AHCI - Not recognizing SATA HDDs?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by WhaleTrain, May 4, 2012.

1. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD Radeon 6850 XXX 1G
    Hey there folks just wanted to ask another question and problem regarding AHCI on my motherboard. If you saw my recent thread you will have noticed I was having problems with the PSU and now my HDDs won't be detected via AHCI when enabled in the bios. How can I fix this as they only work in IDE. Is this my HDDs not compatible or?

Also It's my first time enabling AHCI due to previous Motherboards not incorporating the feature and saw that it might improve performance too via my hard drive. Is this true?

Thanks,
    WhaleTrain

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    What are your hard drive models? Are your drives not recognized only in OS or also in BIOS? If in OS, do you have AHCI driver installed? You changed your PSU? If so, are all cables properly connected?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You need to install the AHCI drivers.

Really the OS should be loaded while AHCI is enabled in bios otherwise only the IDE drivers will be installed.

Switching from IDE to AHCI drivers can be a bit tricky so post back if you get stuck.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain Guest

GPU:
    Ok so I am better re-installing the OS when switching to AHCI? Basically in the BIOS no HDDs are detected whatsoever.

All wires are connected etc and the model is a 500GB Hitachi SATA II 7200RPM. I have another drive but it's IDE and have no IDE port to use it with.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's easier, but you don't have to.

Not having ahci drivers won't affect the bios detecting the drives btw.

6. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Yeah, you should see your HDD in BIOS.

Anyway, if you think it's OS problem, you can try to enable AHCI drivers via registry (in Windows 7 and Vista only) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
    Just first switch to IDE mode, reboot PC, enable AHCI drivers and then enable AHCI in BIOS.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain Guest

GPU:
    Ok cheers people. I will have a look soon.

Thanks for the input and I really appriciate your help.

Thank-you,
    WhaleTrain

8. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain Guest

GPU:
    Hi there folks quick update on the issue. I have found that my HDD can boot in AHCI but I am unable to boot from the CD Drive at all. What can cause this issue?

9. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Try setting just the controller that the DVD drive is connected to to IDE mode. From the manual for your motherboard,

[​IMG]

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    To get your DVD drive to show up, set Onchip Sata type to AHCI and Onchip sata port 4/5 to IDE, and then connect your drive to the last two ports. Also, the fact that it doesn't show up in the drive isn't a big deal because these board deal with drives in AHCI mode in a strange way. I can't find any of mine either.