NAND flash memory might get too dense at 10nm

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The adoption rate of Solid state disks is fast and they are getting faster and faster. To gain higher volume sizes the NAND ICs need to shrink and that could pose an issue in the near future. Shrinkin...

NAND flash memory might get too dense at 10nm

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I would love to see DRAM speeds on a SSD before I die. :D

3. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I like the stacking idea.

Here's what my imagination put out.
    Instead of 16 side by side chips, just thin the insulation and just make it thicker with more layers, and build an ultra high speed controller into each stack. If done right, you can have multi SSD raid performance from a single SSD Drive. Maybe even use dip style switches, or software/firmware/drive-bios configurable options. I'm thinking in the multi TB range for these drives, few years in the future.
    So someone can access the bios, either by bootup disk, or within the OS from another computer (use the drive as a secondary) and reconfigure the "stacks" into different raid configurations. Normally the stacks would be configured into raid-0, imagine each stack having the same performance as a standard SSD, and maybe having 8 stacks in a single drive. So like having 8 mini-SSDs in raid-0, each stack with it's own controller.
    Or you can split them into Raid-1, half the space, but greatly increased data protection. (if data protection is even a factor in 10 years). And everything would be done by a primary controller, entirely transparent to the computer, even so much as allowing the entire drive to have a second layer of raid, with two of these drives.

If you can't make it denser, or wider, make it taller.
    I could easily imagine a desktop 3.5" SSD made in this fashion, holding 32-64TB with write speeds in excess of 50GByte/sec. Using silicon chips. This considering some PCI-E 4x SSDs can exceed 2GB/s already.
    If using something else such as graphene, or another tech, the transfer speeds would be in the 500Gbyte-1Tbyte sec range. At which point we would no longer need system RAM.
    Simply click on a game EXE and you're loaded, < 1sec. Select your savegame, and another second later, everything is loaded.
    I can't even comprehend the controller, or plug needed to attach such a drive. But it would probably socket onto the motherboard like a CPU.

4. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    the way things are going by the time tech like that would exist the desktop as we know it might look and act completely different

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    WOW!! I must on 10nm memory already as my Physics teacher always said I was too 'dense' to understand, now I know why :)

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    [​IMG]