Guru3D Folding@Home Information/Help Thread {Start Here New Users}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by aircool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Been looking at ATI streams and Nvidia shaders and it look like 10 ati stream shaders = 1 of nvidia's. It is sort of like comparing apples to oranges they both do the job not nothing alike. Or something known as patents that made ATI/AMD make shaders totally different.

Compare my card has 64 shaders and the ATI = card 4770 has 640. It also looks like 40 streams you get getting dropped are used for maybe error correction in the ATI cards. Not 100% sure without digging deep into how a ATI/AMD shader stream does its math.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  2. tanner2

tanner2 New Member

GPU:
    bfg gtx 260 512k
    HEY!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=352115

How can someone have 4,523 wu's credit and have no score?

I read that there was some kind of cheating and stanford zero'd those people
    What does Folding@home do about illegal installations?

We have taken swift action against illegal installations (such as Jethroted and Dales Kid) and are prepared for immediate action in case of other similar infractions. See below for 3rd party uninstallers.

We have remotely terminated any further calculations for these clients so they will no longer use any significant CPU time or bandwidth. In addition, these accounts have been zeroed, no more points will be added, and investigations are on going. One cannot stop someone from installing software in an illegal fashion, but we can and have removed all incentives to do so and are investigating additional prosecution of the offenders.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. sambo60

sambo60 Member

GPU:
    CrossfireX 2x 1GB HD4870s
    Hi guys,
    I've been folding on my HD4870 for a few months under the name sambo60. I recently acquired another HD4870, and they work great in crossfire. I tried following the instructions in order to get another instance of the client working on the other card, but I can't get it to work right.
    I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit).
    I tried disabling crossfire and extending my desktop to a nonexistent screen, but when I start the second client, it crashes after a couple seconds saying "folding@home has run into a serious error running the core and will shutdown." Also, when I extend the screen it's annoying because it adds extra nonexistent space to one side of my screen. Is there a way to make windows aware of the second GPU without extending the screen, or any way of folding on both gpus with crossfire enabled? If I don't extend the screen, the client won't run at all. I'm pretty sure I've followed all of the instructions perfectly, and I would really like this to work. Any ideas?

4. Moonkin

Moonkin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Hello! Moonkin here again :p I think i finally found a guide that was easy enough to follow, on how to setup for a multi-gpu card/cards. But my current problem is, is there any other way to fool the system, then to use a vga dummy? I sure dont have the equipment needed for that im affraid, and i do not have a second monitor either. I am using the systray clients if anyone is wondering btw.

5. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You can use SLI Bridge and that way no need to be bothered with the dummy plug. If you monitor has dual input, you can use it. You may want to read this Guide that I have written: (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322535) If you have any problems, post it in the thread and hopefully, it will be answered.

FYI, installation of Console Version is much easier than Systray.

6. Moonkin

Moonkin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Thx for the fast awnser, but if i remember correctly didnt i need to have password? (login) on my copy of windows for that to work?

7. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Not for the GPU3 BETA Client or the GPU2 Client or the Classic Client.
    The password requirement is only for SMP2 Client but in the future it too will be removed as MPICH will be dropped.

8. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    so is that an SMP3 openCL hint there PantherX as far as i know MPICH is the only smp client usable in win 7 x64

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure about the OpenCL, but AFAIK, there is a new Client SMP Client which will only be using the a3 Core and not a1 or a2 so it will not be using the MPICH, hence the installation will be much simpler and hopefully, more people will be able to run the SMP Client.

I have read that the new SMP Client is in early testing stage but I can't verify if it is true or not. Hopefully this will happen soon after the GPU3 Client is out of BETA Stage. AFAIK, isn't OpenCL exclusive to GPUs?

10. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
    I was looking for a simple gadget to observe (e.g. fine tuning the rotational speed of the fans) my folding systems (Win 7) and found this:

http://blog.orbmu2k.de/

GPU Observer – Sidebar Gadget
    [​IMG]

Intel Core Series – Sidebar Gadget
    [​IMG]

Perhaps it is interesting for you, too

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks a lot for sharing this useful link arcon.Personally I have been using this on my system:

[​IMG]
    Source:(http://taskbarmeters.codeplex.com/)

So far it works great as I have pinned it to my taskbar.

12. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
  13. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks arcon, I will be including them in the Guide when I will be modifying it for the v7 Client which will hopefully be released for Open Public BETA within 2 months so less if no major bugs are found

14. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU3 (required for Fermi) System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's (installer msi).

v6.32

Released: 2010-7-13

------------

SMP deadline changes

Following an internal discussion, the Pande Group has decided to lengthen the deadlines for non-bigadv SMP units. The new deadlines are:

* Preferred Deadline: 6x the time to completion on the i5 benchmark machine
    * Final Deadline: 10x the time to completion on the i5 benchmark machine

Projects 6701 and 6702 will have their preferred deadlines extended to fit the new model for all units issued under the new system. The final deadline will remain the same so as not to change the K factor. No other currently issued projects will be retroactively modified to the new system.

Bigadv work units will continue to use the previous, tighter deadlines. They are specifically designed for fast completion and so the Pande Group would prefer that any machines which are marginal for bigadv, fold standard SMP units instead.

Source: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15237

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  15. in2ition

in2ition Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB OC
    Hello. I'm new in folding and I have some questions:
    My gpu shows ~ 13500PPD and finishes a WU ~ 900 points in about 2 hours.
    My cpu shows ~ 253PPD and finishes a WU ~ 210 points in about 10 hours. What's wrong with my cpu and how do I fix it. I tried with different clients but the result is the same.

16. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    hello in2ition your gpu seem to be working as it should
    your cpu is a bit on the low side by the look of thinks you are running the classic clinet work unit, you will need to add a flag to your shotcut called -smpX X be the amount of core you want it to run on. rember that cpu and gpu work on different clinet and work unit so conparing TPFs (time per framp) of the work unit out of a 100% will not tell you the hole story can i ask witch montioring sofware you are using aswell?

17. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If you are considering the SMP2 Client as iancook221188 suggested, here are some installation guides:

Detailed Guide For Console Version (Windows): <Click>
    Pictorial Guide For Console Version (Windows): <Click>

18. in2ition

in2ition Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB OC
    Thanks. I use FAHMon for monitorising.

The gpu is doing the same 264 FS_coil for 5 WU. It's normal?

19. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
  20. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Hey in2ition, we don't refer to WU like that, if you view your FAHlog, you will see this:

[01:50:15] Project: 11223 (Run 0, Clone 16, Gen 35) -> Report this
    [01:50:15]
    [01:50:15] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [01:50:15] Entering M.D.
    [01:50:21] Tpr hash work/wudata_03.tpr: 2174561757 3651667538 2218492815 3168046702 1675577663
    [01:50:21] Working on 264 Fs_coil -> Doesn't mean much

Also we need the following (FahMon/HFM.NET shows it)
    TPF
    PPD
    PRCG -> Project Run Clone Gen
    With the Project number and PPD, we can tell if the GPU is within the normal range or not. TPF also helps us in certain cases.