Media Player 4k (to upscaling yours videos/movies 1080p to 4k)

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by maur0, Nov 6, 2014.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    hi all test my custom ffdshow + media player home cinema x64 pré-configured

this is a media player home cinema x64 version 1.7.7.90 and ffdshow x64 build 4531 (egur) edition pré-configured by me to upscaling all videos to 4k (3840x2160) and pré sharpness level 14 configured, to up quality of image and more color level and contrast level are pré-configured

recomend to users who have 4k tv and reproduce 1080p/720p videos for better quality at 4K tvs and monitors,
    recommended minimum quad core cpu

resulted in the best quality of image in all videos 480p/720p/1080p all resolution are upscaling to 4k (3840x2160)

press F to fullscreen

after installed all videos files are automatically associated with the media player 4k.
    include shortcut in desktop.

ps: only work this version in x64 (64-bit) windows

Download

[​IMG]
    http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/58610390/file.html

demonstration

original 1080p bluray movie frame
    [​IMG]

same scene run at media player 4k upscaling to 4k (3840x2160)
    [​IMG]

enjoy and report results if you using 4k tv, if it got better or not the image using this.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Protip: Spoiler embedded images.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Edit-

I uninstalled my old setup (MPC-HC x32bit, Kawaii Codecs Pack and SVP) which was very good and it works now. Noticeably sharper even on a 1080p display!

My question is that this does not work with SVP for 60 FPS display. But it does feel more "cinematic" than "video" without SVP running.

Anyway to make this work optionally with SVP?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I just overdrive my monitor to 72 Hz or under drive to 48 Hz.

5. Denun

Denun Guest

GPU:
    GTX950
    my laptop has an UHD display and i don't really see a difference, but also i don't know if everything is working.....

You wrote that you use ffdshow so do i should see an icon somewhere that ffdshow is running? and what i have to do to send the 4k stream to the television trough hdmi?

6. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Why is my antivirus flagging your exe as malware?

I was going to give the exe a try but not with Defender deleting it as malware! Just curious if it's a false positive?

7. AndradeRJ

AndradeRJ Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080/ 8GB
    I risked and it, indeed, improved the video quality. Thanks!
    It's been 2 and a half years since, do you have anything better now?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    madVR @ NGU low + MPC-HC or Kodi DSplayer is pretty good too.

9. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I do not think your comparison shots are fair. You need a 4k screen cap of the 1080p video being scaled without any tweaks. See 1080p is really easy to scale to 4k because it is an even 4:1 ratio of pixels, there is very little interpolation going on. I can certainly see the artificial sharpness and a small boost to contrast, but it is also easy to see the image isn't anywhere near 4k. Scaling happens no matter what because a 4k screen is always 4k. The question because what is doing the scaling. You will always get at least a slightly better result if the scaling happens at the point the video is rendered rather than when the image hits the TV, but I have a hard time believing anyone would really notice that difference when going from 1080p to 4k, SD or 720p to 4k would probably see a much larger benefit from a tweak like this.

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It takes more than a gamma filter.

11. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Most people won't tell the difference. gl

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    mainly comes down to the way its upscaled.
    sony is basically the one that started it in theaters (to enable 3D in 2K per eye) about 15y ago,
    and is the main reason their tvs look better even with non-4K media.
    i sold UHDs in military stores for a few years (side by side with lower res screens and other brands), and one of the first things ppl would say is, "there is no gain unless the signal is also 4K" yada yada..
    and every time i showed them pics/vids/games (on 50" or larger) running at 720p/1080p, even people without 20/20 vision could tell the difference.
    best demo was running netflix (series/movies shot in uhd) and ppl would ask what BD that was.

even that sony doesn't make their own panels for a pretty long time now,
    they (almost) always look better in upscaling/detail/motion,
    than the brands providing the panels (and without the upscaling background).

so for me, best would be a sony 4k tv doing upscaling,
    then a (sony) uhd tv>bd player>amp (with 4k out).

hence, i will never upscale anything on the pc, always will let the tv do it...

i had the original pic on 2 usb sticks, so i could show it on a sony and another name brand (claiming to have the best picture quality), and it really was different.
    yes, i even calibrated the screens so to really see the difference from the engine, not settings.

sony on the left..
    http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/i/iyhi-13-1fa8.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017