gtx480 overheating and driver crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by maskedmonkey2, Mar 19, 2013.

1. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    Hi all, my GTX480 is giving me hell, i suspect due to heating issues, but it's doing some funny stuff, hopefully somebody has had (and remedied) the same issue. First i will say that the card has done some odd things since the day I got it, and has always run warmer than i am used to (although ive heard this is indicative of the card)

I have an Asus GTX 480 that worked up until last week, the screen flickers every 5-10 mins and continuoulsy notifies me that the system has recovered from a video driver crash (when idling at desktop).

My first attempt to fix was simply removing and reinstalling the latest driver. This did not remedy the issue, the card seemed to operate fine without an nvidia driver installed.

I soon thought that this may be some sort of thermal issue, so i fired up Precision x and saw that at the desktop, the card was running 77 78 degrees, and when a crash happened (a split second later) Precision x would indicate that the temp was instead in the high 50 range. and steadily climb back up. I find it hard to believe that the card temp dropped so dramatically so quickly, is that possible? or indicative of a sensor feeding false data?

putting fan speed to 100 seemed to alleviate the issue (somewhat) i get crashes every 45 min - 1hour with the fans up high

After a reapplication of thermal paste, next to nothing was accomplished, i am still getting high climbing temps and the same crashes (i am reasonably confident in my application of thermal paste.

What do you guys think?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sounds like the core is going bad, unfortunately.

3. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    Thanks for the response, though I must say it's definitely not what i wanted to hear. =(

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    them rams I gave you still working??

5. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    They are, i actually ended up upgrading my mobo and went to ddr3.

The rams and old mobo now live in a pc i built for my younger brother, he uses that thing every day.

I suppose I have to get a new card then.. that one sure didnt last very long. I'm looking at getting either a 570 or a 660ti any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    dont buy a 570, 660ti is a good choice, whats your budget

7. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    as cheap as possible is my budget ha, but upper limit is prolly gonna be in the $230 range

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    read the thread title and lol'd... :),

haha, but seriouly those 480's are space heaters... :)

you may be able to "bake it" and get some more life out of it, not even kidding here, in an oven (with cooler and all pieces removed, just a clean PCB) and stick it in there for 15 min at about 380-400 degrees.

I have brought several cards back to life this way, really :), still using an old 8800 Ultra in my secondary machine, was acting exactly like you described until I baked it about 8 months ago and still going strong, no glitches since.

Good Luck

10. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    How about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-Geforce...391?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4d0ac2e457 same price as that 7870, and more capable, no? I might just throw it in the oven though.. i have baked a couple of ps3's and honestly have nothing to lose.

I'm curious though if there is really any need for me to get such a card, as i am still running a q6600.. maybe i should get a cheaper card and put the money towards upgrading mobo and cpu??

For example, ive found a sapphire 6850 on the local craigslist for $80, i understand it is by no means what the GTX480 was, but i am choked by my processor either way right?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The Powercolor Myst edition Tahiti LE 7870 is a better pick than a 660Ti because it clocks like mad (youll probably be able to go over 1000 on it and beyond). With that said, focus on getting the best card you can afford first, and then deciding on whether or not you feel as though you need a CPU upgrade. It's going to depend heavily on the games you play, but I personally think you'll be fine for a bit longer with that CPU.

12. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Are you still under warranty? if so just RMA it. I had the same problems with my 460 not the heat issues but driver recovery and crashes. RMAed it about 4 months ago it was 2yrs 6mths old.

13. angmar

angmar Guest

I don't think your card is broke. Clean out the cooler of any dust. Also is the gpu being loaded while sitting on the desktop. Like when you check precision is there something running in the background that has the gpu loaded without you knowing or are the temps actually that high from just idling. If they are make sure the fan is working. Next if the fan is working check for dust cloggage. I doubt your gpu is damaged if it was it would most likely just flat out not work at all. After clearing the dust out of the heatsink if the idle temps are still high with no gpu usage then try replacing the thermal paste. Again...if I had to guess I would not say it is broken it could be numerous things.

Even if you want to replace the card anyway at the very least if you fix the issue you can sell it for around 150 dollars and put it towards a higher end upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  14. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    i ended up getting a 6850 for $60, just to check it out and make sure there was no enderlying issues that werent the card. This card spends all of it's time in the sub 40s, no loading at the desktop whatsoever.

I am however not at all satisfied with it's performance, where i could run arma III on high settings, i had to take them down to medium and was still getting around 30fps with it.

I bought the card second-hand, so warranty is out..

I did give her a good cleaning on the first application of thermal paste, however I'm thinking i will check it out today, and if i think the cleaning and paste was adequate, she is going in the oven.

If that doesn't work, i have a buddy with an identical 6850 that would buy it from me for SLI, and i guess i will be buying a new card. I really did like the 480 though, it was a beast by my standards and was able to handle everything i threw at it with no issue, and im somewhat disappointed in the 6850, i honestly figured that it would be adequate seeing as how i run everything at 720p

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:

16. maskedmonkey2

maskedmonkey2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    I decided to get it as a stop gap, it was cheap, and i already have someone that will buy it from me.. it is definitely not what the 480 was, i really liked that card, and am kicking myself for not purchasing an aftermarket cooler, as that was my only complaint about it.. Im actually considering buying another one, with an aftermarket cooler if i cant revive this one. or do you think 7870 is a better option?

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU: