Star Citizen Free until Sept 5th

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Extraordinary, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  2. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Looks like a trial version valid till sep 5?
    I doubt this is full game.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, that's why I posted "Free until Sept 5th" lol

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Sweet thanks!

Ugh, downloading is really slow, 1.5mb/s. :bang:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well that was disappointing, for 13GB you get next to nothing

Got bored after a few minutes, not much to do at all

Pleased I didn't buy it

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Bear in mind this is still not even considered a Mk 1 Alpha let alone Beta....

There is an incredible amount of content yet to come!!!

All there is meant to be out now roughly consists of:

- Hangar for some of the engine ready ships
    - Ability to enter & walk around those ships
    - Some Combat modes (Vs AI or PvP + a non combat mode)for a limited number of smaller vessels (only the Aurora for Free Trial I believe)
    - Shortly there will be Alpha V0.9 update where racing will become available + Multiplayer matchmaking so you can play with friends + a new co-op combat mode + two new flyable (racing) ships: M50 and 350R

This Arena Commander is an ingame flight simulation mode and does not encompass any of the main details of the game - it is here to balance test ships, play testing and server load testing.
    - Although it does give us a much anticipated taste of the game, it is still primarily a (combat focused) Test.

The main game is going to be a much broader experience with much more focus on exploration, trading, even mining and industry for those that desire it.
    Branching off that will be possibilities from piracy or perhaps becoming a bounty hunter to help combat those of that ilk.
    Larger multi-crew ships will encourage cooperative group play in all areas, something a great many of us have been Longing for in such a game for a long time.

The game has a PVE focus while allowing for PVP at the same time providing safer regions of space + options to reduce possibilities of PVP for that wish to avoid it.

Throw all this into a Huge gameplay area with possibly some of the richest background lore of any game to date in an ever expanding "known" Universe only limited by our imagination (CIG are always listening to our input too) provides a great background for the freedom to play in the ways we choose according to our own desires in a dynamic Persistent Universe which responds to our actions and will even change the flow of the fate of balances of power according to players actions on a whole.

The "living" Persistent Universe is filled with millions of NPCs with active real purposes within their various "ecosystems". When players destroy a freighter, the factory waiting on that cargo delivery will have to slow production until another resupply successfully reaches them...
    - the possibly destroyed freighter will need all is components, from engine, navigation computers & weapons, to be supplied to the factory constructing its hull before final delivery is made and the ship can be put back into service.
    This whole system of supply extends right back to the miners gathering & purifying the ores!

All this of course impacts market values as supply and demand fluctuate.
    All this goes on all the time allowing players to dive in to any aspect of gameplay they feel they will be interested in. (successful enough players can even decide to invest in and run their own factories if they so desire!)

Play as Lonewolf, Pirate Lord with your own hidden asteroid base with fleet of ships at your command, or content yourself with more peaceful strategies of building up a successful business empire.
    - or perhaps decide to crew up with friends and take the fight to the hostile Vanduul, seeing if you can find a weakpoint in their war machine and strike a painful blow, something that could gain you and your crew Universal fame perhaps!?

Well, though all this is yet a way off, we can start making friend and grand plans while using the early versions of the in game Arena Commander space simulator to hone our skills until the main Universe launches :)

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    CBA downloading, ive already seen it being an Original KS backer and i wasnt impressed tbh. It will be good i think, its just gonna take a couple of years.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea agreed it likely will be great, I just can't understand why it was 13GB for such a tiny amount of game

9. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    This isn't the game with the "infinitely expanding universe"? I'm not so caught up on the indy scene.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not in this download it's not, you don't have very far to fly until it tells you that you're about to hit the edge of the simulation zone, if you hit it, you die

11. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah, the problem with Star Citizen is that it became the greatest scam ever. Not ilegal, people spend ridiculous sums of money for equally ridiculous content, with no end in sight.

By the time they actually make a fully playable game, they already made millions.

12. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
    Worst and most ignorant post i have seen here in the Guru3d.com forums. :stewpid:

it is not a scam, and it is being fully crowed funded with no investment by large banks or publishers they have not "made" millions, they have stock piled millions which all goes in to the games development. they do not just pocket the money without doing the work needed to get the game out, they get normal paychecks out of the money they have collected.

Chris Roberts did not just stick the 52million they have in the bank and run off to the bahama's, they have so much done for this game we just have not seen it all, one of the biggest things they plan to have in by the end of the year or shortly after is full double precision which essentially gets rid of the primary limiting factor we have in games and that is being a game world with a rough max of around 8Km x 8Km to one that is capable of over a 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 Km game area.

That alone is a major under taking and a major advancement for PC gaming, which they have to write them selves for the cry engine converting it to double precision. that is just one of the major back end features they are working on that we do not really see.

so much is being worked on in parallel too they have multiple studios around the world all working on different aspects and the simple fact that they have a working dogfight module so early on is pretty amazing. if this was a normal published game we would not even know this game exists yet.

13. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    I honestly cannot even fathom how super amazing this game will be, i call this the next "WoW" of space sims :D

Downloaded it today, it looks like crap maxed out, and glitches are REAL! Of course i know its alpha and all.. i expected it to look bit better, but that will have to wait it seems.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Have to agree..

People who claim that CIG is scamming or defrauding people of their money somehow, people who are willingly giving over money to participate in the game's development.. just wow.

Seems there is no end to the stupidity that is shown online day to day.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It is pre alpha and 0.9v patch is not out yet so yeah.... What were you expecting?

There's SC thread already.

There are lots of stuff in that 13 GB that you are not able to see. There are some hidden assets plus other hangars and ships onviously take space.

Maybe it's just me (as a programmer) but CIG has exceeded my expectations in many ways.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

16. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    I was impressed by the in-engine footage I saw coming out of Gamescom. Multiple players on a moving ship, firing turrets at other player ships. It worked. A player ran from a decompressing area into a sealed space. It worked.

With the Arena Commander module that we have now, we're really only seeing a tiny piece of what's going on.

When you consider the fact that full release will be in 2016, the amount that they already have done is solid.

17. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah sure, have fun spending money, I mean, "funding" a game that you'll only be able to play in about 2 years.

They have more than enough crowdfunding. But hey, it's your money, have a blast "pledging" 60€ for a single ship in a non-existing game.

But yeah, I'm the stupid one. Stupid for reminding you that it became a scam.

Star Citizen is a prime example of crowdfunding gone wrong. I had such high expectations...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It's not for me, i think i would have liked it if it was more arcade style.

Hitting the bots was pretty hard. :bang:

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    maybe they should have released a standalone download that is much smaller and only let's you play what is currently available. because I have to agree, 13gb download for not much playable content is a bit meh.

Blizz do this with their PTR and betas, standalone clients.

20. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    You can hardly say it became a scam when Chris announced was planning to close continued crowd funding after the main 1st Early push and build the game with what he had (+about an extra $16 he would obtain from investors)...

Before taking that route he asked us, the community, if we would like him to do that, or as many in the forums hoped keep the funding open so more money could be gained allowing them to hire more staff etc to add more content & add it earlier than planned.

What CIG are doing with the funding is what we wanted and Asked for, so it can in no way be described as a scam lol

CIG are also pretty damn open about where all the money is going too.
    They have massively advanced many features ahead of schedule - like:

- creating a procedural generation team
    - atmospheric flight and planetary landings
    - planetary exploration

Those are some things that were not going to originally be tackled for many years yet, but thanks to the very successful funding they are working on them Now already ^^

You don't Have to put money into this project - which is what you are Really buying, not the ships, at this stage. A Great Many of us are Very excited about this project and the way it is being run, because of our faith in CIG and how things are turning out we enjoy "investing" fairly large amounts of money we can afford into helping advance this Dream of ours and make it as Good as it can Possibly become <3