Microsoft Surface Laptop Can't be Repaired

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    iFixit has given Microsoft's new Surface Laptop a score of 0 in terms of repairability. The laptop can not be opened without causing massive damage is close to impossible to repair. ...

Microsoft Surface Laptop Can't be Repaired

2. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Who would want to repair? There are a new times, now even shirts you do not wash only buy new.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was actually considering getting a surface because they look quite nice but.. well not now..

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Jesus F**k.

Ever heard of "Finite Resources" ?
    If it can't be repaired at all, it probably ends up in a landfill.

If we can't recycle 100%, we're not ever going to leave this planet, and will all die here.

5. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    It's a very specific product, it's quite clearly designed to be as slim as possible and for that there are sacrifices. Why would you by a Surface Book or Surface Notebook expecting it to be opened and fixable.

6. Jdaisy

Jdaisy Guest

GPU:
    Dell Studio/ 8:00 GB
    I know right! I had thought of getting my brother in law one for his birthday..but i just bailed out after this!:frown:

7. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Microsoft make trash consumer products? Never.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Really?
    Hope your using your own backyard as landfill then. :)

9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Never!

NEVER buy ANY hardware from m$. GreedyBill had NEVER made anything worth mentioning in hardware area. Lousy mice, consoles, (disastrous) phones... Isn't it enough headache we have with these helter-skelter OSs (which we endure just for the sake of gaming)...?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The slightest problem out of Warranty (either out of date or not covered) and its in the bin.
    So you want to recuperate some important personal/work data from the internal drive after 'death'....what do you do ?

11. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070
    Ask Apple :bang:

12. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    What is the replacement warranty like?

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Very few posts here manage to be wrong in every single thing they mention.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Terrible news for laptop enthusiasts. Of course a laptop isn't the most repairable thing, but not being able to disassemble it altogether is a low blow. I think MS took too many cues from Apple here.

15. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The Intellimouse, was one of the best mouse that ever existed for it´s price

16. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Rightly said. But, alas!, like on every forum, this one is also full of "bots" and naive people. Naive people: there is no lie desperate and/or bitter enough that they aren't gonna swallow... Bots: they are paid to lie and "cover up"...

17. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    I was joking, even if you can not repair you would exchange because of warranty, and all that broken stuff would goes to manufacturer and it would recycle it. But still we are in times where if warranty ends stuff going to landfill, like cars, printers.. Some companies design in a special way so that they do not last longer than the warranty period and you would need to purchase again later

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why are people surprised by this? Why are people seeing this as a MS problem? It's been pretty clear MS has been trying to be more like Apple since the first Surface showed up (I'm not saying that was the first Apple-like thing they did, I'm saying that's when it became obvious). Ever tried upgrading or fixing an Apple product? Many modern ones are also held together by glue. I'm sure any product competing with this Surface Laptop is going to be built very similarly.

If you like the idea of having the thinnest device possible, don't expect any alternatives to be much better than this laptop.

Though I understand the needs for ultra-thin laptops, I personally would rather have something beefier with better performance, better battery life, better durability, and better upgradability, all for a better price. I hate having to sacrifice practicality over something so frivolous. Smartphones seem to be the worst offenders of this kind of thing (seriously, I want my phone to be usable - I don't care what it looks like when I'm not touching it).

19. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Nobody said m$ is the ONLY one to blame. But, in this particular case, nobody ELSE is a culprit.

''Some companies design in a special way so that they do not last longer than the warranty period and you would need to purchase again later''

Yes Chronek, indeed. Long ago explained by Jack London ("Iron heel", popularly interpreted K. Marx's Capital). Overproduction ending up with economic crisis.
    Anybody has watched "Bladerunner"?

Laugh at me if you like: M$ is epicenter of the EVIL. I mean it LITERARY - these guys are EVIL embodied, logistic center of anti-human powers. NOTHIHNG that they do is unintentional, and their intentions are far from being benevolent towards humanity...

"...something beefier with better performance, better battery life, better durability, and better upgradability, all for a better price. I hate having to sacrifice practicality over something so frivolous"

Yes, but that's what they HATE most. Short living, easily forgotten/dropped
    disposed off, that's their formula ("we were ALWAYS in war with Eastasia never with Eurasia"...).

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You need to seek professional help ASAP...