Windows 8 marketshare 2.36 percent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Windows 7 is finally seeing a small decline in marketshare, the Next Web reports that Windows 8 now has a marketshare of 2.36 percent, up from 1.78 percent at the beginning of January 2013. The market...

Windows 8 marketshare 2.36 percent

2. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm meanwhile back on 7. 8 drivers were horrible, and the system would just freeze after a few minutes, unless I installed Hyper-V. But that prevents VMWare to run. Add to that the general non-aero ugliness.

3. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I wonder when will Gates return Microsoft. Hell even early Longhorn builts look better and more modern than win8.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I find Windows 8 perfectly fine here and once I added Start8 then it feels no different in use than Windows 7 and it is certainly every bit as stable and fast. I've had no problems with drivers either. One thing I do not miss is the annoying Windows is running slow messages that I got with Windows 7 when exiting a game so I'm happy with the non-Aero Glass desktop myself. :)

I must admit that I use the Modern UI Start screen less and less but it is there if I want a quick go on Hydro Thunder Hurrican, Angry Birds Space or Jetpack Joyride.

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I didn't know Mac had such a small market share lol. They appear in every movie, commercial or whatever you can think of lol.

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

oem is the cause alltogether with pc sales
    mothing else nothing more
    its not w8 winning the race
    its just pc vendors and micrisoft pushing the
    change like always
    i

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Product placement, they put a lot into it.

Last I checked my version of W8 isn't OEM.

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Do you sell branded PCs? I do.

Go buy a PC with Windows 7, and share the experience with us.

9. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Windows 8 isn't bad at all.
    I thought it sucked before even trying it out myself, now I upgraded for only 30€ and it's not anything all those negative reviews make you believe.

You can use it just as windows 7, I mean 100% like windows 7.
    Except there are nice shortcuts like windows + x or the new file explorer which is awesome in functionality.
    The new start menu looks weird, but it has all the functionality of the old start menu (like just press start and start typing the programs name you want to open, and then enter), many reviews I read even said some of the functionality that is there, doesn't even exist... Did they even test the OS properly?
    And it's also easy to launch programs with your mouse since the icons are huge.

I like it, and even if you don't just get rid of it.

10. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I have both Windows 7 and 8.
    I don't think 8 sucks, I just think 7 and the classic Start Menu is simply better and more user friendly.

Windows 8's greatest flaw is that its Start interface takes you out of the desktop environment.
    Not to mention that there was no valid reason whatsoever for the removal of the Start Menu as there existed no technical limitations at all that prevent it from being optional for those who wanted it.

Instead of giving people options microsoft limits them, and thats just not right.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ROFL

so basically you are mad because you can't shove old OS down your customers throat?

12. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Crying because you can't ram your obvious bias and opinion down your customers throats?

13. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I believe what he means is there are not longer any windows 7 pc's to sell and if there were any available most people would choose a windows 7 pc over anything that comes with windows 8 on it.

I work in retail and consumers despise windows 8 because of the metro garbage, they are always asking for windows 7 every day.

Windows 8 is a complete and utter failure with consumers, Ballmer should have been fired and then physically throw out of the offices of microsoft for forcing such an obvious abomination onto the masses without giving them a choice to use a windows 7 style start menu.

Microsoft and fanboys love to tout the "60 million" sales number to make a failed attempt at claiming windows 8 is a huge success but what they fail to mention these are mostly OEM sales and most of those are still sitting on the shelves collecting dust in the stores because consumers just don't like windows 8.

14. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Window 8 is useless

This explains a great deal. A casual user interested in simple things such as angry birds the internet won't likely find any issue with Windows 8 since that is what it is made for.

A person who has mulitple monitors like 3 - 1920x1080p using specialized vision surround drivers with relatively high end Nvidia GTX590, special devices like a Fat1lity Xfi sound card, Hauppage capture device, Makerbot replicator 2 3D printer emulating usb to port 3, etc and using countless of specialized 3D, 2D, and virtualization software programs and countless utilities who ACTUALLY does WORK on their computers think Windows 8 is pure ****.:puke2:

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thought about moving to Win 8 very long and hard.
    Despite audio sounding a bit better (its true!) and I really like my audio, I decided Microsoft dont deserve my money.
    Otherwise I will be saying its ok to make an OS look old/ugly, to remove features that I really want and replace them with something I really dont want.
    This kind of business attitude needs a stand made against it.
    They wasted sales through sheer stupidity.

Big fan of 7 here, waiting for Windows 9
    And that better have resolved the issues!

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    This. The only reason Windows 8 has gained marketshare is because new system come pre-installed with it. No alternative if you want to keep your warranty or don't have the means to change OS. I'm yet to find a customer of mine who likes Win8. They all complain they want a traditional desktop and start menu from the moment they boot into Win. Yes I'm aware you can alter this but it should have come with the option in the first place.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Windows 8 works just fine, with the absence of Aero the interface is tons faster. To make my experience more enjoyable I install programs such as Start8 (I tried free versions like Classic shell and Pokki, but they aren't near as good in my opinion at replicating the start menu), and Windows 8 Gadget Pack. Plus you go farther by disabling the lock screen, and many other features designed for Tablets.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Be that as it may, you are a sales person, and should keep your head cool when it comes to what customer needs/wants.
    Salesman being all worked out over particular product makes sense only if we're talking about some hot-selling cake.

You're not telling us Windows 7 are hotcakes, without which yous sales are plummeting?

19. ibitato

ibitato Guest

You have no clue what I am talking about, and I have no clue about what
    you're trying to tell (me).

After 15 years on the IT business, beign a executive on a 5 country wide
    Dealer Management Systems Milti-national Corporation, I am entitled to say so about OEM and changes in market share for Operating systems.

It does not matter your likings or mine, it's what corporate desitions and suppliers push through retail dealers.

that is windows 8, for Desktops, and I push Linux of middle/high perf servers.

I have no likes / dislikes for opertating systems. I just use what fits the situation better.

Unlike many many people on this forum I am not a fanboy of any branch / vendor.

I am smart enough to use what's best for what I need, regarless of versions
    and vendors.

That's why I make a (good) living out of I.T.

People tend to forget that "gurus" are less than 8% of target market

The rest of the mortals, would get what's installed on the desktop,
    no right to disagree with it.

20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Bias ?

What for?

No need to, I develop software, so I don't need to like or dislike W8,
    just use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.