GPU(s) for 2560x1440 upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by theimported1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Fellow Guru's,

I recently purchased an ASUS 2560x1440 monitor--which was an upgrade from a Samsung 1920x1080p.

I am running the cards in my profile @ a boost clock of 1200 Mhz.

The 4770k is clocked at a comfortable 4.3 Ghz, although I can push 4.5 with a few more volts and a slight temp. increase. Just diminishing gains for me past 4.3.

Anyway I am finding in certain games I cannot run them at ultra/max IQ anymore(no surprise there).

My question/concern is when is the next gen of Nvidia coming out?
    Rumor is the new AMD series will be coming out in October?

If AMD does release in October I was going to wait and see what they offer.

The cards I have my eye on are 780 classies in SLI.

If AMD does not have the performance of the 780's, or at least damn close to the 780's, I am leaning heavily towards Nvidia.

Any opinions and info on release dates?
    Ideally I would like to have two new cards by the end of October. If Maxwell is going to be close to Christmas I can probably wait it out with lower IQ.

Is it possible one 780 classie may be enough? I feel it may be close with a lot of games, and I want a smooth 60 fps.

*I also prefer Nvidia to AMD. I think the last really great AMD cards were the 5-series.
    **What do estimate these 660Ti SC+ 3gb are worth?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From All those supposed leaks, errors and misinformation "Informations" About HD9970/R9-285 even worst should have bit better performance than GTX780.
    Decrease of Prices of HD7950/70/90 indicates that new GPU will indeed be quite good.
    If needed I can go through some of those specs and explain to what level and in which cases it will increase performance and then give you result which is that R9-285 will have based on game 25~50% better performance than HD7970GHz.

To your liking AMD HD5xxx series, well they were not bad, but were incredibly weak in AA and tesselation compared to GPUs available today and compared to nVidia of that time those cards were still bit behind.

For GTX780: It's nice choice since nV has new SLI HW metering there. But 2x GTX770 will provide better performance per dollar.

Conclusion: At this moment wait for introduction of AMD's new line, if it's any good get it. Otherwise jump for either GTX770 for good perf/price or for GTX780 for still somewhat reasonable perf/price.

3. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    From my own experience with running a single Titan while waiting for my other to return from RMA, one GK110 just isn't enough for a constant 60FPS experience at 2560x1440 in may games. Not if you want the IQ cranked up to 11 anyway! For example, you can't run Tomb Raider at 1440p/60 consistently with fancy hair and SSAA on a single GK110.

I would recommend twin 780s; Titans are a waste (says the guy who owns them) unless you need the 6GB frame-buffer for a multi-monitor set up. I'm not biased in any way with regard to Red v Green (I have a 7970 in my lan party rig) but even with AMD's recent progress in the frame-pacing department, NV still gives a better multi-gpu experience IMO. Couple that with the fact that AMD isn't giving any performance numbers on their Q4 2013 parts and instead focusing on the size of the die (red flag!), I suspect that the 780s won't be substantially outclassed until Maxwell and AMD 20nm parts hit the market next year.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    2 780 would be my recommondation

5. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Sounds good guys. I am leaning towards the 780 classies.
    Do you guys have any recommendations on a specific card?

I am still going to wait and see what AMD has to say, at least until the 25th.

6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Zotac GTX 780 AMP's deserves a look. They're some of the fastet pre-oc' cards (1006Mhz core base clock).

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    they also have a big price tag.......

but then if you have the money......

buy me one for my 32nd birthday

edit: pleeeeeease

8. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

I have a Dell 2711U 2560 x 1440 LCD Monitor. I run 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning on that monitor and it runs very well with high FPS

I recommend 770 SLI, 780 SLI, Titan or GTX 690

Price wise... GTX 770 SLI would be Bang for your Buck compared to the others

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    agreed.

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

I've been running an X-Star DP2710 @ 110hz (2560x1440) with my single eVGA GTX 780 SC ACX (reference board) and been quite pleased with it. I run a whisper-quiet 24/7 OC of 1150mhz core, 7048mhz mem, and in virtually all of my newer games I can near-max them other than AA options which usually are FXAA or 2x MSAA, while maintaining 90-110fps during gameplay. By saying "near-max" other than AA I mean everything enabled barring lowering some items one notch that generally aren't even something I can spot in direct screenshot comparisons let alone in motion while playing.

For example I run BF3 multiplayer on 64p conquest, rush, and close quarters, with a framerate of 95-120+ fps virtually full-time occasionally dipping to 80-90, with everything but Effects Quality on Ultra and Terrain Decoration on High, medium post antialiasing (gives better results on an overall basis than 2x MSAA anyway and performs much better, since it hits transparent textures and shader aliasing), HBAO on, motion blur off, 90 degree vertical FOV (max in-game).

