What is my bottle neck?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by rhdelgado91, May 5, 2012.

1. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    So, i think it the prossesor but i dont know for sure.

Mobo: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
    Processor : AMD Phenom II x2 550 @ 3.5ghz
    Memory: Patriot 4x4gb ddr-3 1600
    Video card: EVGA GTX580 3gb gddr5
    HDD: Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
    Sound card: Creative SB X-Fi

Another question, is the AMD Fx series worth it or do i just go with a 1100t?

2. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    And, ohh ****e wrong subforum... :bang:

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Your CPU is the bottleneck.
    Best migrate to Intel if you can.
    The best chip for your board will get around the same performance as Intels Core 2, thats 2 generations behind.

4. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    And thus starts the "AMD SUKS GO INTEL BRO" I know i was gonna regret posting.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Get the 1100T and overclock it. You'll still have some bottleneck, but nowhere near what you have now.

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
  7. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    One, after paying rent and utilities, my budget is 250, no a new mobo is outta the question.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Going Intel would mean he would have to buy a whole new motherboard. Say for instance the board you want is $150, that makes the FX8150 $205 and the i5-2500K $355. The FX-8350 when it comes out would be the best option, but if you can't wait get say the FX-8150. The FX-8150 is a 1st generation FX processor, the FX-8350 is a second generation FX processor (Piledriver), and you can upgrade next year to a third generation FX processor as they use the same socket. If you go Intel, you only got the i5-2500K, and the i5-3570K (which proves to be little benefit, unlike the 1st-->2nd generation FX processor). You have nowhere to go, as next year Intel are requiring a new socket.

The 3rd gen Bulldozer moves to 28nm (Intel still on 22nm), so there won't be much difference in the sense that the 22nm process seems to have its pro's and cons. Also the 3rd gen Bulldozer will most likely be 'done correctly', so would prove to be a good cost effective future upgrade.

So, if you stick with your current socket, you can continue to upgrade at little cost at least for now :) that to me makes a whole lot more sense!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Just find a 1090T or 1100T on the cheap, it will virtually eliminate your bottleneck. The amount of games you won't be getting over 60fps on will be almost none.

10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Fair enough, I was thinking you had an older AMD cpu and would have to change the motherboard either way.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Higher end PII X6 and a decent cooler. OC the crap out of it, should help a bunch. Either that or for now see if you can unlock the cores on that X2 of yours. It can be done on some of em.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah the FX-8350 may be able to compete with the i5-2500K (I said compete, not be equal to), but the third gen should exceed the i5-2500k/i5-3570k. It would be a cheap upgrade path. Of course, by then the Haswell will be out so will probably be the underdog again, at least until they move to the new socket and platform come the 4th gen. The point remains though, you have an upgradeable system that you can do cheap whereas with Intel you are pretty much stuck on current gen.

13. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    I did try unlocking it, managed to but had to run at 1.6ghz to get anywhere near stable lol, anything above that I would get blue screens and glitches.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thuban at 4ghz, will run much better than current cpu, you will still have a bit of a bottleneck with the 580 but much better than your current cpu. I ran a single 580 with a qx9650 at 4.0 and then a single 580 with SB and got a healthy boost in all games.

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hey man, a car is faster then a bicycle. Even if your manufacturing and selling bicycles for a living, that still remains true.

But if you want, I guess we could all agree that nothing is imbalanced in your system and your amd cpu is awesome, but hey you got an nvidia 580 there better get a 6950 (to unlock) since it is 'deffo faster', better bang for buck ratio and has better driver support. :infinity:

This is however true. Your best bet unless you wanna go intel and spend some money.

2nd hand 1090 shouldn't be that expensive slap a decent cooler on it and beat it some for 4 ghz.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

16. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    Ill see if I can get the boss to squeeze a bit morethis week, (still gonna need some $$$ for the booze, 5 de mayo ftw) ill chime in and let you know wht I go with. I may end up intel if the budget fits.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm the one who regrets trying to give you good advice with rational reasoning.
    Yet you come back with the above which demonstrates it isnt me thats a dick.

18. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    No, thus starts "You need a powerful CPU for that gtx580" and Intel is the only way sadly. But you could still crab a better amd cpu (though you will still be bottlenecked).

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Thuban all the way. Or, I have a 965 BE I'd be willing to sell you if you want.

20. rhdelgado91

rhdelgado91 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB
    So i managed to get the boss to may me a little extra. Say hello to i5 Ivy Bridge.