Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Do we have to disable Flow Control and Interrupt Moderation in Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller?

2. COOPOD

COOPOD Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD7970 IceQ X 3GB
    Yes.

3. GMtm

GMtm Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Hi guys, just wanted to say thanks for the guide. I have run through quite a few of the tweaks and the results are excellent. My system is now very snappy, with a great increase in load times, reduced latency/lag and available resources. TBH I am an IT Pro of some years experience (too many to admit) and I got lazy with my system maintenance as my general system performance was fast enough for most things, only recently being miffed with low performance in Skyrim, Batman DX11 and 3DSMax.

To name but a few that made a significant difference:

• Disable Hyperthreading (Improved FPS in Batman AC DX11)
    • Update Intel Chipset via -overall flag (System is much more snappy, I am also happy to get rid of the 2006 drivers that have been bugging me for years, placebo maybe... but it makes me happy nontheless)
    • Disable IPv6 (ahhh nice and tidy ipconfig)
    • Turn off Remote Differential Compression (definite increase in file transfer speed to and from NAS)
    • Windows 7 Ping Spikes [FIX] (BFBC2 is playable at last, no longer getting kicked out due to spikes)
    • Remove Multimedia Class Scheduler Service from Windows Audio Service
    • Black Viper's Windows 7 Service SMART Advanced Tweaks (down from 2GB RAM utilisation to 1.2GB, and boot times are more like day one)
    • Installed PerfectDisk 12.5 and run a full boot defrag... very nice increase for my most used apps, particularly PS, Batman AC and replaying Crysis Warhead.
    • Also removed Avast Pro (license expired) and put on MSE with a load of exceptions for my games and this also improved. Nice bit of software from MS I must say.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Hi guys, this thread need much updates but I'm too lazy to do it at the moment, so just one or two quick fix:

Nvidia Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: use 1 or more, never 0. At the time, I tested that on a 8800GT + Dual Core but on a more recent CPU and GPU you will get issues if you use 0, flickering black screens, fps drops, etc. Anyway 0 is removed as an option in latest drivers.

I read a lot of comments about services optimization so here my own very aggressive ones plus some more reg tweaks provided as is, open with notepad and google for it if you want more info until the day I update the first post.

http://www.2shared.com/file/g3zmPHiA/Von_Dach_Optimizations_v201204.html

Services Level 1 contain services disabling not related to security but understand that Windows Networking won't work when enabled, only internet gaming and your browser will work.

Services Level 2 will disable services related to security, most firewall/antivirus will probably be non-functional while gaming (which is the goal).
    *Don't use that if you are not behind a good router acting as firewall*
    But you should notice a nice improvement in responsiveness :)

Switching from default to optimized or reverse is only one reboot away.
    If you use Level 2 you still have to click Level 1 too for a complete optimization, then reboot.
    You can easily tweak them for your need with notepad.

Additionally you can disable Group Policy Client with this method:
    1. Download RunAsSys 1.2 http://blog.delphi-jedi.net/2008/05/08/runassys-10-preview/
    2. Run RunAsSys.exe
    3. Type "services.msc" and find the service.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

5. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    IF anyone tries this, plz post results, before reading this post and after optimisation. I wonder if anyone achieved 5fps boost in games? :)

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    5fps is meaningless as you havent stated what the original fps is, this will vary wildy depending on the game, your hardware and gfx quality settings.
    If you get 1000fps, 5fps will not be worth bothering with.
    If you get 25fps, an extra 5fps matters a lot.

Better to express it in % extra framerate.

7. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
  8. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Not sure, you have to try at your own risk. Written for Win7. WinXP have less services too.

As a reference, here the really minimal configuration of services needed for internet gaming with third-party browser support (not sure about IE, I don't use that ****): http://pastebin.com/KLYbA7d0

I disable some non-PnP drivers too in my cmd scripts but it's not big deal if you don't, the system latencies (responsiveness) will improve mainly with regular services optimization.

