Chromecast Ultra

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by pimpernell, Nov 1, 2016.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Anyone got their hands on one?

I am looking for something that can play h265 files from my media server (serviio), without the need to transcode. (so i can fastforward etc).
    I have tried a cheap android box (mx plus II, rockchip), that was not much of a success.
    So my hope is that the new chromecast can do h265 native with the use of the ethernet port.
    I tried chromecast 1 in the past, and with that one i had to use bubbleupnp.
    Bought a android license for that, so if need be i can still use it. ( I think i read somewhere that the new one would have full dlna support, but i fear it will not).

So if anyone gets their hands on it, please try it out in a dlna setting with a h265 file. (bluray rip or 4k, big file size, 10gb+ and try to fast forward).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    It says it's Netflix 4K ready and most of Netflixs 4K content is HVEC (h265) so i would assume so, but will wait for reviews.

3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Yeah me to i presume.

Edit: Ser du er norsk. Har du funnet den billigere enn på elkjøp?
    780,-
    Release 22.november.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The Fire TV can do all that. Plus you can install Kodi on it. That and the Nvidia Shield console are the two best media streamers I've found.

5. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Nei har ikke funnet den billigere. Rekner med den blir billigere når andre butikker fører den opp i sortimentet nærmere release.
    Ser at google shop fører for 780,- dem og, men som regel pleier komplett å kjøre noen kroner billigere enn google shop.

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Nvidia shield console is very expensive here. (but if the new chromecast can't do what i wan't i guess i have to buy one).

The cheap version i see of fire tv only have wifi. Will the new one have ethernet? And the support of web channels around this part of the world only support chromecast and apple tv.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not the Fire Stick, the Fire TV. It's a box like Apple TV and it has ethernet.

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I have now received my chromecast ultra, and to my sadness it do not play dlna hvec/h265 without the use of transcoding trough bubbleupnp server.
    So i can not fastforward/skip and always have to see from the beginning.

Anyone got a solution to do this with the chromecast ultra? (works perfect with h264 and other encoding).

Now i have serviio installed as dlna media server, and bubbleUPNP server installed for transcoding and casting trough the chromecast.(i have tried with plex before but did not work then, maybe the new version works better? Just hate the browsing menu of plex. )

The reason i prefer h265 is that i do want full bluray quality when i rip my files, so they get very large.(And i already ripped all my blurays and that was a lot of work.Collection is almost 30tb)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    After testing the latest version of Plex, it do work.
    It even have a dlna server built in now, but when using that i loose sound in some h265 files. (not all for some reason). But the native plex app work (even if navigating it is a bit tedious). Looks like i have to switch from serviio, that i have used for many years.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    you can try the free app videostream. that works on my original chromecast

11. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I tried that. It do not have the functionality i am looking for, have no dlna browsing of files and you have to manually add files from the media server.
    Plex is starting to grow on me, if you add all files as home video instead of movies/tv-shows, you get much better control of layout and folder structure.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. TheEnergy

TheEnergy Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    But is it worth getting after all?

13. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I love it even if i do not have a 4k tv.
    But if you already got the chromecast 2 with lan interface, it is not worth upgrading unless you need 4k.