NVIDIA GPU marketshare increases as AMD and Intel drop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This is an article I read on Techspot earlier...gives an overview of AMD's history...doesn't go into too much detail but some may find it interesting.

The Rise and Fall of AMD

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    @pill I am not going to be drawn into some pointless discussion especially when you arent reading everything I said. (re the cpu bit).

one of the main reasons I wont go red is their poor performance re total wars even though last one was "gaming evolved".

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthre...s-and-lock-ups-solution-being-debugged-by-AMD

117 pages, not quite as bad as career mode for fifa13 which is currently fubared across all three platforms :(

p.s and am sure you can list problems for nvidia cards as well. my point being I am not just making up AMD driver issues for the want of an excuse to not buy their gpus...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    this is already expected, nvidia is preffered by most gamers in the world the numbers dont lie. but as of now thier owning the console deparment Wii U, PS4 And Next Gen XBOX 360 are all AMD Powered GPU's those numbers will prolly go up once all consoles are out. i unno maybe im wrong.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's a different issue, it involves freezing and lockups with one game, incidentally I do have Shogun II and it runs fine on my system.

Besides, how do you know it's even driver related? It could be the game itself or any number of things......

Either way you're assuming it's drivers when really you have no grounds to, which is how FUD gets spread around.

There are plenty of AMD owners who don't have any issues...not just me.. :)

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ok. right to save us going back and forth I have a solution! I will keep stum about AMD and drivers until I test for myself next gen.

I did say this before but will stop us bickering! It's probably actually fair considering last cards I had were 5870's.

P.S you're paying the shipping and packaging if its a disaster and i have to send it back :)

p.p.s my get out clause if it's anything like the 480 was (no offence 480 owners) it's a no-no.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Sounds reasonable. :)

Edit-
    I should add that AMD has had some lousy CrossFire support, maybe that's where the bad rep comes from..

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1
    Looking forward to the new series of cards :)

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    figured I waited this long, may as well wait a bit longer for something more powerfull than the 680

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    CrossFire... and Enduro. Both extremely subpar.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    AMD will NOT got out of business at all. People have to realize that they simply are not as big as they used to be. Intel have so much money from other companies paying them money for the x86 licenses and other such things that AMD simply can not compete when it comes to R&D for newer tech.

You have to admit though that their bang per buck/pound/euro etc is excellent. You can get an 8 core CPU for under £200 which is simply absurd and whilst the performance is not on par with Intel the performance is still no slouch by any means. Their APU range and performance is growing dramatically and also the prices are excellent as well. You can build a full system based around an APU that will play mild games @ 720p medium settings for less than £300. Ten years ago this was considered a gamers wet dream.

Also if rumoured specs are to believed then the next gen consoles will be going with a complete AMD system. The PS4 "Orbis" is apparently going to use an AMD APU and an AMD discrete GPU to power the system. If Microsoft go the same route with the 720 and we already know the Wii U uses an AMD GPU as well. They literally have the console market in the palm of their hands. Which will bring in a massive stream of revenue.

Plus their graphics division is still going VERY strong. The 2k series was a massive let down, the 3k series was a step in the right direction and the 4k, and 5k series were amazing. The 6k series was excellent for the price and the new GCN architecture in the 7k series is a massive improvement over the last architecture when it comes to efficiency and power. Plus they have sorted out A LOT of their drivers issues with the new "Never Settle" campaign by actually actively supporting new games that are released with top notch performance and free game giveaways. I got Deus Ex, Neuix, and Dirt Showdown codes with my 7970 and my 2nd I got the Never Settle bundle Hitman, Farcry 3, and another game code too (cant remember which one) so I am set for games to play and feel like my £300 on each card was well worth it as I got nearly £200 worth of games for free! Beat that Nvidia!

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Feel the same way, safe to say though I've waited too long :p Hoping we see a full Kepler chip available in the Geforce segment.
    Still more interested in Maxwell though.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    /FIXED

When was the last time you heard NV/AMD quoting consoles in their income statement?

Ya, that is how that particular stream is relevant in their financials.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My "gamer" days are winding down... My next system will be built purely for low-power. So, whichever has the best power consumption will get my money again. If AMD can get Kavari out the door at a reasonable price with reasonable graphics performance and power consumption....it may be an option. If it can't compete with Haswell/Maxwell on power consumption....I'll stay with Intel/NVidia regardless of performance.

14. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    i suggest u stay with console gaming for a while give pc gaming a break the next xbox and ps4 should entertain you for a while until two years until it gets really outdated by the pc hardware but they still offer good graphics expect high settings or even ultra settings equivalent since they can do 1280 x 720 which is 720p and just upscale it to 1080p they can crank it up to ultra details.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Huh, i think he means he is getting bored of gaming full stop.

I'm getting the same, the enthusiasm is still there, but when it comes to playing the game i rarely stick with it and spend more time messing with the HTPC side of my PC.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I haven't been a "console gamer" in almost a decade..... In fact, my last console was a Nintendo GameCube that hasn't even been hooked up since 2005. It just sits on the shelf collecting dust. I see no reason at this point to waste money on another console.

Exactly. You nailed it.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Likewise games bore me nowdays (my ADHD could be partly to blame for that lol).

I bench and tweak more than I actually play....ME3 was the last game that interested me, holding out for ME4.

And consoles.....? Consoles can die.

18. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Not if you factor in power consumption and the huge OC that you need just to get similar performance to Intel's offerings. And I believe it was once shown that an FX8150 bottlenecks's AMD's own 7970.

Their CPUs are not a good buy for any informed person regardless of how you look at it. GPUs are another matter.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I think the constant bitching and whining from game devs have turned me off to gaming more than any other single reason.....aside from the Mists of Pandaria expansion for WoW....

If I'm not gaming....and F@H isn't going to properly support newer hardware...I don't have much reason to help increase NVidia or AMD's market share.... I'm sure an iGPU or my current cards will be sufficient for web browsing for quite a few years to come.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^If it wasn't for BF3 I'd still be using my 8800GTX.....I got a 6950 for that game then never played it.
    Only have the 7950 now as it had nearly double the performance for the same price and I'll prob have it for a few years...

In fact if my mobo hadn't died I'd be running an Athlon II dual core right now.

^Depends if you want to pay more money for performance you don't need or less money for performance that suits your purpose.

I don't want to pay more for extra power I won't use, if I did then I would have bought a 7970 instead of my 7950.

Same concept applies to the 8350/20 CPU's, which are priced better than the previous Bulldozer's which were not good value I agree.