Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  2. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Nice video, it sounds very good. With this and Star Citizen, very exciting pc gaming time to come.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Lol, I got the wrong impression when I read the thread title. :O

4. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Well, it's a bit goofy title.

5. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    This annoys me... Kickstarter is such a lazy way to make an "Elite" game....

If he could be bothered, HD remakes of Elite and Frontier: Elite 2 released to Steam,iOS and Android would give him way more than the 2 million he's asking for...

I know I'd certainly buy them....

I won't be getting Elite: Dangerous though, multiplayer only? that sucks..

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    It wont be MP only, I dont know where you heard that from.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    David Braben recently wrote this....

"Thanks for all the support, and I hear the concerns too - apologies for not being on here as much as I should. More updates are planned, as are pledge upgrades, and info on multiplayer, procedural techniques to be used, ships and ship design; essentially there is a lot to come."

So it's coming. :)

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    God I can't wait. I will pledge as soon as.

I still play this on the ZX Spectrum.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To be Continued:)

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    New updates regarding game.....

How does multiplayer work?

You simply play the game, and depending on your configuration (your choice) some of the other ships you meet as you travel around are real players as opposed to computer-controlled ships. It may be a friend you have agreed to rendezvous with here, or it may be another real player you have encountered by chance. All players will be part of a “Pilot’s Federation” – that is how they are distinguished from non-players – so you will be able to tell who is a player and who is a non-player easily.

You will be able to save your position in certain key places (probably just in space stations, but possibly while in hyperspace too, if we feel it is needed). A save-and-quit option will be freely available at those points, as will the subsequent reload, but there will be a game cost for a reload following player death. Your ship will still be intact in the condition it was when the save occurred, but there will be a game currency charge (referred to as an insurance policy) for this. This is to prevent the obvious exploit of friends cooperating and killing each other to get each other’s cargo. If you can’t pay, then it will accumulate as an in-game debt, and the police may chase you!

There are no multiplayer lobbies, and the game will be played across many servers, augmented by peer-to-peer traffic for fast responses. Session creation and destruction happens during the long-range hyperspace countdown and hyperspace effect (which is a few seconds only), so is transparent to the player.
    We have the concept of “groups”. They can be private groups just of your friends or open groups (that form part of the game) based on the play styles people prefer, and the rules in each can be different. Players will begin in the group “All” but can change groups at will, though it will be possible to be banned from groups due to antisocial behaviour, and you will only meet others in that group.

How do we plan to address PvP (player vs player) “griefing”?

An obvious danger is an advanced player with a big well-armed ship in a busy system spends their time just picking off beginners, for fun.

To understand how this will be stopped requires a little bit of understanding how real player ships will be treated slightly differently to non-player ships. Players will automatically be part of a “Pilot’s Federation” and will be identified as such, together with their ranking and name. Bounties are paid by this Federation – something that is therefore much higher for those that kill other Federation members. It will be balanced so that this cannot be used as an exploit (so a beginner killing a beginner is taken less seriously than an Elite pilot killing a beginner – it will be based on the ranking difference).

There are four separate ways we will address this:

1. The offender will very quickly get a serious price on their head (bounty) and criminal record. That price on their head will attract bounty hunters.

2. Local police or military will respond very quickly and strongly to them.

3. It will be legitimate for other players to attack them for the attractive bounty without attracting a bounty for themselves, as once there is a bounty on their head they are officially a pirate and ‘free game’ for everyone.

4. If enough players complain about the offender's behaviour in a certain time, then they will be banned from this group.

More updates tomorrow.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    For me procedural generation isnt just about creating a massive, variable world, its also about creating a believable one that you don't know what you will see around the corner - but you know it will be amazingly realistic. Because procedural generation creates a universe based on real world physics and maths that exists in nature itself, you are seeing things that might actually exist somewhere in the real world. I find that so much more exciting than coming across a planet that I know has been prerendered and designed by a human being (*cough EvE cough*) because no matter how imaginative a human being is he will never be able to come up with anything as beautiful, unusual, and marvellous as something created by nature's real laws. I think that is why this game ranks above any other I have ever seen or played, and that is why I was in awe when playing Frontier and FFE way back in the early 1990's.

For people who maybe interested.

Elite Computer Game Programming Documentary Part 1 of 2
    Braben talks about the first elite, His first computer on Christmas day and how Elite changed the world of gaming concepts forever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGyROn8jdo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks Veteran. Loving the news and videos. I'm posting this stuff on World of Spectrum as these guys are obviously into this game too.

Did you have a ZX Spectrum?

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice one mate, Yes i did have a spectrum and i still do have one in my attic with a bag full of original games with boxes and art covers, Cost a small fortune at £10 agame way back in the 1980s:)

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Love to play Spectrum games emulated. Elite is tough to play nowadays. Not because of the speed as the emulators can smooth it out but because games were harder! I suck now lol. Too many console games played that lead the way!

19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I remember playing on my st, was it the thargouds or something that were tough ships to kill and didn't They release documents, was there an ending and where did you sell them documents, also if j remember right putting guns on the sides and rear were useless and drained the power quickly.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thargoids yes well hard. Do you remember going into 'witch space'.

You could warp blindly to try and get away from bad guys and sometimes ended up in thargoid territory surrounded by many saucers!

There was a rumor that their was one to fly too...