Weird Wireles Mouse issues since installing Win 10 LTSB 2016

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BarryB, Feb 17, 2017.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Since installing Windows 10 LTSB 2016 (which includes the anniversary update) my wireless mouse has never worked 100%!

The mouse is a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 with the receiver about 2 feet away in a straight line, it's also raised about 5 inches high so it has a clear line of sight to the mouse.

The issues are:

1. Mouse clicks not being recognised, this is quite often and moving the receiver closer has no effect, new batteries don't cure this.

2. Mouse suddenly becomes jerky/unresponsive until the receiver is moved about 6 inches from the mouse, even new batteries don't cure this when the receiver is moved back to its original position!

Have read a few KB articles on microsoft about wireless mouse issues but none have worked, things like moving the receiver to a different USB port, locating it in a different place, changing batteries, installing the IntelliPoint software. I've even gone to the extreme of soldering in new left/right mouse buttons but even this has not cured the problem with clicks not being recognised. I've even unplugged all electrical items near the PC so only the PC/monitor is powered and get exactly the same issues.

So really at a loss as the mouse worked fine in Win 10 LTSB 2015.

2. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    that mouse is pretty damn old, dude
    I would just buy a new model and see if your problem goes away
    not worth wasting your time diagnosing

windows 10 does have lots of driver issues with older hardware
    companies just have no incentive to add support
    but it could also be the transmitter in your mouse is dying
    I woudl just replace it

if you have a USB dongle with your mouse
    try moving it to a differnt port near the top
    make sure you are using the computer within 3 feet of the mouse
    if you moved yoru computer farther away it could be dropping signal

3. Kharnak

Kharnak Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TUF
    Get a G900 :)
    Easiest solution, and a nice upgrade.

4. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Try disassembling and cleaning it out. Could be junk under the buttons, in the lens or whatever. Could be just coincidence it happened when you upgraded, or not. Could also try on another system.

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I've had it to bits more times and cleaned it but it still has issues in Win 10. Like I said, before the anniversary update it worked fine, it's a mouse after all and I can plug in the equivalent wired version and have no issues, just the wireless one seems to have gone screwy.

If I could find the exact same one somewhere I'd buy another, but as it's at least 8 or more years old might be difficult, unless there are still some NOS ones about!

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Could be that the anniversary update did something power management related (not necessarily something that can easily be changed).

Going from 8.0 to 8.1 a few years back a similar thing happened, albeit worse. MS decided to use coalescing of input data to reduce power usage. Having forgot about gaming, this caused severe input latency issues in any game that didn't have raw or direct input.

Though perhaps this is something more isolated to mice like yours (had no issues with a Logitech G900).

On a side note, the G900 is a mindblowingly responsive mouse, even when wireless. Expensive, but imo the first wireless mouse where using wireless won't be a latency concern.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Heard a few people not updating to the AU because certain devices stopped working

Try one of the Insiders previews in a VM, see if they've fixed it, if not either buy a new mouse or downgrade back to 1511

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I got the G900 yesterday and packed it up again after 2 Hours.

Too small and the resistance on the mouse click is way too low.

Worked just fine on Win 10 though.