Vsync Microstuttering frustrations

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Jun 19, 2014.

1. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I don't use 60 FPS cap because it increases tearing always in the same part of the screen, which is why I offset it by a few frames, for example 58 or 62. No V-Sync, of course.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you gona tear regardless with vsync off, only thing that is gona stop tearing it vsync being on....

Win 7? could trying disable desktop composition see if it helps with studdering win 8 has similar feature its just not simple to disable it cause there is no disable desktop composition feature last i checked.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Desktop composition/Aero is disabled. I only use it when windowed programs need Vsync.

Yeah i've used that test before. Best I could do was 50Hz

Appreciate the responses everyone

4. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Never said it didn't tear, just that capping FPS at exactly 60 causes a really slow tear in one part of the screen which is really distracting.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Then you've never played Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress or any other game on Source engine

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I did. Countless times.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah TB with most Source games murders input lag for me.
    This improved the latency a little. But didn't eliminate it. And is still a ton compared to no vsync. Typical source engine. Which is annoying.

With no Vsync +60FPS cap I can aim straight on the dot quickly baring the input lag from my monitor and mouse which isn't great.. With TB+60FPS cap+ 1 frame render ahead, I can't do it at all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  8. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    The 60 FPS cap is redundant if you're already using V-Sync.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No it's not. It often reduces input lag and eliminates stutter (which you see as FPS varying between 58-59-60).

@OP: Grab a 120Hz monitor and get it over with.

10. zefs

zefs Member

GPU:
    GTX 780
    Have you tried Vsync on and frame limit at 59 fps?

11. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    I've never experienced this. All I know is that there is annoying judder (it looks like screen shake) whenever frame rate falls below refresh rate when V-Synced, even with triple buffering enabled to eliminate the half-refresh FPS drops.

FIFY

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It does help with input lag octiceps, in some cases pretty dramatically. The judder is there, but at long as you can keep your FPS at that 58 or 59 the judder will at least be consistent and predictable, unlike a variable FPS bellow your refresh rate and vsync (like TB or using borderless window).

I'm jelly of people who cannot feel the input lag vsync gives you. Unless I'm using a controller, I simply cannot use it. It will honestly give my mouse hand cramps because I over compensate for the loss of precision.

13. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Yeah V-Sync input lag is unbearable for me. Reduced controller responsiveness and increased latency is killer in any competitive online FPS or RTS/MOBA that requires precision mouse aim and instantaneous reaction time. I'm probably wondering how people play with V-Sync on the same way they wonder how I can live with tearing. :p

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    people use to it? I have never gamed on any of PC with vsync off as tearing is unforgiveable to me, and makes prettiest of games look ugly, as such i never really notice this input lag.
    And pisses me off to no need when tearing happens on consoles games. Last time i never noticed input lag ingames on pc with vsync was back in the 90's but like i said i always used it there for i probably use to it I also dont play alot fps cause they all been dumbed down with the hide and regen your health bs system. but i also using wireless mouse and kb for last 3+ years. and i never really notice any input lag when switched, other then the random delay when I start typing.

One of friends never used vsync and have "never" seen tearing in his games. but when tell him to show me this "no" tearing i see tearing but he dont. and that is on 60hz monitor too yet they notice the input lag when puting vsync on, but not obviously visible tearing. Those are the people that boggle my mind,

Wish i never notice tearing, i would not have to suffer the vsync performance hits.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Depends on the game. Most games are poorly coded and have lots of vsync lag (the Battlefield games seem to be one of the most extreme cases.) Others feel very responsive with vsync, though those games seem to be rare these days (Alan Wake for example has minimal vsync input lag.)

Minimal vsync lag is something that the developers need to explicitly take into consideration in their rendering pipeline. It seems that most devs these days simply don't bother.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I stopped forcing Vsync thru NVCPL a few months back and I don't think that was a good idea. Like someone said, games are not good at handling Vsync so maybe it's just better to leave it off in all games and force it globally through NVCPL.

Problem is with games that don't support Triple Buffering and are 64-bit apps. D3DOverrider won't work with them.

17. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    I think this might be useful, but no definitive solution.

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    not quite about the mouse usage for RTS/MOBA

if the game uses a hardware cursor (the one used in windows), then the mouse does not get affected by input lag or a change in fps, only the things happening behind it have lag

19. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Right, but which games still use DirectInput? :p

Most games nowadays seem to override Windows mouse settings, e.g. raw input.

20. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, there are many game just using hardware cursor, then change the cursor icon/scheme.

And yup, the things that rendering under the mouse will be a bit late even you hear the sound effect that move over it. ;)