AMD benchmarking issue

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by Rollo2, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollo2

Rollo2 Banned

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/11/testing-nvidia-vs-amd-image-quality.html#comment-6a00d834515fca69e20134893bdb76970c

Hmmm. Apparently ATi is using some optimizations that reduce IQ by lowering AF to gain a few fps. A return to the brilinear days of yore, pretty obvious in the TweakPC videos.

Just ordered a 6870 to check it out for myself.

NVIDIA Focus Group Member
    NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to
    facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol or nvidia with its bilinear anisotropic filtering., same $hit different story..

you have to manually force trilinear ingame (Fear1,2 and few other games) and then force anisotropic filtering in driver to get normal filtering - trilienear aniso filtering without that bow wash effect..

with blurred filtering in the middle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or force trilinear in config file (unreal 3 games) otherwise same bow wash -bliniear aniso filtering..

or this lame trick in nv control panel: transparency antialiasing - multisampling mode with older gpus G80, g92, g200.. with new 2xx.xx drivers it forces them to use some weak supersampling method instead of true multisampling like with older drivers, but Fermi g100, 104, 110 is allowed and is still using this normal multisampling method.

with old drivers 195 and up to 198 it was normal
    [​IMG]

but now with newer 257 and up to most recent 263.xx its forced to use supersampling: AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALPHA_TEST = uglier image

dont get me wrong i like nvidia, its just these small things that make me mad., and these small things matter the most since it represents final product.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    i m new here.i understood 50% of what usaid.can u plz reexplain those 2 images

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, ive been back with team green for like two days and the nvidia panel already confuses me a little.

i just noticed how when you set the texture quality to high quality mode, it enables trilinear optimisation, which basically runs bilnear filtering in parts of the scene. now the thing i dont get, is if this is meant to be high quality mode, then why does the trilinear optimisation thing say it should be turned off for best image quality... ie. why does it turn on a setting that says it will drop the image quality. lol.

sorry if this was what you were describing the whole time, ive been with team green for 2 days, so im probably missing something obvious in these settings. ive got one more exam to go before i can start trial and error with the settings on this card and some games.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    that's a bug..

its still disabled - check with nv inspector, it started happening with 25.x.xx series drivers.

and that doesn't make bilinear AF, although it - trilinear optimizaiton can make uglier image..

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.