homeopathy question

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by J.B.west, Oct 8, 2013.

1. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    By the time I became a teenager I remember getting very bad heartburn and I used to take pills to calm it down when at night. Even with pills and water I would wake up in amazing pain and even vomit due to the acid reflux....

Then at the age of 18 I met my gf and her mom was a homeopathy guru....so I told her about my problem.... I couldnt eat pizza, or anything citric because I would be in a world of pain, so her mom gave me her remedy which was a homeopathic remedy.

I rolled my eyes and said yea right....she treated me for like 6 months, I was 22 then, Im 37 now, I NEVER get heart burn, even if I eat like ****, get drunk, eat spicy food, douse my food in tabasco or whatever else triggers heart burn.

I dont even remember what HB feels like....

Now I do have to realize that the older Ive gotten the healthier Ive become.
    Im convinced homeopathy cured my HB because it was the one thing that killed me day to day when I was a young pup.....now its just a faded memory

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I occassionally get heartburn & it does indeed feel like $hit, almost feels like a heart attack.

What is your magic cure for heart burn?

3. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    Well as I mentioned earlier, it was either the homeopathy or the fact that I got healthier...

I could eat like crap for a month and still get no HB...

The last time I got HB was like a year ago after I got wasted drinking vodka and beer and it only lasted like 20 minutes and it was super mild

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Look up homeopathy.
    As a doc, i know it to be a joke. Some people stand by it, and if it works for you; great. But i can't possibly see how.
    Homeopathy is taking working medicine or compounds, and diluting it, over and over, until very very little (if any) of the original medication remains. (If a pill) it's then it's mixed with inactive ingredients until it can be formed into a pill.

It's like taking a single asprin, and diluting it in hundreds of gallons, mixing in an inactive ingredient until you have thousands upon thousands of pills, formed from a single asprin.

This should sum it up for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks for the link Chouji.:)

6. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
  7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Homeopathy was illegal here until a few years ago :p

9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I would go with being healthy, it's surprising how better you feel if you eat/drink healthier too

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A shame the NHS isn't taking much notice of that recommendation.

11. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Which could be anything since you don't remember what it was. But, I highly doubt there's any homeopathic treatment for heartburn, especially one that continues to work long after you've stopped it.

Hell, you could of even been given a bunch of probiotics or similar sort of diet type treatments- and they could prevent some heartburn.

Yeah. My analogy is it's like taking a cup of coffee, dumping it in the ocean and claiming people on the other side of the planet can now get all the effects of the caffeine from drinking sea water.

Even snake oil at least had omega-3 potential:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=snake-oil-salesmen-knew-something

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Hah. Very good.

13. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Homeopathy = pseudoscience.

There is no point in diluting anything to begin with as this has been going on for a long time already.

14. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    I am pretty stress free and have been for most of my life, Im not an advocate for homeopathy or anything, I was just curious if you guys knew about it and if it really works.
    Im glad I have no more heartburn because from what I can remember HB is extremely uncomfortable.
    My gf gets HB everyday and cant stop coughing at night. I dunno how she copes.

15. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Has she tried homeopathy? Glad you don't get heartburn anymore though, congrats!

16. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Homeopathy is just bull****. It has been proved over and over again that the water doesn't contain anything that would cure you. It's 100% pure water. There's nothing in it that will affect you, except that it hydrates you.
    Confimation bias I say.

17. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    yes she has but it didnt work on her. Then again my gf is a hypochondriac :eyes:

18. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    After reading all these posts, and watching that Mitchel and Webb sketch, I'm wondering about Prince Charles' state of mind.
    After all, he believes in that quackery. ;)