AMD Hawaii series (NV 780Ti) thermal issues pin pointing theories.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DeOdVue, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Still stand by my original statement, 290/290X the reference cooler does good enough job in eye's of AMD, even though many gamers are waiting for custom coolers instead for 290/290X

2. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    My cooler is bigger, better than your! <--- what's your point?

My point is trying to pin point out the failures of the cooler (Hawaii series specific and other cooler as general).

Have a good weekend!

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    amd cheaped out on the stock cooler, whats so hard about that?
    custom coolers for the 290x 290 show around a 30c reduction in temps. its not rocket science

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    ^ exactly my point

5. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850

Again, there is no source information to support this. you might called it all you like. As for me, I'll hold my judgement.

There is no argued that's the custom cooler reduced by some 30C, no doubt, no question about it! But I thought I posted that, too. --> "This might be hinted why the aftermarket (heatpipe technology) cooler worked great!" and "Hint, hint.. aftermarket cooler cooled much better than the reference."

Failure to design efficiently is not cheaped out!

Blower = expensive, noisy, high air statics, but yet, inaffectively cool vs. the traditional fan...

vapor chamber is more expensive, better cooling (theory)... and yet it failed miserably vs. the heatpipe!

What is wrong with this pictures? ^^ :bang:

Now, back to my points. I am pointing out all these failures with a big capital PERIOD. As a hardware tech hobby-ish, I posted this hoping for some answers. People with same hobby would tried to troubleshoot to help the world a better place. I do know and understand the tests resulted and data are all over the places. for you, you might used that data results to compare among each others. And that is fine, actually I encouraged that. But for me and pretty sure quite a bit of others are more interested in taking the data results to EVALUATED, ANALYZE, DIGEST.... that it's this is all about!

Am I not in a hardware tech web forum??? NO way, Get out! I thought this is what we do here, too. Beside, telling how big my EPEENNNnnnnnn is

Love to the world!
    {@}
    ^)^

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Hilberts reviews had the 290x and 290 running at 94 or 95c, what would you call that a good cooler or what? if its a good cooler what temp would a bad cooler get?

8. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    CONGRATULATION! You have made it to my personal list of the most genius question. Tied with my grand daughter whose asked me... "Why?".

I'm sorry but could you be more specific?

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No you provide us the source info saying that they didn't cheap out and instead spend millions in R&D on this cooler in question.

10. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    Thank you, I'm very well aware of that. I've thanks many, many times for Hilbert hard worked and other various sites as well. Again, I thank you for all their hard worked to provide us those datas.

But you see... for some, that's it the resulted!

But for others, that is just a piece of data tested under specific setup, under certain environment and circumstance... etc. It is one piece of puzzle among others that needed to be examined, analyzed... and might needed more tests prior to conclude the issue. Ultimately, resolved the problem.

And yes, aftermarket custom coolers had proven that. Most of my previous posts supported that. For you is done! Move on! But for me and a lot of others, The question remained --> Why does a more expensive and better piece of technology failed to delivered the cooling efficiency vs. a cheaper less expensive technology.

Congratulation to AMD for delivering one damn good silicon, but worst cooler!

Congratulation to NV for delivering the better cooler than the worst!

is that what you want to hear?

11. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    Did I ever said AMD used expensive cooler??? If they did, I would awarded them with the "most stupid engineer team, ever!". Why in the hell would I spend so much money on an expensive cooler solution that failed comparable to a cheaper solution!

Do let me know when you do find out their cooler is in fact the cheaped one so I can congratulated for being smart!

P.S. I had a few theories in regarding to what've going on, but that is a whole new subjects.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    yes, very smart allowing AIB partners the opportunity not to release custom pcb and custom cooler cards and releasing a card that runs at 95c on a POS cooler

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You've been on this forum for 10 days. Being an ass, at this point, doesn't make a good impression and actually leads most of us to question your intelligence.

AMD has a long history of small, inefficient and barely effective coolers. Whether it's for a GPU or CPU, they always seem to provide the bare minimum to prevent their chips from melting. The Radeon HD4850 was a stunning example of AMD's inability to provide a proper cooler. With the reference single slot coolers, most of them idled upwards of 85C with peak temperatures under load easily reaching 105C. As long as AMD's GPUs can take the heat, they won't push for better cooling.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Dafuk am I reading???? You ain't gonna last long here acting like this. Your straw man argument is getting old get back under your bridge.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    thats my saying man, I require royalties is you choose to use that saying:)

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're wasting your time. This was a troll thread from the start.

17. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    Wow! Just wow!... :(

Please, be very clear in regarding to this post.

I am a HARDWARE kinda guy. A damn HARDCORE HARDWARE guy. I meant HARDWARE as components level not AMDs'Graphic cards or NVidias' coolers... whatever. Some of you here mights be AMD this... and others might NV that... And I am there, in both camps! I'm a fan of the technology itself, designed and engineered.

I'm posting this in the hoped that's some one out there in the world (many thanks to the internet technology itself for connecting us all together) whose have the TOYS (Thinking of you Hilbert! :) Even if I do have the equipments, I don't have the times and the money as mentioned in the post.) that can do all kind of tests... and I do meant TESTS. I'm very much appreciated you alls have been giving me inputs and pointed toward of sources and inform. But, I do have a feeling, we are not on the same boat here.

- WHY? -

Is the question I trying to find out. We might ended up found nothing (obviously not in this case). But with the additionals data and inform. we might heplped others understand more and ultimately, made better used of what we've learned. I'm pretty sure, through the process of EXTREMED testing we will uncovered many more unanswered questions. Sometimes if not most, it's ended up just a waste of times. But that's the ultimate fun of being a hobbyish. And funny enough, to some, hobbyish is a waste of times to begin with, anyways.

And if you are as crazy and stupid like I am, curious and wanted to suffer... joint me, and helped me do those tests... Who know, It might just be a biggest waste of times! But atleast, in the end we had traveled the journey! held head up high and said... BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

OR. I can sit here all day typing... my numbers is bigger than your!

At this stage in time, we all can pretty much concluded NV has failed with cooler design! And AMD failed MISERABLY! but the question is, Why?... why?.... whyyyy???

18. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    AMD is trying to sell the GPUs! Their interested in making the card itself is all most, none.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    that seem to be a correct assumption, notice how many words are in each post and saying very little of substance at the same time

20. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    I'm sorry, did I not/did touched you in a wrong way? pardoned me.

As I reviewed the posts, I do believed I was the one that's got picked on (none good information to digest, so far). And I took the acceptance of being stupid, crazy...

^^ And that is being an ASS?? Oh, I'm sorry, I'll try to be a jerk, next time.

I'm really sorry you felt that way toward me. --> Don't be one if you don't like to feel one! Trusted me, you'll feel much better!

As a Hardcore Hardware guy, my intention is not to register into this forum to be an ASS. Nor trying to make good impression! I Registered because of the initial TOYS (thermal image) that Hilbert just bought! That's can do a lot of good to the community. With those images that Hilbert posted, I got curious to the point I couldn't resisted to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.