Dirt Showdown is basically the same way, I am able to turn on virtually everything to max and still keep my monitor fed well. Anything that isn't a brand-new title can be maxed with ease, of course, also.

As far as the new AMD gpu's go, I'm hearing rumors all the way from 10% below a 780 to 10% above, but it's really an unknown quantity at this point, and AMD CF has tons of issues still not to mention lacking PhysX for the games that support it, while having an (imo) worse overall driver quality. If the new AMD chip is above a 780, it'll likely have virtually no OC headroom and pricing will probably be close, add in that AMD's reference coolers tend to be noisy and I'd say go for the GTX 780. Another factor to keep in mind is that the 780 OC's very easily to 1100+ core and a memory boost in every case I have heard of for 24/7 game stable clocks in various owners' threads. We don't know that the new Radeon will OC well, but just by them staying on 28nm and the architecture, most people in the know are speculating that it won't have much headroom. 28nm is pretty much tapped out... I don't think we'll see anything huge performance-wise until 20nm chips like Maxwell come around.

Just my two or three cents' worth...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    21 months. That is time since HD7970 got to market. That is time which 28nm printing libraries had to evolve. That is time which AMD had to make GCN2.0. And that is time which they had to realize simple thing like what was bottlenecking HD7970 most.
    By adding 50% ROPs, 25%TMUs and 25% shaders AMD has nice not so big chip which is at performance of Titan at shelf price of GTX780.

I hope AMD never goes for PhysX, this api has to die for real physical engines to live. This year we get new APUs which are HSA compatible.
    In time intel+nV combination will be like XBOX1 vs AMD+AMD which would be like PS4.

BTW, there is quite some thermal headroom for HD7970. I have card from 1st batch. They are officially 250W at 925/1375MHz. Mine is 200W @1050/1500MHz. Which even without 21month of work time to optimize manufacturing process a bit would fit R9-280x in 250W.

But we should let it sleep for next 5 days. Wise decision is not to tell "Go buy this because that new thing will not be much better." Especially if user plans to use that thing for next 2 years and he has to wait to see what that new thing is capable to do in just 5 days.

12. Klapcos

Klapcos Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti @1.5Ghz
    2x GTX780's

13. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    With SLI 660Ti's you should be able to max any game out at 1440p.
    I'm running 670 SLI with a weaker CPU and I have no issues running games at max.
    I disable MSAA in BF3 to make use of my 120Hz screen, but when you're only running 60 Hz you should be fine with MSAA too.

660Ti is roughly 25% faster as a single 780, don't pin me down on the exact number but they definitly are faster.

Overclocked they should be somewhere around the level of the 690:
    [​IMG]

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Max out any game maybe. But doubt it would be acceptable framerates for many people with 660ti sli or 670/680 Sli. Bf3 is an old game. There are many more demanding games that will bring the cards I mentioned to their knees at that resolution All maxed out. Phone edit lol

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would go with at the moment either,

2X HD7970GHz Cheaper than 7990 and would probably overclock better as well depending on ASCI quality and air flow.

a single GTX780 preferably 4GB model, this is a seriously strong card even at these resolutions, extra frame buffer will help but disabling AA altogether no matter what card you buy will give you the better performance as AA at this resolution is not really needed I sometimes prefer the sharper look no AA gives even at 1080p.

a single HD7990 the more expensive option, more or less same performance as 2XHD7970's but obviously less overclocking potential as its two chips on one PCB and you will be stressing that single PCIE slot the more you overclock plus temps will be greater as well with the two chips so close together. High airflow and positive pressure inside the case is a must with this option.

Or if your an idiot, then get a TITAN or if you have more money than brain cells then get two of them and sit back and watch your e-penis grow to extreme lengths.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    2 x 780s in SLi are horrible value for money, compared to the cheaper alternatives, especially 7990 and 7970 CrossFire which can be had for half the money and offer close performance. The reason is that SLi scaling is inferior to CF scaling, and that explains why when there are 2 cards thrown into the mix, the performance differences decrease.

I'd say wait for the new AMD GPUs and see how prices shift and decide then.

Nothing wrong much with CF these days, to say it has tons of issues is a massive overstatement. Frame-pacing has these babies as smooth as a faster single GPU.

660Ti SLi might be giving some trouble at 1440p since they are at the point where they're choking on memory bandwidth (192-bit) and their asymmetric VRAM might be playing a role if greater than 1.5GB of VRAM is being heavily used most of the time. These cards are not for 1440p.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    the 780 only comes in 3gb version

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Even with 3GB vram the 660Ti is a bad move since it's strangled by a 192bit bus. It's not even 192bit really....more like 128 + 64.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    the guy already said hes going to sell the 2 3gb 660ti in the OP

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh right I thought he wanted to buy them. lol I only read like the last 3 lines. It was kinda in reply to Deluxe's post as well tho.