[YouTube] ROG Swift PG278Q Gaming Monitor - First Hands on Video

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HonoredShadow, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    yes Asus has replied to my YT comment with this statement:

ASUS Nordic
    3 hours ago

Its actually a tiny piece of styrofoam that ended up on the screen from the box so its not a dead pixel :)

Looks like a dead pixel to me though, reason i say that is because Styrofoam is usually round little balls and the dot on the screen looks VERY square to me.

It's still an amazing monitor though and seeing a dead pixel wouldn't put me off buying one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Muuuus buy this!!!!

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not really any different then the people that post "NOT 4K, TRASH" "NOT IPS, TRASH" stuff.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    lol:)

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now after seeing that last YouTube video, I am impressed. I mean, I have IPS screens at home, at work, bought IPS screens for brother and parents, and now it looks like I might be considering a TN. This TN appeared to be exceptionally good. It's by no means $100 TN screen that you can see all around the stores.

The problem is with its pricing. It's way off. I can see preorders in EU for $1100. It's over 1 grand for a non-professional monitor. I got myself an amazing IPS-powered Dell U2713H with colors that can blow your eyes for less than $800. I can't really imagine myself paying so much more money over what I paid for such outstanding monitor. If it was around that $800 U2713H price, it would be still expensive, but it would make me consider buying it.

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Surely that is the price of a new technology. You could wait until it goes down in price.

Also it was never intended as a professional monitor but only a gaming monitor so to compare it to a professional is unfair.

This thing is squarely a gaming monitor. Yes it may be expensive right now but it is the best gaming monitor hands down by the looks of it. If you think it's worth it now, get it now. If you want to wait until it comes down in price, wait.

I personally am fed up of having a monitor like the Qnix with bad motion handling and blur. The colours on this new monitor will be easily good enough for gaming by the looks of it so far. Can't wait!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Please stop with your logic and sense.

[​IMG]

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I'm sowy :(

Lol

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's why i went with a Pixel Fault Class 1 monitor, even a single Hot Pixel and my Panel gets replaced free of charge :)

It would annoy the F**K out of me once i spotted it.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I do agree with you though. Haters are going to hate. And I say let them. While they're complaining about it, we'll be enjoying it. :D

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    It was confirmed in another thread in numerous sites the that was a piece Polystyrene. it was way too big to be a pixel.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I know. I read the reply that Asus guy made in the youtube comments.

15. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Just making sure other people aware of it!

I totally agree with you. I can afford to buy this monitor right now. Since back in the days of crt monitors i have been very disappointed with most monitors i have bought.

This is the most perfect monitor i have come across so far by the sounds of it except the black level or contrast ratio will still be lacking but you can't have everything. For that i have a plasma tv.

Until they sort out oled this is probably the best we will get for a while and i have been looking forward to a monitor like this.

16. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I pretty much agree with your post.

Well, I know that comparing it to pro screen is unfair, but being almost 50% more expensive than monitor that's not shy to work as a pro one, it's wallet-demanding.

If you play games a lot and have no issues with such money, I'd think it's worth buying. For me, spending that money on a monitor is difficult. I mean I could technically buy it or 2 or 3, but for me there are better ways of spending such money. It's about priorities. Perhaps if I was gaming more, my priorities would differ and I would be working my ass off in order to get it asap. It's like buying a sports car - I don't blame people for buying them. I'm even happy to see people enjoying their rides, but it's a matter of how much money you have to burn and what do you want to do with it. Despite being outrageously priced, it remains on my wishlist. I might dig it when it drops below $800 or when I happen to "need it". Meanwhile good old HP LP2475W has too last. It's slow and by no means a gaming grade monitor, but it's not that annoying.

My other issue is that I'm a sucker for high-dpi screens. After using 200dpi screen for some time, I'd rather get one for myself. If I could get 24" 4k monitor with gsync, acceptable color reproduction and 120+Hz FullHd mode, I might pay even more than ASUS wants for this gorgeous 27" gaming screen. Perhaps I'll end with 2 monitors or even 2 separate rigs - one for games and the other one for the rest.

I'll wait till ROG monitor is easily available over here and then decide if I should get it or not.

17. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    And I totally agree with this. Better priorities for sure. :thumbup:

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
  19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the update. I can see you're really waiting for this one hehe :)

And you've actually infected me with your enthusiasm. We'll see how it goes, but still G-Sync and >60Hz are really subjective thing. It's hard to judge such monitor by just reading review. Nonetheless, they can measure it in the usual way, with lag, colors etc and write a bit about G-Sync experience.

Also, I do hope they'll get a good sample. When I was looking for 27" monitor and reading reviews, they said that game mode on U2713H doesn't do anything. When I got mine, it turned out that the lag is pretty much nonexistent, send them an email and they replied that they got a lot of such response, but they couldn't just magically change the review, as they posted what they actually measured with the sample they were given. So it would be good if they received the same stuff as will appear in stores.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I really am! It seems to be a great monitor so far. With the addition of an 8 bit panel too. I am REALLY fussy when it comes to monitors.