AMD Mantle Update For Battlefield 4 Delayed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Though not offifically confirmed, word is out that AMD Mantle Update For Battlefield 4 was delayed. It seems that DICE still has not worked out technical issues, gameplay and stability. Initially eve...

AMD Mantle Update For Battlefield 4 Delayed

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  3. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    /Me waves hand using Jedi mind trick

Mantle be released!

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    it'll be slow to get up and going on its feet imo, based on the fact bf4 just ain't demanding (apart from the res slider), and thief doesn't look too demanding either.
    wonder what will be next, but don't get me wrong the bf4 mantle boost will be fun for all involved.

5. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Who cares about BF4. Thief will be released soon and it will have Mantle support, then we will see what the Mantle is all about and what can it do performance wise.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    AMD could release the driver tomorrow (Don't they usually release on Wednesday's?) and still be on target for late January 2014 with Mantle (At least for the driver level support.) but then it's up to Dice when they'll enable the Mantle API in Battlefield 4 so it can actually be used which seems could happen with that next planned patch in mid-February was it?

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    there's a bf4 update across all platforms within late January /perhaps early feb which includes performances and tweaks, mantle wasn't mentioned in notes though.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    then ea should release a map dlc that's so demanding it needs mantle in the first place, ..or a £600 nvidia card.
    *I should be getting paid for this
    hehe

9. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    It might still be this month, AMD usually releases drivers on Tuesday or Wednesday.

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Mantle isn't about just boosting fps more for a $600 card.
    It's about utilising system resources properly and less overhead on CPU.

Games will look better once developers start tapping into the extra power they have at their disposal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  12. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I got the impression that Mantle is no as good as advertise and they are trying to fix it but no luck.

13. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    My impression is that DICE is working on fixing the game itself and ignoring Mantle patch till the game is "worthy".

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    What is going on?
    Amd can not showcase it with another game?

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's Thief (4) coming out in late February but it's using UE3 though customized.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At least release a downloadable tech demo :-/

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    So what you think ....its not dice's issue but its AMD's issue?
    There is a lot of games that are out now they can showcase it with right?
    too easy to pass the buck in this case

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's a number of development studios with titles in the works that have announced they'll support Mantle but there's nothing released at the moment other than Battlefield 4 (Currently with references to Mantle but I don't think the API itself is enabled yet.) and Dice seems to be trying to fix the game a bit more first before adding any additions like Mantle support.

Thief is the next one to be released but that's not until late February so unless AMD were to provide some tech-demos when they release their 14.1 driver there might not be anything available using Mantle for a while at least until either Thief is released (Unless they too add it in later via a update.) or Dice releases their patch for BF4 which also seems like it'll be in February sometime.
    (Unless a smaller patch is released first which only adds Mantle support, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.)

Strange too that there's no preview drivers or beta applications that we know of sent to testers and such to showcase (Further hype.) Mantle yet, maybe AMD is still tweaking things a bit and want the initial release to be as smooth and bug-free as possible?

Will be interesting to see what it can do and where it has the most effect, if it's offloading via CPU or if it improves GPU usage, maybe somehow works with the Kaveri APU's from AMD too?
    (As long as they use GCN that shouldn't be a issue.)

(Seems like it could benefit Crossfire usage as well, shared memory instead of it being mirrored was mentioned if I remember correctly.)

19. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Seems very odd that the Next Big Thing® is so huge that noone outside of AMD developement has seen any really good proof of it...

Just a tech demo would be enough to get people more excited about this, but nope, not a thing. I can't help being slightly cynical about this whole thing, and I hope it isn't empty promises and wishful thinking.

20. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Another reason not to buy BF4 for another month.