Temperature too hot on my asus 290 dc2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by craven68, Apr 27, 2017.

1. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    I live in france, we got really cold temperature currently. I have a zalman z12 case with 2 stock fan and two corsair sp120 high performance, every fan are set to max . My cpu is a i5 4570 with stock fan.
    The temperature for the case and cpu are really good when looking at hwmonitor but my gpu is always too high.

Just looking a movie with mad vr, i m doing 94degree temp, playing game the same. I changed the thermal paste last week but nothing really change.
    At first, i didn't have any issue with this, at 94 degree i could play, but now i began to get artefact when playing yooka laylee for example.
    I did get these issue with stock setting without overclock.
    The fan from the gpu is really loud so it's working ( i made a custom fan setting on msi afterburner).

The strange thing, it never go higher than 94. And this value is the max temp on radeon setting, i wanted to set a value lower than 94 but afterburner or the driver setting didn't accept the change like it's locked at 94.

Do you think it's a driver issue or my gpu is dying ?

2. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    I don't know because when i quit the game or media player, it take only 2 second to get the temperature much colder.
    So it have the ability to cool, i think

3. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    I used this one : http://noctua.at/fr/nt-h1.html it should be good.

So yeah, i know this card can go to these temperature, but i had some issue on yooka laylee at 94 so it made me worried and the fanfrom the gpu is so loud haha
    But some times ago, i never had temperature this high. It was like 85/88 on summer with overclock. So this is why i found it strange that now without overclock, with a colder temperature in the room, the temperature is higher.

But, today, it went only to 88 without OC watching a movie, perhaps i have to wait a little for the thermal paste to be more efficient ?

Edit : i also install the new driver this morning.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not possible for it to evaporate out as it's a closed/sealed system

Issue here is probably poor mounting or bad paste(especially if OP replaced old paste with old paste such as AS5)

5. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    It was my friend who did the job x) So he did a clean job.
    The first step was to clean it carrefuly with alcohol, after he put a thin layer of thermal paste ( the noctua nt-h1) on the gpu.
    I really don't think, the issue is from the thermal paste or how he installed it.

@kastriot Yeah, i m not going to bother with it anymore, the more important things was to be below 90degree. Now i m going to wait vega and i will sell it haha

Thank you for both of you !

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    According to the website, you are suppose to put a drop of paste in the center of the chip then apply the heatsink. You are not expected to spread the TIM yourself. This DOES matter with some pastes, like ICD-7 for example. So your friend did not follow instructions, instead he just did what he normally does.

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Check if the fans work properly and undervolting is possible on those card which reduce the temps A LOT !. The amount of VGPU you can decrease depends on the ASIC Quality :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    @Chastity Yeah, perhaps you are right, i told him by the way if it was not best to install it like you said but he told me that with a gpu, it's a little different than a cpu.

@lexer98 And i think you are right on something.....because i never thought that my soundlaster zx was installed just in front of the gpu...and one fan of the gpu can't really output the air without being blocked by the soundcard.

I m going to buy a new case like the phanteks p400s to get a better cooling case x)

9. craven68

craven68 Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 1080ti 4x ultra
    So i did some test today.
    I put out my sound card, i gain 7 degree. So i was at 87 before and after without sound card 79/80.
    It was already a nice gain but i found something weird after. I put it again my soundcard but i launched a movie with madvr, so it went again to 87 but i launch a video on youtube on fullscreen on the same time....and my temperature was cooling to 80 degree too.
    So i really thing, they are some issue on latest amd drivers. ( or creator update ? )