NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GuruKnight, Sep 9, 2014.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    New general Inspector settings examples added to each category of the spreadsheet.
    This should make it easier for novice users to get into the world of NVIDIA Inspector tweaking ;)

2. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    finally, i found some sli improvement in deus EX HR in DX11

sli bits 0x000040F5 : i can tell that rise an 23% more performance tan usual bits

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Excellent work :)

Did you encounter any graphical glitches, flickering or other issues with this profile?
    It would be great, if you could make a couple screenshot comparisons of the official driver profile vs. "40F5" (with Precision X or Afterburner OSD running).

Try testing with something like 4xDSR (1920x1080 -> 3840x2160) to ensure full GPU usage.

4. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    jeje.. i will make time to view results, my test were under res 2880/1620, HBAO flag vs SSAO improve and Reshade, with my rig. config passed from 55- 60fps to 71fps with not that kind of issues until now. In 4k works smooth in vanilla, & max options (under 60´s), in my config, roughly 33 - 40 (due to memory cost and inplementation of the injector)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Perhaps so, but I must still insist on screenshot comparison evidence (with FPS counter) before adding anything to the spreadsheet.
    SLI testing can be very complicated, and I would like to make sure DX11 SLI bit #14 doesn't cause any issues.

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  7. SnipeStar

SnipeStar Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 680 4GB
    yo, what the hell? i downloaded nvidia inspector last night to get SLI working in sniper ghost warrior 2, and i definitely do not have the category for "compatibility" so i don't have access to the 'sli compatibility bits'

i've used inspector in the past before with no issue.

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sounds strange, try reinstalling your graphics driver with "perform clean installation" selected and also download a fresh copy of Inspector.
    BTW there is already a customized .nip file ready for import under the "NVIDIA Inspector Profile" section of the Ghost Warrior 2 entry in the spreadsheet.

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I decided to include MrBonk's excellent DSR Tool Guide as an additional OGSSAA "example" below the appropriate category in the spreadsheet.
    This should introduce users more directly to the concepts, and also makes some of the game specific DSR advice in the table easier to "approach".

10. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    LOD bias has never worked for me since I got my 780, potentially even my 670, though I can't remember that far.

I've never been able to experience SGSSAA without the horrid blurring. No setting I've tried has ever removed it, yet it's been talked about in every guide about enabling SGSSAA.

Has anyone managed to actually correct the blur on modern hardware? AFAIK, it's not supported at all on Fermi+, as per NVIDIA's notes, so I don't know why it's still listed in guides all these years later.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SGSSAA doesn't blur even without LOD tweaks. LOD tweak allows you to get more texture details which won't shimmer because SSAA antialias textures as well as triangles, it does nothing to any blur.

What you're referring to is likely a bug of the game's post processing shaders when combined with SGSSAA. It can be fixed in some titles with a correct AA bit.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Actually the custom DX9 AA profiles have three overall purposes:

1) Prevent blurring.
    2) Provide the best possible AA quality.
    3) Prevent graphics glitches in situations with complicated post processing or lighting.

And automatic LOD correction with SGSSAA was already built into the drivers in January 2013 (313.95 BETA).
    Only in OpenGL is it necessary to use manual LOD correction to prevent blurring with forced/enhanced TrSSAA (SGSSAA has no effect in OpenGL).

But of course there are situations (e.g. Witcher 2) where the lighting the game uses prevents forced AA without issues such as artifacts or blurring, no matter which settings or custom AA profile you use.

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    The spreadsheet and OP should now be fully up to date again.
    I also added some preliminary tweaks for Windows 10 to the introduction of the OP.
    This is however still work in progress, and I might add more content if something changes.

BTW "0x000000F5" should be sufficient for decent SLI scaling in Fallout 4, but I decided not to add this since there is now an official SLI profile in the latest 359.06 driver.
    However this driver breaks SLI in Star Wars: Battlefront, so I recommend sticking with 359.00 for the time being and just manually adding "0x000000F5" to your FO4 profile.

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Wrong, SGSSAA leads to overfiltering which requires negative LOD bias to prevent blur in textures.
    Since some driver version, there is an automatic LOD adjustment, depending on the set up SGSSAA sample count.
    This is totally independent from the fact than you often can use a strong LOD bias with it without visible negative effect.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's "overfiltering"?

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    The same as positive LOD bias.
    Try an old game that doesn't blur with SGSSAA due to post processing etc. and compare texture sharpness.
    With SGSSAA without negative LOD bias, you practically will have less AF than without SGSSAA.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Less AF? What? I really don't think that you know what you're talking about.

Here's a quick comparison I just made for you in Morrowind:

[​IMG]

Using SGSSAA without any LOD correction does not blur textures. What it does to textures is antialias them - which may result in a loss of excessively bright/dark pixels which someone may see as blurring. But it's not blurring, it's antialiasing.

The ability to lower the texture LOD value with SGSSAA comes from the fact that SGSSAA antialias textures as well as polygons and as a result you may push higher detail MIPs into the scene and SGSSAA will take care of texture shimmering which this may produce otherwise. It has nothing to do with combating some "blur" of SGSSAA, it's just a bonus of AA running on textures. If you look at the left side wall on the comparison above you'll easily notice that lowering texture LOD bias does nothing to the sharpness of the base texture already shown there under LOD 0.0.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Ok, eod. You can't be argued with.

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    aufkrawall is completely correct about driver forced SGSSAA needing auto LOD or manual LOD correction to prevent image blurring.
    This is due to the nature of SGSSAA, and the correct LOD bias is determined by this formula:

http://www.miniwebtool.com/log-base-2-calculator/

20. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    What about OGSSAA and DSR, no manual LOD bias needed either? Because I notice quite a bit of blur with forced OGSSAA in some DX9 games (Source Engine) w/o manual negative LOD bias even with correct AA bits. AFAIK auto LOD bias is only in SGSSAA and HSAA (XxS/XxSQ).