9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Hi, I'm ready to release my personal tweaking configuration for whoever find it useful /interesting, it's a lot improved over my last package.

http://www.2shared.com/file/tf3WFnVx/Von_Dach_Optimization_Kit_v201.html

Basically apply:
    1. SG Vista TCP IP Patch 1.5.cmd
    2. Registry All-In-One - Optimized.reg
    3. Services - Optimized.cmd
    4. Export (backup) your NVIDIA Profiles with NVIDIA Inspector and import my "NVIDIA Inspector Von Dach Optimized Global Profile Only.txt"
    5. For AMD try a blank profiles file with "AMD CAP - Blank Profiles.cmd", see if it improve your things.
    6. Reboot and play!
    I provide this as it, you should open them and review the tweaks with your best informer: Google.
    If you are not hidden behind a router, you need a third party firewall, I recommend Comodo Firewall.
    If you have some softwares who doesn't work well under "Services - Optimized.cmd", try "Services -Manual.cmd", it's a little less restrictive. And remember that Default configuration is only one reboot away too...
    I use this tweaked setup 24/7 and it's smooth silk in BF3 @ Ultra and L4D2. Edit it to suit your needs, if you think some great tweaks are missing don't hesitate to write me about it!

:)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Thanks man, this helped the smoothness in BF3 :D

11. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Thank you Von, your tweaks are the best around!

12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  13. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    I just started a fresh install (in prep for diablo 3) and applied all your optimized tweaks, (with a few of my own) and wow my computer has never been more responsive!

BF3 was beautiful

Once again thank you!
    It's so nice to have all the good tweaks bundled together like this :)

14. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Well I couldn't use the optimized Services since somehow it disabled my network card! Tried to re-install the LAN driver and stuff, but yet had no connection. Only fixed it by applying the default service reg.
    Any ideas?

15. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    You are welcome guys!

Now I'd like to remember people about the value of HPET enabled in BIOS and high timer resolution:
    [​IMG]
    As you see HPET don't affect CPU performance but you gain an average 10% performance (10%+ FPS) for GPU, you gain also a bit of disks performance (units: lower is better).
    I disable PerfectDisk services/drivers for that reason too, slight performance gain. I enable them only when I choose to optimize my SSDs.
    For HDDs, UltimateDefrag is best because you can prioritize placement of your favorite games folders on the outer (fastest) rings.

By the way, I highly recommend to buy a OCZ Vertex 4 if you look for a SSD, I think the Indilinx Everest 2 controller will stay the top dog for quite a few months with the new high performance firmware.
    Here some kind of "personal evolution" on the disks front:
    [​IMG]

For BF3 specifically, in your user.cfg, create one if you don't have one already (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 or where ever you installed it), write this in it if you don't use V-Sync:

RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
    RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit -1 (which refer to default drivers value, AMD & NVIDIA)

I still have to test if ForceRenderAheadLimit change something on AMD card, but default or higher should be best, not lower.
    On NVIDIA, I enforce 999 for every games in my custom global profile. Sure it don't even go up 4-5 probably, it's only an arbitrary maximum but I have good result with it.
    2 look the very minimum for smoothness.
    Whatever, there is no gain with this setting below drivers default value but you gain in smoothness on higher values without lagging penalty from my experience. FPS hit is insignificant too, I'll test that scientifically someday.

I hope it's useful to some, have a nice day guys. :look:

Last edited: May 14, 2012

16. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Are you connected directly to your internet modem (no router)? Are you on a PPOE connection?
    You may need to keep the Miniports enabled. Try that:
    1. Run "Services - Optimized.cmd"
    2. Run "Services - Miniports Enable (Default).cmd"
    3. Reboot

The first reboot after Services - Optimized is applied, it may take 4-5 minutes for the network connection to reappear in Network and Sharing Center, but after that all will be fine as before. Windows is waiting for some disabled services to report as usual, subsequent boots he will have figured it out to not wait for them before bringing on the network connection.

By the way this is my network connection as example:
    [​IMG]
    Why not uninstalling Microsoft Network components for whoever don't use them like myself.
    (Hey the goal of this thread is not just about craving for more FPS but also having a snappy lean machine, while improving visual candies where it count: in games.)
    (For less useful Windows candies, I suppose those of you wanting that back figured already to turn UxSms and Themes to "auto" in the Services.cmd with notepad.)
    (I'm a old farting ass of the Win95 era, so I like simple classic GUI. In fact I'm from the C-64 era :rock:)

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  17. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If I want to use HPET do I turn it on in BIOS then enter this command with admin credential in CMD?

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Or is there more to it?

18. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Exactly, you have it all. :thumbup:

19. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Tried the HPET thing today. System seems to run better with it OFF.

20. turek

turek Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT
    Hi Von Dach , i have got mobo : gigabyte ga-m56s-s3 and when i turn off hpet at bios , i have got blue screen with 0x000 numbers etc etc when windows is starting . And i havent got
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) , Intel Hyperthreading , EIST (SpeedStep) at bios.

What can i do? Please reply and sory for bad english =)