Microsoft will update its Windows OS every year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2012.

1. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    It will kill MS in the business sector, quite simply. Often company testing takes already more than a year before the tested OS ist finally being rolled out to all workplaces. That's a major reason why so many still use XP and just now begin updating to 7.

Me as a private gamer, I will stick with Windows 7 as long as possible, unless MS manage a better UI in the future and don't make Windows look so much like an Appstore with an OS attached anymore as windows 8 is. And when support for 7 runs out, I'll probably just go console....

2. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It sounds like the Call of Duty of OSes...

3. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Those of you who think we'll see a whole new OS release every year are jumping to conclusions. Just look at the pattern Microsoft has been using for years and I think it will become clear to you. I think it just means we'll see what are essentially just service packs alternate with a "the next generation" OS, just like they've been doing for years. So, 2013 sees Windows 7 SP2 roll out alongside basically the same old Windows 8 tweaked and polished, just with a new name (just like they did with Vista/7.) Then in 2014 we actually see a new kernel, new API, new UI, etc. I don't hold out much hope for Windows 8-now-with-polish or Windows-new-kernal because Microsoft seems to be hell-bent on killing the classic desktop UI and moving to the Metro UI (I refuse to call it "Modern"). Touch based user interfaces are all well and good on smartphones and tablets, but nobody wants or need that kind of thing on the desktop.

There's a reason that point-and-click has been the default UI for so long: It works. It works really well. We've tried touch screen interfaces on the desktop, Microsoft, and it falls flat on it's face. It has bombed. It deserves to die a horrible, horrible death. It doesn't belong on the desktop, and nobody wants it on the desktop. So what will Microsoft do? Why, Steve "Developers" Ballmer is in charge, so they'll kill off the classic desktop in the next Windows release and try and force their desktop users to use the blasted Metro UI. And that will be the death of Microsoft.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go learn Mac OS.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow...go figure....another "Windows8 sucks because I said so" post.... Nothing based on facts...just opinion claimed as fact....

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    right. Because this gona get people and companies to upgrade to there new os every year? alot companies still use XP. some use vista some win7. Them wanting to do an os ever year is gona do nothing but make there job harder by support multi able OS instead. not like i care MS can take leap off a building if win8 is anything to look forward too.