Worth it?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by vg24a3, Aug 14, 2014.

1. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I'm thinking about upgrading my 4770k to Skylake when its available. I realize nobody knows anything for sure but historically speaking, what kind power increase can I expect. Btw is the mainstream desktop version going to finally have more than 4 cores?

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Can't really answer much here, however I would doubt mainstream Skylake would have more than 4 cores, though there will be DDR4 for Skylake mainstream products I believe

Perhaps we'll see more cores in the mainstream segment with 10nm Canonlake but who knows.

3. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I like intels products as they are solid but I hate their greedy stalling policy. ever since they have no true competition it takes ages to see some real life improvements...

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I can say with 99% certainty that it wouldn't be worth it unless you are a tech-junkie who like messing with the latest thing.

AFAIK, there will be no 6 cores and you'll be looking at 10-20% clock for clock max on what you have.

I can't imagine any practical use for upgrading. The only way you can realistically go is for Haswell-E if you are needing an extra 2 cores for some reason.

5. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I don't desperately need extra cores but I do a bit of rendering and they do come in handy. It is a bit frustrating that they are stuck with 4 cores for so long...