Fractured arm, now i can't straighten it

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sdamaged99, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Hi,

I fractured my arm (upper radial) and was in a cast for two weeks. The cast has now came off but i can't straighten my arm out, it's stuck in a 15 degree angle. I can try and force it but it hurts like hell and feels like its locked - i can't even walk without my arm being at a stupid angle (looks like i'm carrying an invisible handbag!)

The hospital have signed me up for physio, but i could be waiting 2-3 months before it starts and i'm worried my arm may be knackered by then

Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations?

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well being in a cast and no use it's going to be like I'd imagine.

Just try and straighten it occasionally, but don't force it too much, it will eventually come good.

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    +1 Yeah I'd say try & move it occasionally, it will eventually loosen up. I'd also try hot/cold packs. Just give it time.

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Welcome to the guru3d emergency room, please take a seat over there :)

The wait time is currently 5 minutes; Our completely unqualified personnel will be with you shortly.

5. flat3sand5s

flat3sand5s Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX260 SLI
    2 weeks and out of the cast, that's amazing! All my busted stuff took 6 or 7 and all the affected body parts looked and felt like twigs. Give it time, things return to normal agter a while.

6. Andrés

Andrés Guest

qft!

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Well i had that happening to my leg but i was in a cast for 2+ months. For this go see a doctor really.......

8. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    While its normal to have limited range of motion after breaking something, just go see your doctor to be safe if you are that concerned.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  9. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    It takes time dude, when any joint is in a cast it creates a pocket of natural lubrication that pools up and makes it hard to move. just give it a little bit and it will wear away and you will be fine, just keep trying to move it or the pocket could become permanent.

10. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    I had such fracture and spent exactly the same amount of time with my hand in the plaster... However, I had two changes of plaster, during which docs tried to slightly move my hand. And when they finally took the plaster off, doc just straightened my hand by force. It didn't hurt, and I was able to move it just fine right after that. So I guess they should have done the same to you. Maybe it's not too late to ask your doc for some additional assistance.

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I broke tibia and fibula in both legs a while back. When I was able to walk unaided, it took several months for my ankles to get to where they would have normal range of motion.

12. FreeFall

FreeFall Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4800
    That's a bit of a worry. My brother broke his forearm when he was around 8. Unfortunately, the doctor didn't set the bones properly, left him with a crooked forearm, close to the wrist region. Luckily my mother reacted quickly, after the cast was removed. She told the doctor there was a problem, he did an x-ray and promptly re-broke the bone and properly set it right. Sad times. But he's 100% now.

Good luck buddy.

13. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    4 years ago I had a car accident and fractured my left ankle and had it in a cast for about 2 months and when they took the cast off it was hard fr me to walk cause at 1st it felt like needles going into my foot and ankle but after about 2 or 3 months of walking it came back to normal for walking at least took a bit longer for me to start running again though.

14. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    i broke my toe it still hurts :(

15. loquefxp

loquefxp Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6700XT 12GB
    Don't worry im a nurse! :D No really! hehe.. You need a Registered Physio to get you loosened up again and for professional advice (Ooh that sounds naughty) lol.. After seeing the Doctor again of course for a referial. Im assuming since you fractured the top section of your Radial bone, the cast covered your elbow? If this was the case, the reduction in movement of your biceps brachii tendon caused the tendon and surrounding bicep muscle to lose tone and elasticity..

I'd imagine you had a hairline fracture if the cast was only on for 2 weeks? have you had another Xray since it was removed? If I were you, I'd keep it moving as much as you can tolerate (flex your bicep with your arm in a relaxed position) and wear a soft support sling when you go out to protect it (and so you don't look like a nob).. use a pillowcase or something :)

16. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Dr. Takahashi, at your service.
    It's normal for your arm to be stiff and have trouble straightening out after having a cast removed. It can take up to a month before you get full motion of it again.
    In some cases longer.

Take some pain killers, and take a warm shower, but not too hot, and move your arm while running it under warm water to help blood flow.
    Try sleeping on your back with your arms to your side. Let gravity do the work for you.

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Talk to a doctor, not the internet. Jeebus.

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Dude I have broken so many bones it's insane. I've broken each wrist 3-4 times each a few fingers 2 toes, my elbow and nose... it's obviously not something to brag about but what can you do if not laugh.

Don't worry about it, and don't force your elbow, let the bone recover first and then you can work on building the tendons and muscles back up. When you get your cast off, your arm will be so thin it's insane, muscle degeneration is crazy fast when 100% unused. But you just have to take it each, when you get it off, use stress ball, just squeezed it for 10 minutes a few times a day and it will help strengthen your wrist and elbow. Then after a little bit, start using some really really light weights ( rushing it is only ever a bad thing ) maybe 1-2kg and do 30-50 reps a few times a day. Then get some 5kg weights and do 30-50 reps after 2 more weeks etc.

I fractured my scaphoid bone in my wrist and my wrist doesn't bend back at a right angle anymore when I stretch it....only about 75 degrees, which suck knowing i'm f-ed for life....and I fractured my radial head in my elbow skating... I rushed it and f-ed myself up at work. Just do wrist exercises and some light weights, in the mean time, just chill and watch TV...

P.S there is nothing more exciting than having to have a shower with your hand up in the air with a plastic bag over your cast so it doesn't get wet...or watching as your friends swim in your pool while you sit and watch.

19. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm booked to see the doctor next week so he may refer me back to hospital for a double check. You're damn right about the arm losing muscle as well! My arm was a pretty decent size, now it's nowhere near the size of my right arm! Crazy stuff. Looks like i've been doing something excessively :)

Cheers

20. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Get yourself a handbag then, then it wont look quite so odd as having an imaginary one.

Hang on a minute, NO maybe not... he he.