New Gaming computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by burling, Feb 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. burling

burling Guest

GPU:
    896MB GeForce GTX 260 (Gi
    I know this is a silly question but how can you choose what cpu, motherboard and graphics card to choose when either buying or building a gaming computer!

There are so many options to choose from. Retailers and others have their own agendas. I contacted the Nvidea, Intel and Gigabyte and they all referred me to a retailer or distributor. Even when I contacted Origin they still have many options available. Origin build gaming computers.

Burling

2. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock PG 6800XT
    just read about the products, see whats suits you.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You have to do research on what's out, and what will best suit your performance and price requirements. It would probably help if you described your knowledge level when it comes to computers as well.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    nvidia and intel seem to be winning the hardware wars atm.

really tho if you can wait a bit it might be best imho, with the new consoles coming out graphics and whatnot will make a big jumps for us since well most of our games are ported.

we will not know what hardware will be bulletproof so to speak when the next gen of ports makes up most of our games. and it even may take awhile for the pc hardware to surpass.

unless you do not mind starting over in 2 years time when the xbox 720 and ps4 drop.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    really? nvidia winning? because from what I'm seeing right now 7950>670, 7970>680 and you pay less for amd.

op, it's a never ending learning curve. it takes some effort to stay on top of all the new tech coming out all the time.

6. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    you'll need to pair up the sockets and see if they are compatible. research on it and set a particular budget. the most important thing on building your rig is the PSU, make sure that it's true rated and is not generic. FSP and Seasonic are great brands.

then decide whether you need a dual core or a quad core, but its best to go quad if you have the budget.

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    the only things you have to correctly pair are cpu and motherboard. everything else pretty much works for the most part

your only limiting factor is budget

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    ^^^This +1

9. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Errrr I cannot agree with you there mate, add to that AMD driver issues(Not sure if they have fixed them PERMANENTLY since I changed to Nvidia)

10. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    When I built my first computer I had a budget. That is number one. Next I looked at what was just out and started comparing it to previously released equipment of the same category. I began with the CPU.

The CPU determines the motherboard (by socket) and to some extent the RAM. They are all actually chicken and the egg to some extent but there are things about each that will stand out. You have to find these and weigh them together (along with price). Read forums focused on specific hardware manufacturers or places like here. Once you have these three items established, the rest is a matter of finding the stuff you like that gets good reviews. Good CPU cooling is important! I have always used air but that may change down the road with all the self-contained coolers hitting the market lately.

Try to spend as much as you can. This will be the last time you spend that much because from here on your computer will evolve by parts instead of being completely replaced.

11. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    Nvidia is winning by a mile. Better gpu's and better drivers hands down. Amen.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Wrong.

AMD drivers are fantastic at the moment. You can find as many problems with Nvidia cards as you can with AMD. The current 7000 series is also faster for less money in almost every category, and this is supported by just about every single up to date review.

13. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Must be living in a parallel universe, because here where I live those AMD drivers are crap. I had issues for months to no end with the 79xx series. What a horrible experience that was! Didn't had a single issue since I switched to NV. Even Firefox works!

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've built machines for people who have had no end of issues with the current 670 series of cards from Nvidia. I put it down to anecdotal evidence, which is exactly what it is. The fact is more people are enjoying a solid experience with 7000 (especially 7900) series cards than are not. The same goes for Nvidia.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    I think what he meant is that NVidia is winning in sales. Not comparing it to which card or driver is the best.

The "fight" between NVidia and AMD is completely up to the personally of each member involved. For me, AMD gives a better value/money. For some1 else that would ring true for NVidia.

Back to the topic. Without giving us some more info about your expectations and your budget we cannot really help you.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no he's not comparing sales. he's saying Nvidia is better.

17. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    @eclap

One coment is from ceberus and the other from RedSeptember so you can't be sure of which aspect he was speaking of. I know for sure that NVidia and Intel wins in sales thought. At least was winning last year.

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The Origin guys are the ones that started Alienware. One thing for sure,they know how to build a gaming PC. You can probably build a PC with equal high end status,for almost half the price. It really pays to build your own. What's your budget? You would be very surprised at what you can build for under two grand. Lots of help available right here at Guru.

19. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Burling what games do you think you would play, on what size screen, and what kind of money are you working with?

20. burling

burling Guest

GPU:
    896MB GeForce GTX 260 (Gi
    Hello ground Zero, In my mind I think that the CPU and the motherboard should be compatible and the graphics as much as I can afford. I have been looking to Origin to build my gaming and video editing computer. They give you many options to choose from. My budget is $3500 for them to build it. I will ask them for advice when I am ready.
    The problem is everybody has there own ideas! Well I have plenty of time as Sept is my target.