Enable PCI-E 3.0 On X79 Boost Massive Frames

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Verifying 3.0 Is enabled via GPU-Z

[​IMG]

GTX 680 Quad-Sli on Asus X79 Mobo

[​IMG]

PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0 on Multi Monitor Resulotion Seems like PCI-E 2.0 Is The Bottleneck enabling it to 3.0 Fixes that and unleash full power of X79 Motherboards

[​IMG]

Heres the Link if anyone wanna enable PCI-E 3.0 On their X79 Mobo in Default Nvidia Drivers Disable it but u can force it if you want.

Link: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...n3-support-on-x79-platform-updated-6-19-2012/

You can always revert back to pci-e 2.0 by uninstalling the drivers and installing it again.

Edit: Before enabling This Patch Check ur i7 3930k Revision Using GPU-Z if ur cpu has a revision of C1 then your out of luck ur cpu don't support 3.0 flawelessly now if see ur cpu has Revision C2 then ur in luck ur CPU supports 3.0 flawlessly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    Question:

The i7 3930K does not support PCIE-3.0, then how does it work?

I have 3x 680's 4GB myself on a Rampage IV extreme but forcing PCIE-3.0 does not have any effect on my frames per second.

3. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    Are you using the 301 old drivers or a newer one? I tried this fix with the 314.09 titan driver with a 680 gtx and no dice. It's worked with other drivers though.

4. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Im using 314.07.

Im gonna try it again. did you also force GEN3 in the BIOS?

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    you wont notice on 1080p the performance gain is minimal around 5 percent "Kinda Pointless" But its widens the gap at uber high resolution.

Most Mobo's Support 3.0 Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock and Evga just make sure your motherboard states its supports 3.0.

Edit: Make sure YOU RIGHT CLICK THE PCI-E 3.0 Enabler AND RUN IT AS ADMINISTRATOR or else it wont work lol. it took me couple to figure out a simple solution.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Im using 2560x1600 res.

Im gonna try it anyway lol. Ill let you know ;)

EDIT : when i open as administrator it opens a commandprompt for a sec and it closes again. is that correct?

7. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    I'd love to see if either of you get it working with the 314.09 driver and .07. I'm curious.

8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    It works perfectly on 314.09

PCI-E 3.0 Enabled on X79 with driver version 314.07 If X79 Don't Support 3.0 then it would not even show 3.0 on GPU-Z

[​IMG]

9. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    yup sounds about right then restart ur pc and check gpu z then boom 3.0 baby lol

10. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    Penal,

On Planetside 2 w/ the fix the driver would stop responding. In addition to my 5c of temp addition lol. Which games did you try?

11. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Crysis 3, BF3, Secret World, Dead Space 3, Farcry 3, Alien colonial Marines that's about it. I didn't try planet side too though. all those games I tried gained 3-10 fps its not much but im sure at uber high resolution it will widen the gap

12. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm using 314.09 and I have PCIE 3.0 enabled with the Hack also

13. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, so according to GPU-z im using PCIE-3.0 now.

Ive ran Valley and Heaven 3.0. In valley ive gotten 1fps more than yesterday (68.1fps) but the heaven result is the exact same as before.

14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    The only performance increase difference is when u have multi-monitor set up Those really high resolution which requires a lot of bandwith now for just single monitor you wont notice the performance increase its almost pointless enabling it. but if people just feel better having 3.0 enabled that's works too lol

15. Axaion

Axaion Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Youre forgetting the reason you get that performance gain is because youre running a x16/x8/x8/x8, Ofcourse PCI-E 2.0 x8 limits a GTX 680, thats been known for a very long time.

Someone whos running a single X16 card is not going to get much of anything really. maybe.. 1-2%, which is withing margin of error

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

AFAIK my inspector always said I was on 3.0.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Because you're using IvyBridge cpu with build-in pcie3.0 :)

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Few first revisions of SandyBridge-E demonstrated incorrect PCIE-3 implementation. That`s why NVidia decided to switch to PCIE-2 at the drivers level being installing at X79 mobos.

PS And you can switch it manually (from PCIE-2 to PCIE-3) by adding value 'RMPcieLinkSpeed = [dword]4' under registry key 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\your_adapter_guid\0000'

19. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    anyone else realize that or is it just us two. the boards support PCI 3.0 but i assume thats for the ivy-e releases.

how are you going to take advantage of a technology without the hardware capable of being compatible with the device. odds are it just rolls back to 2.0 even if enabled and your getting some placebo effect.

20. obiwan07

obiwan07 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/NVidia