MSI Afterburner 2.2.3 (2012-07-24)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    no sry, as i said thuo msi engi's will have one out sooner or later
    A user tells me its working ok up to 1.35v and another showed a 1440 run in 3d11 cant moan about that...so its not the worst news we could get by far :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. michaelrw

michaelrw Guest

GPU:
    680 lightning
    well my multimeter is reading a max of 1.349v during 3dmark11 so it looks like weve definitely gained about 100mv extra, even though GPUZ isnt showing it..

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    dont use software to read voltage thats why msi put the volt read spots there man :)

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

A few things to keep in mind while overvolting 680 Lightning / 670 PE:

1) Even considering that it is showing you the same +100 as before, it is absolutely not the same overvoltage mode like on reference 680. On original 680 adding +100mV offset is done via NVIDIA driver and it just moves clock/voltage mapping curve a bit, limiting the maximum on NVIDIA driver level (1175mV on regular cards or 1215mV on Lightning with previous Afterburner versions). 2.2.3 deals with voltage regulator directly and it adds +100mV to any voltage commanded to VRM by NVIDIA driver. So under load it results in 1215mV + 100mV VID.
    2) You cannot use GPUZ to monitor voltage control on 680 Lightning / 670 PE. Currently it shows target VID read from NVIDIA driver on these cards, it needs to support advanced VRMs of 680 Lightning / 670 PE to monitor proper voltage. Use DMM to control voltages.

5. xoleras

xoleras Guest

GPU:
    msi lightning gtx 580 sli
    Why are nvidia being arseholes about this? The card is well capable of handling additional voltage, they can't apply reference card methodology to aftermarket cards..

:bang:

6. xoleras

xoleras Guest

GPU:
    On a side note, thanks very much for the continued work on afterburner, unwinder!

You are the man. :banana:

7. xoleras

xoleras Guest

GPU:
    :bang:

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think evga just kisses nv's as5 more then other brands.

thanks for the good work unwinder...now you have a vacation waiting :)

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Annoying sure -- Arsehole no -- Extreme Voltage tweaking for the masses is dangerous and blown GPUs cost them money.

NVIDIA decided to set an upper limit and that limit will still get you to the ~1250 MHz range.

10. xoleras

xoleras Guest

GPU:
    Sure, thats fine for their reference design but is assinine for aftermarket cards. Aftermarket cards still have an upper voltage limit, it is just slightly higher than reference design and IMO is still safe. If aftermarket cards allow +100 more mV I don't see the issue with that. The coolers can handle it whereas reference cannot.

What nvidia is doing is applying reference voltages to all cards which is downright stupid.

11. Conrad.TDI

Conrad.TDI Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1gig
    Thanks once again for continuing to develop this great utility!

12. the_end

the_end Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a 680 Lightning.. When I read your post, I say "yay voltage increase, buy a Lightning!", but Hilbert Hagedoorn says:

and

"So while everything as described above is possible it in the end means that only the first batch of 5000 cards will have an OLD Bios that is freed up from the limitation and thus allows voltage tweaking to a certain extent. We can only assume that the old BIOS will spread like a virus to current Lightning owners to give them a little more flexibility on voltage tweaking matters. However you'd also need a special MSI AfterBurner build to support it."

Unwinder and Hilbert contradict each other :confused: Confusing..

13. actionjksn

actionjksn Member

GPU:
    EVGA & BFG GTX 275 SLI
    Switch

This is turning into a bunch of nonsense. They need to allow a special switch that you can flip that automatically removes all restrictions and at the same time voids the warranty. This way the tweakers can do their thing and Nvidia never have to worry about ever having to RMA the card. They could put some kind of a seal on the switch or some kind of an electrical thing that detects if somebody chose to use the warranty voiding, restriction lifting switch. Then everybody is happy and I don't think it would be all that hard to implement. I suppose it might also require a modified driver although that would probably involve removing more stuff that adding it. So what do those professional extreme overclockers do like Kingpin and Shamino do about these restrictions?

14. DrBoss

DrBoss Guest

GPU:
    SLI MSI 670 Power Edition
    Is anyone able to confirm that AB 2.2.3 does unlock voltage control on the MSI N670 Power Edition as indicated in the release notes? I won't be able to test it on my PE until tonight. I would really appreciate if someone could confirm/deny.

15. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Despite all the "noise" regarding Nvidia/MSi marketing "tricks" (to be polite), I want to thank Unwinder for putting his talent/effort on improving our Lightnings.

Hope I have the one with older BIOS and that AB let me "squeeze" more juice from it.

¿Is downclocking/volting working when overclocked/volted and can we apply OC/OV on restart? (I don't have my card mounted yet). I've read Guru's3D article and I did not get it clearly.

Kindest Regards!

16. xoleras

xoleras Guest

GPU:
    edit: delete

17. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Thanks Unwinder and MSI ! I am always pleased to see new versions... good job ! :)

18. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is indeed triple voltage control and better voltage control that any other vendor is currently able to offer. Anyway, good luck flooding into ASUS forum then.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Don't bother, he's been removed from these forums after I checked out the rest of his trolling posts. The guy is a tool, and insults everybody and anything.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super