Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    show CPU usage in the graphs/OSD

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Non-VGA monitoring = no go, sorry. Peek on the first page.

3. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    makes me sad, but thanks unwinder.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    another one then:

When will DX11 overlay support be added? ATM we dont get the stats overlay in DX11

5. giogio1

giogio1 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 480
    Ability to lower clocks further for Nvidia GTX480 videocard, so I can set a 2D profile at lower clock to bypass the driver's limitation of NVIDIA DualView (in Single View i have 2D clock at core 51 shader 101 and mem 135, in Dual View
    405-810-1840). For my use the Dual View is essential but the 2D clock is to high (temp too high and TDP too).

Thank you for your attention Unwinder, sorry for my bad english.

6. Unwinder

A bad joke again? Try to peek into 1.6.0 changes list.

7. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    will do... i'm new to afterburner, so i havent learned everything yet.

8. Toasty27

Toasty27 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GSO 512MB
    I'd like to see a stress testing feature built into Kombustor. Something that works like the FPS counter (i.e. has a current reading, an average, and then a total number of artifacts) but for artifacts. It'd be incredibly useful to know exactly how stable you OC is without having to run 3DMark, and hope that it doesn't crash.

That's first and foremost on my list.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, I'd really like to see an option for increasing the max frequency available in the Afterburner window. I've got a 9600GSO that runs perfectly stable with the RAM overclocked from 400MHz to 522MHz (It's DDR. Can't believe EVGA crippled this card with that kind of RAM), and I know it can go higher. This card could really benefit from increased bandwidth.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  9. dakotablues

dakotablues Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 5803gb
    GTX 465 enhanced compatibility

I don't know if it is just me, but I have a new Palit GTX 465 and stock voltage is 1087mv. Any adjustment above that mark, and it resets to the stock(1087mv) voltage?! I can undervolt it with no problem, though. I know initial 465 compatibility was implemented, but I was hoping more could be done to resolve the issue I have experienced. Unless, of course, you think it is a hardware lock/limit on the voltage settings. If so, I have pretty decent 3d overclocks on stock voltages.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  10. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Both Afterburner and Riva Tuner are great applications.
    Unwinder thank you for great work!
    I have been using RT since 2005 and im quite happy with it.

If you can please implement Afterburner sidebar gadget.

Just one more thing:I noticed one thing while OCing my card(using Afterburner),when i start increasing GPU core and voltage i set the fan to 100%.When in the next step i increase Core frequency(or voltage) and i hit apply the fan returns to Auto and i hear fan noise reducing.The fan bar still shows its on 100%.So i have to change fan to 99% hit apply,and then change it to 100%.
    Its like that for every step.
    Its not a big thing.
    Other than that everything works just fine,and frankly both RT and Afterburner need no changes.
    They are great as it is. :)
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010

11. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Feature request: command line options to reset default clocks and to get current clocks/voltage settings. And if possible, an option to set clocks and voltage

Something like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -reset ==> to reset default clocks

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -getsettings ==> output a string with current clocks and voltage (e.g. 725000/1000000/1049)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -set 725000 1000000 1049 (of course MSI Afterburner will set only values within allowed range)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  12. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    Hey. Can I request we have a small circle or some kind of indication which shows the profile # under the green light at the bottom left corner. I have to keep hoovering around my profiles just to figure out which profile number im using currently. Thank you.

13. Unwinder

I already did my best to get it implemented. A few versions ago I have created all software interfaces allowing third party developers to create a gadget for MSI Afterburner. I'm unable to develop the gadget myself because I'm rather busy and gadget is really time consuming and rather boring thing from implementation point of view. However, I found a developer interested in creating it, he even created working skeleton for MSI Afterburner gadget. But it looks like MSI lost any interest to a gadget project. And I cannot even think about asking my developer to invest his work time into commercical project freely, sorry. That sounds absolutely unfair for me. So no development budget for it and no interest from a company -no gadget, sorry.

Applying the clocks via undocumented AMD overclocking interface (the one removing overdrive limits) results in resetting fan speed. That AMD driver's issue was nailed down during 2900XT (!!!) announce and reported to AMD, the fix is still not available.

14. Unwinder

Nope. Most people do not understand that _last_applied_ profile and current system settings (which can be altered by other tools) are absolutely not the same things. It will result in nothing but misunderstanding and the next wave of false bugreports.

15. Unwinder

See no problems with command line resetting the settings, but if I were you I'd rather use two profiles for 2D and 3D states. Negative on the rest two things, command line is not the best place to have these things.

16. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    I see, users would end doing nasty things, for sure :p

Only the reset default settings would be nice, thanks :)

What about exposing default settings (clocks/voltage/fan speed) in shared memory, can it be done without much hassle?

17. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Speaking of commandline, since AB already have numbered profiles, how about "-applyprofile:[1-3]" (or some other similar magic, allowing us to make app-startup scripts that apply the profile for that app, without the need for afterburner to have application-launch-hijacking to autodetect)?

Possibly using 0-3 where 0 being the "default" state (i.e. revert to normal profile, to be used at the end of the script after the app has closed)?

//Svein

18. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    I don't know if I understood you correctly, but MSI Afterburner already allows you to apply a profile without opening the GUI, the command is
    MSIAfterburner.exe -profileX -q

Where X is the number of profile (between 1 and 5)

@Unwinder: -profile0 to restore default settings would be nice (instead of adding another command line switch :))

19. xg320

xg320 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GTX
    pease! add lower clocks for 2D modes (riva tuner can do 360/550 on 9800, msi ab only 540/825) many people will appreciate this.

20. toy4x4

toy4x4 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - SLI
    I just want the ability to have the app shrink to the system tray when I click X. I do it out of habit and it would be nice if it did not close the app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.