Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Have you tried 10.3? or even 10.3a?

2. huanbrother

huanbrother Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5850 1G
    Well guys, if you are experiencing the grey screen crash even with catalyst 10.3 installed, I suggest you to RMA your card instead of trying to find a solution.
    This might have occured because of the card defect, mostly with the memory module. So RMA your card before the warranty expires!

3. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Took a gamble with some cash yesterday...

I replaced my Saphire 5870 that crashed with gray/black/brown/blue/whatever screen, only within 10min of starting a game with a icecold system (but happily plowed on all day, or all week if you wanted after that), by a ASUS 5870 voltage tweak Edition.

And it's fixed, I didn't wipe the system yet on purpose, so didn't change anything and didn't reinstall any drivers...

So I'd have to confirm that any kind of gray/blue/whatever screen crashes are a hardware memory problem and not software... I guess that first batch has been like 25% fauly then. That'll sure keep me from preordering the next generation card...

Too bad I can't RMA my Saphire because I used all kinds of possible fixes on it (including third party cooling). And that Saphire had the gray screen when starting game (only on cold system) since day one... Should've sent it straight back without any attempt to fix it. Nice expensive paperweight on my desk now (it is functional in 2D or in heated up systems for most games. However can not keep plowing FurMark for longer than like 10min, (the ASUS now can, and after putting my Thermalright spitfire on it with some damn nice temps also)) 62°C max after half an hour of Xtreme Burning Mode FurMark, 22°C Idle :fuse:

[​IMG]

click on thumb for biggie

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. sandz

sandz Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 DCII

bump

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011