Rise of the Triad

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ghosty, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Seb :3eyes:

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The original was a good game back in the 90s. It does look a bit too old school for me :/

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I'm not sure I would even have the reactions needed for it anymore. But still, great to see a game like this on the PC, after all this time.

5. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I like this. I have the original game on CD.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The more I see of this... the more I dislike it.
    Just looks like what it is, an overly dark, shiny UT3 mod that they are charging for.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    £15/$20 isn't bad, you do get a lot for it.

• Full Campaign

·Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High Risk United Nations Task Force) with five unique characters - each with different play styles and strengths - to take on over 20 of levels of single-player gameplay spanning four episodes.
    • Ludicrous Multiplayer

All of our unique multiplayer maps and modes bring back the insane fun and excitement of classic ROTT. Complete with high flying, high scoring, fast-paced in your face action and enough crazy options to keep you entertained for hours on end.
    • Crazy Weapons

They're all back and better than ever! Dual pistols, the MP40, Heatseeker, Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile, Dark Staff, and of course, the Excalibat! Each and every weapon has been re-designed for the most ludircous of gibs.
    • Maniacal Modes

Boom baby! All of the mad modes are back and have been completely re-invented! God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone's favorite, Dog mode! Taking down the Triads has never been so ridiculously fun.
    • Nostalgia Abounds

We heard you like it old school - so now you've got the option to play with all the original ROTT 95 sounds and music or you experience the original soundndtrack completely reforged in the fires of heavy metal! The choice is yours.
    • Fully Moddable

With Rise of the Triad you have the freedom to build your own insane levels, create your own maddening mods and share them with everyone using Valve's Steamworks! All you need is a little bit of know-how and plenty of creativity.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    At 20 bucks I still think it's overpriced.
    Sorry, not trying to be a jerk... but I've seen nothing about it that makes me think it's worth my time. Probably doesn't help that I thought the original RotT was... meh.

I enjoyed the shareware, 'The Hunt Begins'... but once I got the full game... I found it really boring and just tedious. Not fun. It felt like a disjointed mess or random ideas and concepts.

And, I'm a single player gamer. MP means nothing to me. And with the fact that that's all they want to show... I find I'm even less interested.
    Also, doesn't help that I have zero respect for Interceptor.

9. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I wish they would make a proper sequel to the original Quake......

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It was interesting hearing how Half Life was the cause of all these generic story driven shooters we see so much of today.

It wouldn't even cost that much to make a proper sequel to Quake. But, it would never work on consoles, as the controllers are not up to the job. Perhaps that's the reason why.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Its not $20 anymore, its been under $15 for quite some time and I think that's more than fair. That pre-order also comes with the throwback pack that has the original game and such http://store.steampowered.com/app/217140/ There is no way I'm going to miss this one, as I was a huge fan of the original back in the 90's. A good friend and I are getting a copy and were going online MP with it pronto.

If anyone here gets Rise of the Triad and wants to get in on some MP with us, let me know! We can add each other on Steam and get some game on.

:cry: :biggun:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I pre-ordered it a couple weeks ago and eagerly awaiting the 31st

13. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    yeah, im all over this like crazy. I loved the original even though I was just a kid. My dad still has it on disk.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Just pre-ordered this last night and can't wait for its release on the 31st! I really hope the multi-player lives up to the hype :D

That free Apogee Throwback Pack included is a welcome inclusion. I fired up the original ROTT last night and had some fun with it. Damn does that look its age though... I can't believe we thought those games looked that good back then lol.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Finally got round to pre-ordering this myself. £11, not too bad.

16. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I played the first one as shareware back in the day. I actually bought it at Target a while after it came out...the disc has rise of the triad and terminal velocity on it. The Rise of the Triad game has some extra pack that includes 1000 new levels or something crazy.

It had some nice features for a shooter at the time. I remember enemies could take your weapon if you got too close to them.

I can remember playing the original with my Flanders neighbor who would get pissy when I shot the guys who would get down and beg for mercy. If you didn't kill them they would just get back up.

I would rather see other Apogee titles getting "reboots" instead of just what will end up as a basic deathmatch shooter.

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Preordered for £8 from GMG, nice to see something like this

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Its true Apogee has other notable titles, but I think a good arena style deathmatch shooter is just what PC gaming needs right now. Lets face it, arena shooters have been a dying breed for some time now, and with the failure of recent attempts like Nexuiz, this niche genre needs a big name to generate interest again. I'd love to see this new ROTT gain a lot of traction online and for arena shooters to stay alive! :infinity:

19. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Maybe so, but ROTT is not really a big name. Only die hard pc gamers will have heard of it, where as most everybody knows what Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake are.

20. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ eh, its definitely not as big as those three but it should be a fairly recognizable name. Since were definitely not seeing a new Quake anytime soon and Doom isn't really a multi-player title, ROTT may be the best were going to get for a while!