The Almighty SubWoofer Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RagDoll_Effect, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Mine does too. I have an Emotiva UMC-1. I've got the 20-~35Hz region boosted up another 10 - 6dB (boost lessens as it goes up in frequency) in my pre/pro.

I need more signal boosting. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I just got a Xonar D2X and I tell ya, it's awesome, it has snr 118/120db on all channels, not just fronts. My system has never sounded better. Incredible soundcard. Ti Burr Brown DACs on all 8 channels...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Example of an ultimate subwoofer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36Kp6veJ6c

How much subwoofer is “enough”? 20-80Hz @ 100dB? 110? 120? Is single digit extension necessary (or even desirable)? I know that you technically can’t hear much below 20Hz, but you can definitely feel it.

How about tactile transducers? I have a Buttkicker Gamer 2, but haven’t used it since I built my sub. That said, a larger shaker might be ideal to really feel those < 20Hz moments.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Technically and commercially available, this is the best sub, 112db@ 10hz and 126db@ 60hz awesomely great :)

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=subwoofer/model=sub-2/page=overview

[​IMG]

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
  6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Unfortunately, the Paradigm Sub2 was measured at only 94.7dB @ 10Hz, so 112 would only be possible with a huge amount of room gain.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=69&mset=75

Looks like my sub is down 2dB compared to the Paradigm at 10Hz. They are tied at 16Hz, and mine has a 2-4dB advantage from 20Hz up to 80Hz. Kind of sad that that is what you get for $10,000.

I'm sure there are quite a few commercially available subs that beat it, because at that price range you can start looking at Danley, JTR, etc. A DTS-10 for example has a 12dB advantage at 16Hz, according to data-bass. JTR makes subs called Orbit Shifter's that I can't find a graph on, but am sure have some serious output (horn loaded high xmax 18" subs).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  7. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    They're paid by the other sub manufacturers...

8. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    ???? explain

9. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    So, What Rebel is trying to tell us is that an unknown website's measurements is so accurate, that we should definiately conclude that Paradigm's claims is so wrong? The unknown website is of course the most accurate? I can show you other website's that have measurements to conclude the Sub 2 can indeed output 112db @10hz and hold it's own :)

10. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Data-bass/Josh Ricci are well known entities in the DIY audio/home theater world.

In his Audioholics review for the Sub2 he got ~104dB @ 10Hz in his room. The ~94dB result was when he was measuring it outside. 112 would be possible in the right room.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

11. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    i asked what u meant by "They're paid by the other sub manufacturers..." so u just made this up for what reason. ricci is a nice guy he tests all these subs in the same conditions for free and u go and bash him without knowing **** . your a damn fool as usual

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I've got a Mirage Audio Omni S-10 subwoofer. 200w RMS 800 watts Dynamic. 21-120hz (±3dB).

It's one amazing sub.

pic of yours or you don't own it!

As for VERY high end audio gear, check out what my friend had me go with him to pick up a couple weeks ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i'm no expert on stuff this high end but it's my understanding these Mark Levinson monoblock amplifiers are pretty much the holy grail. the downside is i tweaked my lower back moving them. damn things are like 70lbs each.

13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ouch, I hear ya, I did my lower back 6 months ago, 5 discs dislodged :( It's almost healed now, but I was popping IBUPROFEN 24/7 for a while... Now, those Monoblocks look like something from audio heaven lol :) High End definately, nice 1 :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

14. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I'm actually getting in to the final finishing stages for another UXL-18 sub. The box is fully assembled, but I am waiting on feet, binding posts, etc. I am also waiting on the actual sub itself. I should have it in < 1 month.

Here's a shot of me assembling it with only 2 short clamps. (I've ordered a brad nailer to make doing this sort of stuff much easier in the future)

[​IMG]

15. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Awesome, 2 of those in the same room, would be one of the best ever :) Be sure to do some measurements, very interested to hear what they sound like :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

16. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Just waiting on the Duratex to dry... oh, and to receive my second UXL-18. :cool:

[​IMG]

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I've had a M-Audio SBX10 subwoofer until my financial situtation went very very wrong and had to sell everything. :(

It was the best sub i've ever had, it was very loud, deep and very tight, it could shake the walls of the whole house lol it was insane. :D

But now i've got a income again, i might be able to get the setup i've had again next week. :)

Example pic of how it looks, it's not mine.

It's pretty massive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  18. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
  19. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    ^Heh, I was following along during the build thread. The guy's setup is beastly for sure. I am very jealous.

20. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Incredible, thanks for sharing that :) @Rebel, your setup is just as good imo ;)

regards,
    RagDoll.