New Apple Mac Pro Available Starting Today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its a bloody bog brush holder :confused:

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    One warning to all. That's all you get. But one thing though, look at how many 4k streams it can do at once. 16.

3. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    you must be insane if you buy this
    all you pay for is that apple logo

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    And that convenient reach around. If I had to choose between Microsoft and Apples offerings, I'd have no problem sleeping at night knowing I had an iMac in the other room.

EDIT:

Oh wait.....there is an iMac in the other room. :wanker:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

5. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ok, it looks like a trash can, but...

We use PCs, where card vs mobo layout is pretty uncool for today's power-hungry computers. It was ok 2-30 years ago, and now we're buying huge cases to deal with airflow issues, especially high static pressure requirements for graphics cards, and as a result of this - noise. A lot of space is not used properly, and they had guts to design something on their own. Of course they could, as it's Apple. If a PC manufacturer did that, they'd be blamed for ditching the standards etc. Let's not forget, that Dell has been using custom heatsinks for a long time, and the components were standardized.

Of course the price is inflated, upgrade possibilities are poor, and the heatsink is definitely not enough for this computer running at full power (it'll overheat and throttle, as Macs do in general).

I think that there should be some new cases made, where you can easily use PCI-E risers in order to give the end user more flexibility when installing components.

7. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    All jokes aside that thing is a monster for the size of it. Couldn't build a mini itx system even close to those specs in that small form.

To bad the price is so insane, $13,000 for top of the line......

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The price of the outgoing Mac Pro was insane too. This is just a neat idea. We shall see how it works.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Cleaned up thread, gave infractions out, anymore will results in more infractions.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

How many would consider buying one if it looked like this?

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Why not many bought them when they looked like this:

[​IMG]

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  13. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Problem is price, i could buy a lot better pc with this kind of money.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's a fantastic piece of engineering. Incredible amount of power in that tiny form factor.

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I take it you've never actually laid your hands on an Apple product have you? If so, then your comment is about as knowingly dishonest (read: lie) as one could make.

First of all, PC chassis makers even comes close to the build quality of Apple computers. And this has been the case for over 15 years. I recently converted a PowerMac G5 case to ATX for a hackintosh build, and that thing was built like a tank. All solid aluminum that's 2-3x thicker than PC cases. The price to build such a solid case must have been huge, which is part of the reason why the computer when new had cost my friend $3500 back in 2005. Everything they make that i've used over the years has a very high quality feel to it, usually being aluminum or magnesium, and rarely will you find cheap plastic.

The reason people buy a Mac Pro is that they need legal OS X on a powerful machine, which is often the case with content creators. And despite the overwhelming difference in capabilities between brands, I don't see that specific group complaining about the specs in the new Mac Pro. In fact, most consider it an overwhelming improvement over the previous model, which it rightfully is with workstation GPUs and a PCIe SSD.

Im sure the rebuttal to that is they should just go get a powerful PC and save the money. Unfortunately that's not really an option in the digital content world where Mac Pro's are industry standard. My father is a graphic designer and has always had either PowerMac's or Mac Pros, and the last thing he wants to do as an old guy is try to learn an entirely different operating system and put up with malware and viruses which are far more common on PC even though some have caused mac's problems recently.

16. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    They better could have made the case transparant, then it looks a bit like R2D2 :)
    I think the idea of the cilinder is quite nice, but the design as is, isn't convincing (hence the trash-can remarks)

[​IMG]

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not entirely true, and you need to be more specific to make that statement.

I talk with companies in the 'digital' arena and that could encompass many disciplines, including graphic design.

I stand to be corrected, but the stigma of Mac's being de facto in anything creative is a hold-over from the days of desktop publishing in the 80's and early 90's.

Globally, in 2013/2014, I would really like to see a breakdown of the stats across all creative industries in terms of mac versus pc usage - because I honestly do not think there has been much if any change over the last 10 years.

If there had been a change in Mac's favour, then the price-elasticity of demand would mean the price of a kitted-out Mac Pro would not be $15,000 - because that's just a stupid figure.

If the demand was higher, they would offer a lower price. Fact.