What happened to NVIDIA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by moab600, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Very strange I have had computers for about 25 years now and never had any driver issues with even NVidia or AMD gpus.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK sent. BTW, can swapping out a BIOS improve overclocks by any chance? Never tried it before..

3. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    I love how people say that it's not Nvidia's drivers that are the culprit, but system overclocks, etc. Explain why almost everyone is stable on 314.22, yet the moment they go to any of the 32x.xx series, everything goes to crap? Only thing that's changed is the driver, rollback to 314.22 fixes all the crashing issues. If it was OC degradation, it would crash regardless of the nvidia driver version.

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah that's why I avoided the HD 6 series like the plague, and went to HD 7. Now I'm with Nvidia again with the GTX 780.

I always switch camps every generation, and I haven't had a problem doing such ever thus far.

5. Zarich

Zarich Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GC 670
    I seem to have the worst timing. First I jump to amd with the 5800s and deal with crappy drivers for years.. now I jump the nvidia with the 6xx series and am dealing with a whole new world of crappy drivers.

Somehow I need to a do a better job of selection.

6. Sheena

Sheena Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    I don't know if you remember the GTX 560ti's Factory OC'd TDR fiasco from 2011 but most "drivers issue" got eventually fixed by Bios updates from Gigabyte,EVGA,Zotac etc...

7. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Still doesn't explain why 314.22 and previous drivers are stable, yet 32x.xx is not. Your point actually supports my point since it means there's actually something wrong from Nvidia's side (drivers, bios, etc.) that doesn't actually have anything to do with the rest of the system.

8. Sheena

Sheena Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    There's more optimization in 32x.xx drivers. The cards produce higher framerate overall so higher GPU usage resulting in more heat, more power draw etc. The cards work harder and are pushed closer to their limit so without enough headroom it just TDR.

I can see it myself on my reference card. With 314.22 my max stable boost OC'ed is 1202Mhz (1.175v). With 32x.xx the max stable is 1162Mhz (1.175v). So now let say my card was factory overclocked to 1175...

9. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    There's a lot of crashing occuring with the 32x.xx drivers while the cards are idle (ie sitting on desktop doing nothing, boom, driver has crashed, recovered), has nothing to do with optimizations.

10. Sheena

Sheena Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 2GB
    Crashing on the desktop is another story. There's more things to look at before blaming the drivers though. Windows updates is one thing. Personally i was getting crash in Resident Evil 5 and 6 benchmarks. It turned out to be the platform update for Windows 7 (KB2670838). Some guy on Nvidia forums even said he fixed all his TDR problem by uninstalling ALL windows 7 updates from 2013.

Personally my last real TDR (other than trying to find a stable overclock) was in september 2012 while i had a GTX 460. That's why i always ask myself "If the problem is the drivers and only the drivers" why in hell my PC never crash.

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    326.29's working great for me, had small prob with .19 version bu .29's running fine

12. Some Dillweed

Some Dillweed Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    The majority of people I've seen complaining of these driver crashes have them happen while their system is either idling or in a very low-powered state (web browsing, basic desktop use), and when more specific they mention that it seems to happen after around 1.5 days or 36 hours of system use. That's pretty specific timing across multiple different systems. The fact that, for a lot of people, going back to pre-320 branch drivers fixes those crashes and allows their systems to run stably for seemingly as long as they want to keep them on, tells me that there's a problem with the way Nvidia have made these newer drivers. Whether it's entirely on them, or whether it's related to a specific Windows update or whatever, it's still something that Nvidia need to address and find a solution to if they don't want a bunch of customers swearing off their products.

edit: Ha, right after posting this, an Nvidia rep popped in at the GeForce forums to mention that they know of the issue and are working on it. Well, that's good to hear finally. He also asks for people to send them mini (and full) crash dumps if you happen to get any. So, I guess that's something to check for people having problems.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  13. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    NV drivers been fine here.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  14. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If everything 32x.xx causes these crashes, yet 314.22 (and older) don't, with no other change in the system, it clearly points to driver. 314.22 work just fine anyhow, so it's not a big deal.

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Their customer support and especially outreach is really good, as are their products, their pricing sucks though, ever since that damned Titan beast lol.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Dafuk am I going to reinstall a bad driver to send nvidia a crash dump. Do they still test the drivers before release?

17. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    TS, amd got much better drivers, less stutters and beter performance. Nvidia have some bad frame times.

18. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I have 3 GTx680 FTW 4GB cards with stock BIOS, what are you looking for?

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Actually that the other way around, last driver only wasn't as good as usual nvidia drivers.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    770 bios

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.