Win7 /Vista and Xp 32bit and 64 bit patchscripts for driver 8.663.3

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by schoko, Jan 6, 2010.

1. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    Win7 /Vista / Xp - 32 bit and 64 bit Firegl- patchscripts ( driver 8.634 )

Hi guys,

it´s been quite a while since i have been here. I just read a few of my private messages, and it seems a lot of people do have problems with the firegl mod. since most of your pm´s are actually quite old i guess i don´t answer them now. instead i post some of my knowledge here.

after reading some pages of the latest thread (the one that gellmar started) it seems to me you guys still don´t have the win7 mod scripts, do you ?

maybe you all know this already, but i guess i should post this anyway :

but just to clarify this and see how well you have been informed in the recent months: it is entirely possible to mod the drivers in Win XP 32 / 64 and windows vista / windows 7 /server2008 in 32 and 64 bit.

For now the patchscripts for driver 8.634 are up. 8.663 are going to be updated soon.

The problem with the x64 versions for vista/win7/server2008 is the driver signing. but with a little tool called DSEO it is possible to get the driver working, without pressing f8 during every startup.

there are other options to get around driver signing, but since i found this is working quite well for me i didn´t test other methods like signing a driver yourself( microsoft provides the tools http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906247.aspx ;) ) or the ready driver plus.

the problem with the missing viewport performance in maya seems to be solved now.the problem was within the atiogl.xml, where the opengl profiles for the different applications are stored. since a few driver versions the autodetect feature of the firegl driver´s control panel does not let you make any changes to the profiles used for a certain application.

i have made minor changes to the atiogl.xml, and now the viewport performance is back to normal. since i only have tested performancein xp64, i can´t tell if overlay is again responsible for other problems in maya. please test this and report back if it works flawlessly.

the modified atiogl.xml can be found here : http://depositfiles.com/files/nv8i5wcqj
    just replace the atiogl.xml in the driver, or if already installed just copy the file to c:\windows.

credits for all the people involved since the beginning of the mod : Unwinder, Huangyan,Yaoz, wesley8, gellmar... and whoever i forgot to mention...
    these patchscripts are partly tested. if there is an error in the script, or the driver version it applies to please let me know.

@ the new users that can´t post in this section

since already some new users( yep, those users with 0 in words zero posts) asking me to patch their drivers i decided to write down how the driver mod is working and tried to describe the necessary steps to modify and apply the patch.

the thread can be found here :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313065
    please discuss your questions / problems / succes stories there.

do me a favor and don´t write pm´s for things that need to be discussed / asked in public.

patchscript for Win7/Vista 32bit driver package 8.634

the correspondig driver can be found here :
    http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2...ied-driver-8.634-windows-7-free-download.html
    or here :
    http://ati.amd.com/products/workstation/certified_graphics_accelerators.html

patchscript for Win7/Vista 64bit driver package 8.634

the correspondig driver can be found here : http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2...driver-8.634-windows-7-x64-free-download.html
    or here :

patchscript for Winxp 64bit 8.634

the correspondig driver can be found here : http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2...river-8.634-windows-xp-x64-free-download.html
    or here :

patchscript for Winxp 32bit for driver package 8.634

the correspondig driver can be found here : http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/2...ed-driver-8.634-windows-xp-free-download.html
    or here :

This script has not been tested yet if it is fully functional, so please give some feedback if it works or not

Driver Signature Enforcement for Win Vista, Win7 and Server2008 32bit and64bit

to have the 8.634 driver working without pressing f8 during every startup in win7 x64 or vista x64 you just have to download the nifty little tool(dseo 1.3b) from here :

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

this applies to win vista and win 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)

before you start installing the modded firegl-driver you need to disable the driver signing in win 7. you have several options :

once you have disabled the driver signing you are ready to use the driver in windows vista and windows7 32 bit

this applies to win vista and win 7 64bit only bit)

for windows 7 and vista 64 bit you just need a few more steps to get this driver working forever :

note that this procedure is necessary for vista / win 7 x64 bit only. the 32 bit drivers install and work after you have disabled the driversigning.

to get rid of the watermark please have a look here :

Windows autoupdate

Now that you have got everything working you have to make sure it stays that way. but if you are using win7 or vista you will soon realise that the automatic update knows it has a better driver for your (radeon-)grapics card.
    you should make sure you don´t have to reinstall and sign the firegl-driver all the time because windows update thinks a radeon driver suits your card better ;)

Some test results for comparison

i have tested my notebook (hd2600 mobility) under win 7 x64 with the "not so famous anymore"- specviewperf10, and the results of those testruns are quite what i call close to windows xp.

here is my first testrun with a patched driver ( 8.634) for win 7 x64 :

Code:
    ---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   36.40

---------- SUM_RESULTS\CATIA\SUMMARY.TXT
    catia-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   31.40

