The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Iam missing your point. Using the Bios that came with your card and no hardware mod, how would you be risking your card on 1.025v?

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    RUBBISH!!! My led's make my card faster than yours! ...... :D

3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    As a long time gamer and enthusiastic but amateur system builder I think all time and hard work spent overclocking , bios flashing , voltage modding and potentially risking your expensive gpu to get a higher synthetic benchmark score is absolute madness , I thought i was OCD till i got my TI and started through this thread :D your all crazy here :D Is playing a game at 2150mhz better than at 2000? Each to their own i say this isnt a dig an anyone just an opinion :D

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not sure what you mean there,but in my case I'm finding what are best OC settings for my needs I do render and play games and at 1.025v card would eat less wattage than with 1.093v etc plus thermals will be bit better

I sometimes render 12-16 hours per day and I use Folding@home where wattage and thermals go through the roof

In yours case if you happy then I would care about that, if you want OC yours card bit better then I would suggest try OC through the curves rather than sliders

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Best scores I'm getting in Superposition 1080 Extreme with 2126MHz at 1.075v there which is around 6200, with 2088MHz at 1.05v score is under 6k(5890) and with my highest setting 2138MHz score is 6185

I didn't tried TimeSpy as I'm still on Win7

But my daily used OC settings are with 2116MHz with which I'm getting best performance in games or in rendering, 2138MHz are great but with them I'm hitting Power limit quite easy in gaming but not in rendering

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    FYI, I get a score a 6373 with Superposition 1080 Extreme at GPU 2100 & mem +520 on my watercooled FE with temps max 42C. I optimized the GPU clock with the 'curve' in afterburner to reduce the voltage for a given clock. This way I'm less power limited.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

This what I've done as well through the curve, you have nice score there, in my case I'm still on Win7 and older drivers which works for me as I do render and newer versions of drivers cause me lots of issues, but with newer drivers I'm getting better results in Superposition and games bit they're not stable in rendering

Plus you are on i7-4790k with which you still have better results than me with 5820k and cache at 3200MHz and I'm running my RAM at 2133MHz only :)

4790k is great CPU for gaming but not so much for works what I do where I need extra cores

But still great results there:)

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Only if they are red ha ha ha

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Absolutely correct, but this is an enthusiast site after all so many people are interested in wringing the absolute most out of their hardware, irrespective of the gains.
    To me a 1fps gain is pointless but to many the fact they have made a gain is a positive result, each to their own :)

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Got the card going, seems pretty decent.

Will do 2139mhz at 1062v with +500(12ghz) memory..
    I get artifacts at +600 so maybe a middle ground can be found.

Max temp 37c~ but still haven't worked out all air bubbles.
    Also replaced all stock junk EK pads with fujipoly 11w/mk.

Still on FE bios so there's a little bit of throttling.
    Superposition did 78.x FPS on 4K optimized which is pretty good. Should easily do 80+ with XOC bios.

Really have no clue what you're going on about.

ASUS created the LN2 bios themselves with NVs permission for both cards for the sole purpose of LN2 benchmarking/world records..

It just so happens that we are able to use them as well.

Secondly 1080 voltage controller is different than Ti.
    ASUS created the bios for world records, perhaps they decided to force a manual voltage(which you can do with maxwell bios tweaker) or there is a limitation from the actual voltage controller.

Thirdly, 2x8pin vs whatever makes no difference.

6pin/8pin can draw 200watts no problem, well over the spec limit.

I had a kepler titan that would OC with 1.35v drawing well over 400-500 watts alone through 8pin + 6pin non issue.

So again, I don't understand what you're getting at. NV has nothing to do with what ASUS did to customize bios for 2 totally different GPUs.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Welcome to the club Agent-A01 ;)

Thanks for linking the XOC bios Jura, will have to have a look at it eventually. (If one only could sticky single posts up front of the thread so we don't lose them again... can't find anything at overclock.net with their hundreds of thread pages a week...)

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    My PNY 1080 TI is on the way took 4 years to upgrade which is not normal for me. But my 290x did it well for its 4 years

13. CrazyElement

CrazyElement Guest

GPU:
    Deciding
    Guys little help please , I'm finally doing my high-end gaming PC , and I want to use the best 1080 ti GPU on the market. I'm kind of confused can you give me advice what is worth buying , right now im thinking about zotac gtx 1080 TI AMP! EXtreme,
    However there is 2 version with difference 150 euro and the difference in mhz is only 20? Which one do you recommend . Also recommend me please some GPU that can be easy OC.

ZT-P10810F-10P and ZT-P10810C-10P

14. I'll make it simple for you.

All BIOSes are approved and signed by NVIDIA.

XOC BIOS for 1080 is locked at 1.2VID.
    XOC BIOS for 1080TI is completely unlocked.

You can argue that it is because of voltage controller as much as you want but i don't believe that. All you need is to have a look at voltage curves of 1080 vs 1080TI. It's just NVIDIA marketing which did not allow ASUS to release potentially 24/7 unlocked BIOS for 1080s.

Well if you are willing to draw 400W through components built for <300W, then yes, it makes no difference for you :)

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You and your conspiracy theories lol.

NV signs or approves bios.

They did not customize the bios, ASUS did.

I don't think you understand the process on how that works.

Get the cheaper one.

They all OC the same so really does not matter which card you get.

16. Why are you repeating what I just wrote? You are really confused:

And...

You probably don't understand what "approve" means. Check the dictionary. NVIDIA must APPROVE the modifications to sign it.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You are straw grasping here.

NV did not give a set of restrictions on LN2 bios.

In fact, restrictions are set only on certain cards such as Founders Edition and Titan cards.

You believe in your head NV said "Make sure to set a static 1.2v so those cards don't cannibalize our Ti sales."

The only thing NV does for bios is signed it with specific MD5 hash that card will accept to be able to write to bios.

Secondly, if you believe your 'theory', take a look at the spec sheet for the voltage controller.

You will find that many cards are not able to change voltage through I2C commands and will rely on drivers to enforce voltage range.

If you want to change voltage on those cards and make sure driver imposes no restrictions you have to set a static voltage(which in fact many controllers only support for over voltage).

So clearly, since the 1080 and Ti are totally different you cannot say marketing NV bs or whatever else you want to make up.

Lastly, Pascal scales worth sh1t past default range, so 1.2v is absolutely useless for air/h20 cards.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. Power and voltage restrictions are on all 1080 cards via BIOS and drivers. Just run NVSMI to check that every 1080 BIOS has power restrictions.

Yes I do.

Sure, because voltage is driven via drivers, which read the limiting values from BIOS. That is the same for 1080 and 1080TI. It is also very well possible that NVIDIA denied that even via drivers for 1080, just to be sure.

No they just aren't.

It gets you past 2.2GHz range. Together with removed power throttling, that is a nice boost.

19. CrazyElement

CrazyElement Guest

GPU:
    Deciding
    So get the f cause its cheaper and what motherboard give the best advatages for OC??

20. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Okey, msi seahawk 1080 ti in msi afterburner the vcore is locked. Anyway to unlocked it? Or use different program?
    Currently running at 2038 MHz and +100 MHz on memory(temporally) under 56 C degrees at all time(load). Idle is around 38 C .
    Here is the rig:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.