Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So no more blocky heatsinks getting in the way of my cpu fans?

2. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    thats the biggest thing i like about the 1150 socket stuff so far. they also die shrunk the chipsets on the motherboards. i hope amd partners do the same with the next batch of amd boards.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So how much of a difference will the motherboard make now that they're slowly shifting so much to the CPU itself?

4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i'd splurge and go for the 660ti, much better card and worth the difference.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've been waiting forever so even though it looks like Intel has thrown performance out the window (no surprise considering the complete lack of competition) I'll still be upgrading. I hope those things can actually OC this time around and use something better than used chewing gum as thermal adhesive.

6. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    So not only will Haswell fall behind IB in some performance tests, but it also looks like it may use a little more energy. It's starting to remind me of Bulldozer's release.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Very little, in fact it's one of the reasons why I supported BGA for the most part. The Motherboard is slowly just becoming a giant bus/interconnect and as a result should get considerably cheaper. Motherboard manufacturers are going to have to find new ways to remain relevant and differentiate their boards from competition with value add features. I mean they already do this to an extent. But without the ability to have "OC ULTRA MEGA SUPER VRM OVERCLOCK 10,000" they'll probably move to things like better on board sound, being able to overclock from your watch, or whatever stupid ideas they've been adding lately.

I'd rather them just integrate the two and have things like better cooling via double sided heat dissipation. Plus you get a better connection electrically and don't have to worry about pin design when laying out the processor. You can get far more funky with the design.

Again, it's shifting energy. They are moving power from the motherboard to the processor. Overall it's a net loss in total system power and that's the point. Intel doesn't care about you're ability to overclock when they can sell a hundred million more processors in things like tablets. Previously, compared to arm, at best Intel would have half the battery life. Now because they made that change and because they have the ability to race to sleep significantly quicker, they will be much closer to ARMs energy performance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I've got a new rig recently and I am still amazed by the switch from a Phenom II to an i7-3770K. So, I'll skip a generation or 2 before another upgrade.

It looks like I am not missing out much, considering the slight performance gain of the i7-4770K.

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Wow, well I'm sticking to my 3770K for sure. I don't like seeing a new generation chip, that is supposed to replace the last, fall behind in tests. Of course it's not all the time, but I don't think it should happen at all.

It really seems that Intel is hitting a wall thanks to AMD not putting up a better fight in the CPU market.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    With all this talk about parts being moved onto the chip taking a dump on OC potential I'm really curious to see how they OC now. I was hoping for 5GHz on standard cooling (high end air, contained crappy liquid) but by the sound of things that might not be possible.

I might just get whatever model has no hyper threading since having that disabled greatly decreases the chip's heat, allows for a higher OC. As 99% of programs stand now (and in 2 years I bet) single and dual threaded performance are still the most important. Giving up 8 meh threads for 4 strong ones is probably the better choice.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Wow I like to see what the i5 chip can do, From what I can these i7 would run circles around my i7 920

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Btw, what is the current estimated release date?

13. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    i jus got this 3770k after haswell was delayed,meh will skip it

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's supposed to be June but i'm betting July/August.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'll be skipping this as well methinks.
    A lot of cost for little real benefit over a 2500K with single GPU, and buying now means being a guinea pig.
    I'd rather see what issues there are before splurging.

Looks like this 2500K will get to see 4 years in my PC, its over 2 already !
    Time for an upgrade of ram though, 4GB is getting a bit small.
    Where has all the CAS6 and CAS7 ram gone?

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think the problem is intel has already done all they can for the basic CPU core, now they are putting out new technologies such as integrating the vrms directly in the CPU. Intel is pretty much perfecting features like this so in time performance will boost after perfecting things like this. Problem is, intel is in a development block right now.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I hope to see some more conclusive reviews on the final product and some OC numbers before June and hopefully it won't be delayed all the way to August.

I'm itching for an upgrade, I've had this thing for three years now. I thought by the end of the the chip's usage time there would be use for more than two threads, yet so many things are still only dual threaded if even that.

I actually have several which rely heavily 1-2 threads (emulators for example) which this chip is barely adequate for even at 4GHz. There is little purpose to pushing it further, I would increase the heat dramatically just to gain another ~300MHz which isn't always enough for those programs anyway.

Considering the 3 year gap, even 5GHz as the maximum on the next chip would be a disappointment, a 600-700MHz increase over the maximum of ancient technology is not much. Clock for clock it hasn't improved enough to justify the low clocks considering the time span.

Realistically we'd be far ahead in both performance and power savings if Intel had any competition over the last 7 years. Only now they're concerned with the mobile market so they're trying to push for power savings. Hopefully they'll get around to the performance part one of these years.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Sign me up please. :banana:

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I find that hard to believe considering the amount of time they've had. I really think it just comes down to the fact that they're making the same profit while not coming up with anything new. The employees may be eager to advance technology, but the fat cats at the top are only concerned with profit, nothing else. So long as their pockets are lined, they couldn't possibly care less about advancement.

From 2009's Nehalem chips to 2013 the best they've done is a few hundred MHz increase and incremental clock for clock performance increases that number in roughly at 3% a piece in real world applications with few exceptions such as encoding.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Intel's management is smart, they put the money where it needs to go to get the maximum returns. Why would they dump all their money into the declining desktop market when their main competitor is years behind technologically and holding barely any of the marketshare? Their main focus going forward is overall efficiency. They're trying to break into the smartphone/tablet market right now.