Has anyone ever Disabled AMD External Events Utility from Services

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Mar 8, 2011.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Was gonna keep an eye on the 99% Load Bug but havn't been able to reproduce it yet ever since i disabled this Events Utility...

I would normaly get it during Desktop Idle, Watching YouTube or after some time during a Game.

Maybe this thing is related to it all.

2. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    holy f2ck i better reenable it.

3. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    2D clocks works just fine without it.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    My 3D clocks don't change when exiting from the game if that service is disabled. I had to enable it then reboot just to get my 2D clocks back.

5. wazups2x

wazups2x Active Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I disable all of the services. Never had any noticeable problems.

Same, I have that problem in WMP.

I also have been wondering what the new FUEL one is. I wish AMD would let us know what all of these things running in the background are.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  6. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    No point in creating a new thread for this topic, so I'll ask here:

Has anything changed regarding this service? I don't like useless junk running in background, but will disabling it cause problems? No conjectures, please.

I'm using Catalist 13.1, don't use hotkeys and don't have CCC installed (I use RadeonPro).

7. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    No problems in driver operation was seen with service disabled

8. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
    No problems here

Disabling the service in older drivers stopped some errors in the event viewer for me, so I always disable it. I have had no problems with driver installs/uninstalls either.

9. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Alrighty then. Thanks, guys.

10. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    For notebooks don't do it since it seems to control switchable graphics functions.

11. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

I'll pitch in for Windows 8. IMHO, it seems best to just leave all services at w/e they are. To many "undocumented" things going on in 8 to fully trust disabling services atm...

12. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    No problems here on windows 8 with it disabled. Never had a problem on windows 7 as well. I always disabled it.

13. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Disabled in my system. No problem too.

14. isepiq

isepiq Guest

GPU:
    ATI 3870
    WARNING: I disabled AMD External Events Utility in Services and went through a lot of hair pulling trying to figure out why my computer would no longer recognize my External USB Hard Drives!!!! FINALLY, was just going through Services and checking what was Disabled and trying one at a time. As soon as I RE-enabled this Service and then tried my USB HDD, it worked 100% instantly just like normal. So this is more of an AMD MOBO Service, NOT just a video card Service!!!

IMHO
    isepiq :cool:

15. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Then if somebody has an amd mobo with a nvidia card it won't have the external events service and he will be screwed. Hm?

EDIT: Is the service also included in amd chipset drivers? Idk.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

16. Quintazon

Quintazon Guest

GPU:
    Gateway/FX6800-01e
    I had an interesting experience with this and so though I would mention it. to make a long story slightly less long.

Recently I started having trouble with my PC in windows vista, I started looking around for various fixes for a problem suddenly everything ran like i was running a 8086 machine. I had though possibly disk space, memory, virtual memory, and so on but nothing helped. So using procexp to watch the processes run. Every single process would run less than 1% of the CPU usage, those that came close where the ones i was actively using. the rest read a constant <0.01 Idle never once went below 99%. I tried removing the newest apps I installed and nothing. So eventually i went into safe mode for what i forget because I noticed that everything ran normal here and forgot why I came. Looking through the services list i noted everything that was on, went back to normal boot and looked through the services and the only thing I found that I was not sure I needed was AMD External Utility. After shutting the service down everything went back to normal.

Now here is the thing I keep autoupdates off and update manually, but I never updated the AMD External Utility, that may be the problem because i did upgrade my video card and installed new drivers that may not have been compatible.

I would suggest however if you do, be sure your drivers are up to date and compatible. However, as it is about as useful to me as butter on a hung of marble I'll just leave it off.

17. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    mirh likes this.
  18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AMD External Events service monitors hotkeys in user configured CCC profiles.

Years ago it was called the AMD Hotkey Poller, and unless hotkeys are used it's safe to disable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Confirmed. Re-Enabling this service fixed my black screen issue. Clearly more functions are added to this service now so disabling it may not be as problem free as it was before.