Dual View and SLi?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CrimsonCleaver, Apr 19, 2005.

1. CrimsonCleaver

CrimsonCleaver Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    Are there any plans to have Dual View work whilst in SLi mode?

I have identical 19" monitors and just wish my second one would be used.

Is this a driver side issue that Nvidia have yet to fix?

Thanks for any help.

2. rilot

rilot Member

GPU:
    2 x XFX 6800 Ultra
    I don't think it will ever be fixed. Have a look at this excerpt from the nVidia SLi FAQ:

It's a shame. I've got two Dell 2405FPWs here. Got SLi disabled at the moment for 2 reasons. Firstly due to the dual monitor problem, secondly due to the SLi+DVI+Widescreen problem.
    Neither of those problems looks like they are going to be fixed.

3. CrimsonCleaver

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    Soz to here bout ur problems too mate.

I'd be fine with it if there was a way to enable/disable SLi without the restart, so then you could attach the command to opening/closing 3d programs, so it would be unoticeable (never use dual view while in a game), but I feel so restricted with one montior.

Also the logic behind it on a lowman's level seems odd. 1 Graphics card can power 2 (or is it 4?!) montiors, but 2 graphics cards can only power 1.

I think us Dual View users need to keep nagging Nvidia about this issue to show that it is a problem for users (SLi users can also be Dual View users, it's not like we're seperated or anything).

4. CTGCollins

CTGCollins Guest

Likewise, I just have a new system and have two of the NVIDIA brand 6800GT graphics cards and They refuse to drive more than one monitor in SLi mode!!! I have two Dell 2001FP monitors, but dual view will only work with SLi turned off! Rip-off, NVIDIA I say... :-(

5. CrimsonCleaver

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    I know how you feel mate, i just have two cheap 19" Relisys monitors (CRT, but damn nice looking), am tempted to sell them and get one high quality 19" flatscreen, but I miss dual view and am prepared to wait for a driver release.

6. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACS³ SLI
    this made me think, how can you have three monitors at once?
    I noticed a while ago there was a computer give away, you can win a hell of a machine. It came with three LCD monitors...
    I did not pay attention to the specs, but how would you have three? I understand that you can use a flight sim, or driving game would work well, but what video card supports three monitors..?

7. CrimsonCleaver

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    This link shows an example of 3 monitors:
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/reviews/3mon_gf4/

1 being only 2d i assume, doubt any games support 3 (I wish more would support 2!!!). But having a large desktop like that is such an advantage, I can't stand having 1 monitor now, so Nvidia, PLEASE fix this!!

8. armhunter

armhunter Master Guru

GPU:
    x2 EVGA 7800GTX 256 ACS³ SLI
    3 monitors and a flight sim... that would be the best!

9. CrimsonCleaver

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    Yeah would be nice :)

Nvidia are really pissing me off with this dual view/SLi thing, I like many read the FAQ that stated that you could run up to two monitors while SLi was enabled (this official FAQ mysteriously got changed when people questioned Dual View and SLi).

I also not that happy with the performance of SLi, I hoped all games supported it, but this is not the case which kind of leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when £380 is in your machine for nothing half the time.

Hopefully though more and more games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will come out that take advantage because that's when it's worth it.

10. Mettez

Mettez Guest

Lo chaps, Ive been experiencing the same problem to the point that i never enable SLI now. i dont wanna restart to go from a working environment to a gaming one. I spent close on £650 and certainly wasn't aware of this problem before i bought. However, Having seen the 3 monitor setup it gave me an idea, use a third graphics card on the pci bus.
    So use 2x6800GT's enabled in SLI with the third 2d only card powering the 2nd monitor. I'm gonna get one of these babies next week> http://www.hisdigital.com/html/9200pci.htm
    I'll keep you posted with the outcome. Of course this won't help you if you have no spare pci slots free:(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005

11. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    guys, no point in moaning about this. it was a well known issue with SLi the day it came out.

its no ones fault but ur own, SLi is still new/protype technology and there are many issues with many aspects of it.

hence y although i want SLi im not bothering till at least the next gen cards when there will be most/all the hardware fixes will be sorted.

targ

12. CrimsonCleaver

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
    Thanks targ for that very informative post...:rolleyes:

SLi IS worth it for new games mate, Doom 3 running at a minimum of 58 fps whilst using Ultra Quality and AS 4x. You'll be impressed by that. It's like having a beast of a sports car that is just lowered too much that you can't go to the supermarket cus of the speedbumps, the little things are annoying, but when it comes to what it's made for, you'll love it.

Only problems are with games such as Joint Operations that just dont see much of a performance boost, this is just a driver problem.

13. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    im not denying the performance, the performance is the reason im looking at getting SLi.

but at the mo theres too many bugs, escapaily when ATi's version is out soon then u can have a good back to back test and get the best solution.

then u get ur sports car that can do the shopping for u, and u can play ur games on ur dual card rig.

targ

14. Mettez

Mettez Guest

lo chaps, I ended up going for a PCI XFX geforce 5200fx with DVI out but cant enable the 2nd monitor successfully for some reason. Its showing a 2nd in display properties but when i click to extend the windows desktop either the system locks up or the monitor doesnt switch from standby. When it does goto standby and i drag a window onto the 2nd and back again it appears garbled and ultimately forces a reset. any ideas if the pci-express to pci step down is the reason why it wont work?? had no problem when it was agp to pci. Perhaps its driver incompatibility? If i dont click to extend the desktop i can check over the display properties and there are tabs for display adapter ie 5200fx aswell as a tab for the 6800gt's is this normal??
    I'm left feeling totally bamboozalled. I may give some modified drivers ago in a last ditch attempt, otherwise it looks like a lost cause.