AMD user, Verdict on Shader Cache?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SlackerITGuy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I don't think this is for Shader Cache as it was there before Shader Cache was added to Nvidia's drivers. It gets created for me in the root of C:\ whenever I run 3DMark 11. I'm guessing it has something to do with OpenCL and DirectCompute in the Physics and Combined tests. There is another one at %APPDATA%\Roaming\NVIDIA\ComputeCache\.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    Well Nevermind me, i tested again SFM with another TF2 map called Castle siegue, and i got 1-2 fps first time i launched it even with shader cache off, maybe it´s a tf2 and sfm because they are using a very old source engine so i think it´s just a coincidence when i got more fps just when i diable shader cache, so nevermind.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    LOL never underestimate the power of a placebo. With that said, Bad Company 2 does tangibly benefit from Shader Cache enabled, at least for me. I've tested it too many times to be convinced otherwise.

4. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Not to go down this road but...

Mantle has seen a very similar adoption rate vs DirectX 10 and/or DirectX 11, just saying....

And your comparison doesn't really hold up IMO mate, if Mantle was limited to 60Hz then you would have a point.

What I was referring to:

- Tighter frame times in Mantle.
    - Performance stays robust even after lots of stuff going on the screen. On DirectX performance and GPU usage tanks when the CPU has to deal with lots of draw calls, that doesn't happen in Mantle.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Its not the miracle driver feature alot people made it out to be. in some cases it help others it does not and in some he hurts.

For Instance Nvidia said up to 70% gains most people focus on the 70% gains and completely ignored the "up to" part. you could get any where from 0% gain to 70% depending on your system and many other things.

Mileage on how much it helps depends on how cpu limited you are in some games. Cause it ment to help cpu limited games and Min FPS imo. It helps yes how much depends, it wont save battle built game engines though.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's what the new driver helped with, draw calls were greatly improved.

7. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    So, any chance of AMD looking into a comparable feature? Or does AMD already have something like this?

I like the idea of shader cache files which can prevent games from recompiling shaders constantly during play.

8. mubaidr

mubaidr Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5750
    So does anyone experienced any gain with Shader cache?

9. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Can you edit that file and those commands to edit the driver? What program was that and is there a similar dll for Nvidia? :3eyes:

Take it from the copyright owner of the term Bottlenecked©, it doesn't do much.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    OT
    There you have it then AMD, has it too :)

The only thing that AMD driver lacks, still, is better multi threaded driver support.

Nv implemented that with r306? or was it r310, so its been a while now..

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Yeah it was mentioned that the shader cache option was present in Inspector for some time, and only in 337.50 was it found in the NVCP. For the multi-threaded support I guess Mantle helps, but DirectX with AMD is another story...

12. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    To my cache shadow did absolutely nothing, this is pure marketing

13. dreamss

dreamss Guest

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    this feature mainly affects games that include shaders in source form that are compiled by the game when u run the game/load map/etc

most games include the shaders in binary form which is already compiled