---------- SUM_RESULTS\ENSIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    ensight-03 Weighted Geometric Mean =   20.56

---------- SUM_RESULTS\MAYA\SUMMARY.TXT
    maya-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   89.42

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   27.38

---------- SUM_RESULTS\SW\SUMMARY.TXT
    sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   65.67

---------- SUM_RESULTS\TCVIS\SUMMARY.TXT
    tcvis-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   18.55

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGNX\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugnx-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   22.18
    that was already close to xp64. since i am new to win 7 / vista, i could only guess that all the eyecandy and animated menue und such stuff probably is drawing quite some resources from the graphics card, so iswitched off all the animated stuff under performance settings ( the setting is "adjust for best performance). basicly my win7 x64 looks like xp now.

with the adjust for best performance setting i ran another bench for the same driver and voila the performance is really close to winxp now.

here is my second testrun with a patched driver ( 8.634) for win 7 x64 without the eyecandy :

Code:
    3dsmax-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   37.71

catia-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   32.87

ensight-03 Weighted Geometric Mean =   24.76

maya-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   104.32

proe-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   31.47

sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   66.65

tcvis-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   20.63

ugnx-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   24.22

after comparing these numbers with the old xp benchmarks ( at least for my hd2600 mobility) it seems the opengl implementation is in win7 is quite close to the performance under winxp.

here is a benchmark of the original hd2600 ( xp-driver 8.391)
    Code:
    3dsmax-04 15.05
    catia-02 	11.56
    ensight-03 12.06
    maya-02 	27.06
    proe-04 	9.09
    sw-01 	21.18
    tcvis-01 	5.33
    ugnx-01 	3.83

and patched xp 64 driver (8.391) showed these results :
    Code:
    Run All Summary 

3dsmax-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   32.67

catia-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   30.23

ensight-03 Weighted Geometric Mean =   23.12

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-08 Weighted Geometric Mean =   34.56

maya-02 Weighted Geometric Mean =   109.2

proe-04 Weighted Geometric Mean =   28.29

sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   65.28

tcvis-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   20.33

ugnx-01 Weighted Geometric Mean =   18.32

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. fricoberto

fricoberto Member

Is a good Christmas present ....

Thk Schoko !!!

3. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    Great didn't expect to see you again and then this :eek:

If this works this is a great effort but people should also give credit to Wesley8 and GellmaR for making the first FirePro mods and especially GellmaR for his great support..

I'll check the drivers with CATIA V5 this evening on both XP and 7 X64..

Thank you thank you thank you :banana:

4. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility

actually i didn´t want to spent much time on this, and actually i can´t afford it. i have so many things to do...;)

btw. the thread title might be misleading. was a mixup that i caused. the patchscripts are working on driver version 8.634. if i find some spare time in the next weeks i´ll update those scripts for 8.663.3.

5. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Yes it is a bit confusing, I tried the XP 64 script with 8.663.3 driver with no luck.. But 8.634 driver is working great on Mobility HD4670 and Windows 7.. Hopefully you find the time to update the scripts to work with the new drivers..

btw.

You are from Germany?

6. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    yeah, sorry i know that... i mixed up the driver versions, since i already worked like 16 hours i decided to post this here... guess i should have slept first and posted then...

i already pm´ed joshua about fixing the thread title visible in the forums. hope he´ll change the thread title for me, since i can´t edit it.

yes. how do you know ? have you been to notebookreview ? ;)

7. khogan112

khogan112 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia 9600M GT 512MB
    It is great to hear from you Schoko.

It was due to your posts I first became involved in softmodding, built a number of softmodded workstiations for our engineers... and after that I became interested in workstations...

Now I am operating my own workstation build and sell business using Quadro FX cards.

Thanks again.

8. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    schoko,

welcome back and thanks for the work done after I had to leave for ReactOS and some other projects development last several months... By the way, if 8.663.3 driver does not work again like 8.5xx drivers, I can help with the patch of ATI user-mode renderer (by that time I reversed the whole chain and found a bug in their code affecting the performance - and that bug looked like an advanced protection).

Anyway I am here again and ready to help.

gellmaR

9. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Ja kenne die Seite, habs aber auf Grund deines Namens erraten ;)

@GellmaR

Welcome back =)

Edit:

I tried the XP64 script with 8.634 driver and HD3870 but when I want to change resolution the screen turns black and stays like this..

Here's what I did:

Patch ati2mtag.sy_ with unmodified patch script, did not change the force firegl thing (I think standard was Force FireGL V8600)... Recabbed the resulting ati2mtag.sys (makecab ati2mtag.sys) and copy the resulting ati2mtag.sy_ over the old one.. Then I added the line for my card to the inf and installed manually after uninstalling previous driver and rebooting..

Do I have to also mod the patch script with device id? I didn't do this on the other patch scripts and it worked..

