ASUS ROG ARES II Gets tested and reviewed [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A Dual-GPU monster, in Crossfire and on three screens with Eyefinity. We test and review the ASUS ARES II as single card and in Crossfire today. The ARES 2 is a dual-GPU Radeon HD 7970 graphics card. ...

ASUS ROG ARES II Gets tested and reviewed

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hilbert you crazy, crazy, totally awesome man!

What a review. Good to see something destroying the 690 at last, even if it will melt your electricity meter with it's enormous power draw.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Finally a reply ! Gimme some love people, this was hard work, I need some sweet sweet LOViN!

Plays LL cool J

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Awesome review Hilbert! Was pretty fun to read.

@BLEH!: You do get similar (somewhat less) power consumption from two separate 7970s. Power design here is beefed up, ala 7970 Lightning.

You could see that in many cases, ARESII ~ 2x single 7970 performance. And since 690 ~2x 670/680, this goes once again to prove that CF 7970s > SLI 680s, even at 1080p, and especially @1600p.

5. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Some cool stuff but if I were a serious buyer, my first question would be, how do you fit the cooling system of these two cards into a case? Aside from what is likely a short lived bragging period, I would be inclined to wait for the 8000 series.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Best review I've read in a long time. Thanks boss!

I'm not sure how much power I draw TBH, I'm at stock volts for 1050 MHz (early reference cards), but I'm tempted to overvolt soon, see how far I can get. ASIC quality on my cards is mid 80s, whatever that equates to. CPU probably drinks as much as one 7970 does at the kinda clocks I run, I'm guessing about 800W for the whole system.

You'd need a case with 120 mm side fan mounts I guess, multiple ones, and be careful when taking the side off, either that or a custom case, which these things warrant.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Mid 80s means you'd hit your OC limits even on air cooling, but you'd get higher clocks for lower voltages. You would find that your card would probably hit a wall long before you reach high voltages like 1.25-1.3V. I'd guess 1.2V is the max voltage that will get you a reasonable clockspeed bump until you hit that wall.

As an example, my friend has a 7950 @90% ASIC. He reached 994MHz stable @stock volts (0.993V). I borrowed it and was able to reach 1000MHz@1000mV, 1050MHz@1050mV, then finally 1100MHz@1100mV. Not even 1200mV could get the card stable at 1125MHz. So this is what I mean by a wall.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    What a beast totally the king of the hill this card haha :D

Nice review was some really good stuff this :) GJ Hilbert.

9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Wow it's getting close to those 1.21 Jiggowatts there...

10. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    In some cases it really pulls ahead in the Multi GPU games, and in others it runs not too far away from a single 7970GHZ, interesting...

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    As always a nice unbiased review of an amazing product(even an Nvidia fanboy is drooling).

Now where did i put that lotto ticket............

12. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Great review, but I have to say some of the results of somewhat skewed, with the CPU bottlenecks and all.. I guess just a question is to when the 965 is going to get retired.. Like i should talk since i have a cpu just as old. So I just thought i would put it out there. Kinda wonder how that thing would run with a 3770k oced to 5gzh ;) Since the people that would buy these things would be running something like that.

non the less thanks for your hard work and all you do man.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With the older games you'd be right. However it was explained many times before already, all current Core i7 Generation use the Nehalem base architecture, if you clock them all them all the same they will perform roughly the same. The biggest perf differences with Sandy and Ivy bridge have been thanks to the binned Turbo modes.

Now we use overclocked Core i7 965 Extreme CPUs, I've demonstrated in the past already that they perform roughly similar to Core i7 2600 and Core i7 3770. Now agreed a 3770K overclocked at 4600+ MHz could make a bit of a difference in FPS up-to 1920x1200, but nothing massive or extremely significant.

Next to that you will have noticed that we updated our test suite with new and thus GPU stringent games. All facts combined, CPU changes just wouldn't make a lot of difference unless you stay at lower resolutions or are very 3DMark savvy, which calculates a CPU score and uses that CPU score into the overall P score.

14. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Ah yes, i remember when you did that article.. Just thought Id mention it though.. So will Haswell have any benefits to cpu bottelnecking like that?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Haswell is once again focusing mainly on integrated GPU performance and power savings through some of the voltage regulators being integrated onto the CPU. You'll probably see some general performance gains but limited to the 10-15% we've been seeing from Nehalem on. And those gains generally don't translate over to the same percentages when running at extremely high resolutions, like Hilbert stated.

I also kinda think that with the eventual move towards 4K displays on the PC it's going to set things back more onto the GPU. Right now even clocking my 3770K at 4.5 barely shows gains in anything on my 690 @ 1920x1200. Put the 690 at 4K and even those gains evaporate, with the exception of maybe some very intense CPU areas or titles.

16. swISS

swISS Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    That is pretty ****ing awesome. I cant wait to see the MARS version..

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    hardware of the year...purely for the build

damn asus the things u make

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Awesome review.

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The looks just don't do it for me but it is a beast, pure and simple.

20. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I want three! Oh...

What a monster.:nerd: