do u prefer shooters with a controller or keyboard mouse?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It would be good to see one day, just for the comedy aspect at least. :)

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    In Single Player you can get away with a Controller, but online Mouse and Keyboard is the way to go.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Mouse and keyboard is objectively better, but I'm fine with a gamepad too.

4. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    KB+M hands down for me. I tried the gamepad and even allowing for the time needed to acclimate it is still not as quick or exact as the mouse. Plus, a gamepad only has so many buttons so the game is hamstrung in terms of what can be programmed into the game for control features. In short, a gamepad forces the game to be dumbed-down to some extent in order to be functional on a console.

I miss the days when games came with a keyboard overlay and the like. I still have my legacy setup where I use voice commands, the mouse, and the keyboard for control. This is especially immersive with flight sims and space sims (i.e., Battlezone or European Air War). It's really a shame gaming has collapsed down to the herd mentality level for what's developed and marketed as mainstream gaming.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    For a fps I would always use a keyboard and mouse, try STALKER on master with a controller lol

6. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    keyboard and mouse.

7. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Gaming is no longer taken seriously by the industry other than how to make as much money as possible; hence, the current state of affairs. Elaborate games with complex controls overwhelm today's generation of gamers. Serious games like simulations are too expensive to produce. That's why you see only a handful of genres being developed anymore and what games are produced are basically all the same. They have to be since they are now all developed for cookie-cutter consoles.

KB+M

I'm so grateful I lived to see what gaming can actually be. But sadly those days are gone forever.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There are still games that use more than 6 keyboard keys on the PC, but to be honest I'm not really a big fan of having to remember 20+ keys. :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I can play with both but a Mouse and Keyboard will always have an Edge over a Joypad for FPS.

10. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Keyboard and mouse, never used a game pad except when I played my brothers PS3 a couple of times.

I am annoyed at how more and more games seem to not let you remap keys though. I have always used the arrow keys but I got tired of using Autohotkey for games like Sleeping Dogs and Transformers FOC and so just switched over to wsad recently. Now if PS4 will support mouse and keyboard, then they only have two more requirements before I consider them: true 1080p and 60 fps, lol.

11. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Steering wheel :p
    Keyboard and mouse is a must..

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    def. BF4 for PC, i also dont own a console ;) and i dont like controllers and play everything with kb/m

i grown up with kb/m, played only with kb/m since i was 10 until now :) only had a PS2 for one year.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nope KB/M works on the PS3 my Logitech wireless and my razor both work perfect. The games have to be coded to use the KB/M. This is also true for the Xbox360.

14. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I realize that and more. But the general trend is towards "instant gratification" type games where you start up the game and basically shoot anything that moves. Back in the day, games that had 20+ keys usually came with a keyboard overlay. You could also install voice command software and map the commands to your voice.

And let's not forget the HOTAS controls where you can map keys to the joystick and throttle. At this level, gaming is more of a serious undertaking which most people today either do not know about or aren't interested in taking that far. It was all about immersion...not just awesome graphics (which is today's answer to realism).

15. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    If I'm playing a shooter like Contra or R-Type I prefer to use a controller always. If I'm playing an online First Person Shooter I use a keyboard and mouse because it's an exercise in futility otherwise. If I'm playing that same FPS in single player I'll use a controller because it's far more comfortable when you're sitting in a La-Z-Boy, looking at a 56" screen.

Long story short, it depends on the situation.

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Never played on anything bigger than a 24" monitor for the most part. I tried it on my 60" TV once when I had an Xbox 360 (for one week) and found myself swiveling my head left and right instead of just my eyes. It was a weird feeling. I also didn't like the 720P resolution that I was stuck with. Console games don't have the flexibility that PC games offer. That may change but will probably be dictated rather than an option.

But you are correct...it depends on the situation. I prefer to be alert personally. Getting comfy can be a detriment.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    ive been using m+k since i had my Amiga 600 back in the very early 90`s and wouldnt change to controller for fps for the world, couldnt imagine arma3 on controller...BLAHHH...but driving games defo my xbox 360 wirless controller with my pc

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It's almost a rule for me. 3rd person gamepad always, 1st person.. I'd rather die than use a gamepad there

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I can't stand using a controller for shooters, but for almost everything else I pretty much prefer a controller.