The Windows 7 X64 patch works great on my Notebook...

Edit2:

Got it work, had to modify the script with the dev ids and now it works great! thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    @ the new users that can´t post in this section

since already some new users( yep, those users with 0 in words zero posts) asking me to patch their drivers i have decided to write down how the driver mod is working and tried to describe the necessary steps to modify and apply the patch.

the thread can be found here :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3417053#post3417053
    please discuss your questions / problems / succes stories there.

do me a favor and don´t write pm´s for things that need to be discussed / asked in public.

@ cadcat

ich bin doch transparenter als ich dachte ;)

hab grad dein posting gelesen, aber scheinbar hat es sich ja erledigt. war nur ein frage der richtigen device id, oder ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

11. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Jupp das war es, hat mich nur gewundert, dass ich die letzten skripte von gellmar nicht modifizieren brauchte, da hab ich mit dem default script die ati2mtag.sys gepatcht und nur in der inf die zeile für meine Karten hinzugefügt und es lief.. Genauso bei deinem W7 X64 script, das hab ich auch unmodifiziert benutzt und der Treiber läuft wunderbar mit meiner Mobility HD4670 (dev id 9488) obwohl diese id offensichtlich nicht in deinem script ist..

12. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    good to hear you have your own business started by doing something you are interested in.

yeah i know how it is to be drowning in work, i have a lot of work to do myself, and i won´t be around in the next time again. I will have to finish my sideprojects now and start my phd-studies.

we´ll see if there is more to the 8.663 driver.
    btw. i have read some pages of the thread you started (8.44 and higher..), and it seems you did a good job for a lot of people here. Hope you keep up your work.

@ all
    i hope you do understand that this firegl-mod and it´s tradition is done by people that don´t do this to earn money, it is more a hobby. you should have patience when there is no patch available as soon as a new driver is released. i do hope you understand that not everybody can be around all the time.

credits to the people that were involved in this since the beginning a few years ago : Unwinder, Huangyan,Yaoz, wesley8, gellmar. Especially huangyan has released quite a few scripts for this firegl mod recently.

13. danielvcp

danielvcp Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870
    Hi, im from Argentina, first, many thks to all for doing this job.
    i softmodded my 4870@8700 on win 7 x64 succesfully, but i have some issues running specviewperf x64 tests, the bat window open, but then the test doesnt do anything, on specviewperf x86 tests runs very well

have anyone the same problem?

thks

cheers from Argentina

14. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    I only tested with Mobility HD4670 on W7X64 without any problems, did you do all the steps? I will test on a XFX HD4890 this weekend and report back..

15. danielvcp

danielvcp Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870
    Yes, on XP x64 I can run x64 tests, on W7x64 the mod seem to work fine, but I cant run Specviewperf x64 tests, I got about 8200 on cinebench x64 opengl test

16. Johnpv

Johnpv Member

GPU:
    HD4870
    Just wanted to say thank you! Also for the link on how to do the patch, it had been awhile since I had done it myself and totally forgot all the steps. I softmodded my Sapphire 1gb 4870 into a FirePro V8700 and its running great! Windows 7x64 here.

17. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Hm I think you did something wrong as ViewPerf x64 is running fine on my W7x64 system.. Maybe you can write what you did exactly, so we can locate the problem..

18. danielvcp

danielvcp Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870
    No, i had been "patching" since 8.453 drivers, im sure that i did ok, today I tested with original catalyst driver and did the same. Maybe i have to reinstall specview, or be a problem with my 7 x64 Prof. ? I read at specview site, that Specvieperf 10 has some issues on 7 x64, perhaps im not the rule exeption :3eyes:

Thks anyway CADCAT

EDIT: i have reinstalled Specviewperf and now goes fine

Code:
    Viewset Composite Mulitsample Performance 
    3dsmax-04 49.70 no result  
    catia-02 41.66 no result  
    ensight-03 54.75 no result  
    maya-02 225.73 no result  
    proe-04 40.98 no result  
    sw-01 95.48 no result  
    tcvis-01 35.24 no result  
    ugnx-01 55.82 no result 
    Q6600 @3.0 XFX 4870 512MB @ firepro 8700 on W7 x64 Profesional

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  19. maxpoz

maxpoz Active Member

GPU:
    Ati X1600
    Hello
    I softmodeed my 4870@8700, it works perpectly and I also have beneficial in max but ...
    after a few hours, win7 automatically reinstalls the original driver why?
    Every time I have to reinstall the driver with "have disk" method

20. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    the answer can be found in this thread :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313065

basicly it happens because of windows update.

The problem you are experiencing is caused by windows update. The automatic update recognizes your card as radeon 3870 and thus it wants to install a "better" driver for you.

to get rid of this you will have to set windows update to manual, or at least to check for updates, but let me choose to install. you will have to review your updates, and hide/deny the update for the grapics card.