TimeGate Studios file for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 2, 2013.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    One time F.E.A.R. and Section 8 devs TimeGate are having a hell of a time recently. Not only where they caught up in the Aliens Colonial **** up debacle but they also lost the rights to the Section 8 name and now owe a reported $7.35 million to ex publishers Southpeak Interactive.

[​IMG]

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/2/429...te-studios-aliens-colonial-marines-bankruptcy

I adored both S8 games personally. Bad times but then money owed is money owed, someone pay the pizza dude's at least!

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, considering all reports point to TimeGate being the studio that made A:CM the game it is... the blame for the game's fundamental gameplay issues do fall on them.

But really, I'm not surprised. TimeGate have always been meh at best. Their FEAR expansions were absolutely terrible.

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    who's next gearbox software ? (when they return the a:cm money they used to develop bordlands2)

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Gearbox isn't going anywhere.

And people need to forget those rumors of misplaced funds. SEGA funded A:CM, and 2K funded Borderlands 2.

5. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Of course, Gearbox were the real victims in this train wreck of a game :rolleyes:

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And where did I ever say that?

I didn't put blame on anyone because it's just a game. Bad games happen. I didn't demand Bethesda be hung up when Brink turned out to be a steaming pile.

Just saying those "claims" of GBX using funds for BL2 were unsubstantiated. Specially with the amount of funding 2K was throwing at Borderlands 2.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Completely disagree.

Not only where the Section 8 games some of the best team based online games I've played in recent memory but TG's first F.E.A.R. expansion pack Extraction Point was great.

I never understood how S8 never took off more than it did as it's such a fun game when played properly with the right people.

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    *cough* Rogue Warrior *cough*

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Rogue Warrior was developed by Rebellion Derby. Your point was?

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    THIS. Brink was from Splash Damage/Microsoft and scored a 7/10 average, Bethesda published Rogue Warrior which is just about the worst game ever.

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Ah ok.

Brink was truly horrendous and should never have been released IMO. TimeGate titles at least held an air of AAA quality about them even though they were all primarily budget based releases.

12. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    If you believe that A:CM was just "A Bad Game" then your opinions mean squat. Gearbox decision to outsource it set off a chain of events that killed this title. And to add insult to injury, they have the gaul to charge for DLC which should have been in the game from the start.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    "Well, considering all reports point to TimeGate being the studio that made A:CM the game it is... the blame for the game's fundamental gameplay issues do fall on them.

But really, I'm not surprised. TimeGate have always been meh at best. Their FEAR expansions were absolutely terrible. "

I dunno what to say to you at most times.

The game as is, is because of GBs mismanagement. Ultimately. If TG is so bad and "meh", why would GearBox hire them to complete A CMs? If TG sux azz, then I guess GB were not too smart in hiring them.... right? Again, mismanagement.

Imho there is way more going on behind the scenes than WE know. And while YOU may wanna lean on the every word that GB feeds you, imo the real truth is prolly stranger than fiction as far as A CMs goes. And no, all reports do not point at TGs failure. A good many of those reports cite GB as being just as culpable if not moreso for A CMs lacklustre reception.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Were did I ever say I was happy when GBX brought TimeGate in to work on the game?
    I wasn't. I was instantly put off when I read they were working on the game. I thought it was a bad move from the minute I heard about it.

15. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    TimeGate are said to have now shut their doors...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...te-studios-has-been-shuttered-report#comments

Another of my favourite devs gone. I hope someone somewhere one day pays for this entire **** storm with their own job and departs the industry for good. They deserve nothing less.

Sorry Damien but like or dislike them as a developer the sooner you realise they were completely ****ed over by being involved with Gearbox the better.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I may not have liked them as a studio, but I'm not happy that people lost their jobs. That's never a good thing.