as all my other cases have Scythe fans.

I was looking at the panther as well but it doesn't say that it supports 2 fans and was hoping for a push-pull configuration to ensure that air pushes out of the HSF properly.

Would this be a good alternative to the panther though? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

deltatux

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    take the fans out of the equation, the panther should be slightly better(say 10% better) panther hasnt been out that long, but the fan on the xigamtek is bad, ie pretty noisy. cant comment on the performance between the two fans, xigas might be better. panther is OK. a tad noisy.for fans youll probably want to look at either 2 SP120s corsair fans(quiet edition) or 1 SP120 peformance edition.

panther supports 2 fans, i have a personal friend i help installed with 2 notcua fans.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I second the SP120's, you can get a twin pack for fairly cheap. I'm using A120's for my case and they're excellent.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If you're spending over $100 why not get an all-in-one from Corsair or NZXT? It will beat the megahalems and costs about the same.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depends on the fans you buy.... My 5 Xigmatek Green LED fans are quiet... Only noise I hear is from airflow and the pump and fan on my Kuhler 620...

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If the fans are replaceable, I could just keep the heatsink and get rid of the fan if they are really loud.

Alright, I'll take a look into it, thanks.

I'm trying to NOT spend that much lol. I'm trying to find a cheaper option lol. I need the best bang for the buck within my budget, I don't mind slightly over budget, but not how much Megahalems would cost me...

deltatux

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You could look at the 212+ for the money it's the best avalible and you can add a second fan for push pull the heat pipes are direct contact but there are only 4. The size of the actual heatsink is quite large with a very good fin area on it and the fan included is descent. They also updated the mounting system it's much simpler and streamlined compaired to the n520 which is horrible but I have installed and reinstalled tha HSF about 6 times and still is undamaged.