Anyone else get microstuttering with Vsync if you don't Cap it to 60FPS externally?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, May 1, 2013.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I've started to notice strange things whenever I use Vsync now days.

Msi Afterburner will report that when Vsync is on the FPS is constantly fluctuating from 59 to 60FPS and the frametime will rapidly change.

And what seems to happen is if you try to move the game camera in a circle it will hitch up at random points and microstutter even though I can maintain 60FPS easily.

Now, if I turn off Vsync and cap it to 60 using Afterburner, frame time is constantly 16.66ms and it is always 60 with no hitching at all.

Same thing if I cap it to 60 (Or 30 if using 1/2 refresh rate vsync) with Vsync enabled. Microstuttering gone! Poof. Constant 60FPS, always 16.66ms frametime.

GPU and drivers: GTX 460 V1 (256-bit 1GB original) and 314.14(has happened prior to this driver. And 320.00 was unstable for my system. Caused my PC to crash with L4D2 and act erratic. The next WHQL driver will probably be fine)

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No problems like that here.

See what happens with a fresh install of windows on a spare drive.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Games I play that actual keep 60fps seem to sow 16.66ms with vsync on games that cant keep 60 fps is another story

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ugh I don't have a separate drive, would probably need to make another partition.

This doesn't happen with all games. Just some. (The Microstuttering at least.)

Most games don't seem to keep a completely constant frametime (though the fluctuations are usually very small. A few ms)if the framerate isn't capped manually with vsync on.

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    happens in dead island riptide only if i enable vsync or cap to 60

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    So you get microstuttering regardless of whether you cap or use Vsync?

What about using them together? Try that

7. angmar

angmar Guest

nada no problems here...could be some sort of problem on your end possibly.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Is it microstutter or are you running out of VRAM?

9. Odd, nothing like that here. I did used to get some micro stuttering on my old setup. Had two 470s with that one but can't say I'm having anything like what you're describing. It's a bummer 320.00 gave you problems, so far it's been the best one for me, then again I have keplers so I'm not sure I could give the best comparison.

Was it something that only started happening in recent driver releases?

I know it can be a little time-consuming, but tbh I'd try what this user suggested ^ if all else fails. Never hurts to keep on the look out for firmware updates for your components either...

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    The 680 is the first card where I got it outside of games that feature microstutter as part of the experience (Skyrim/Fallout etc.). Never experienced any sort of microstuttering with a range of cards from TNT2/6800GT/4850/570. Now I have to cap 60 with Precision on nearly every game.

Last edited: May 1, 2013

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No. Have plenty of VRAM. Don't ever really approach the 1GB mark.

It doesn't happen in all games and it doesn't always happen in the same situations.

Like in L4D2, Capped to 60 externally or Vsync causes microstuttering on the intro camera pan to any campaign but not during gameplay. (Been having this issue for a while.)

In Serious Sam TSE HD with Vsync on and no cap for a while earlier I was getting microstuttering when rotating the camera.

But doesn't seem to happen now when I tried again a little bit ago.

Maybe it's just me.

Afterburner does report while in-game though that if uncapped the framerate rapidly changes between 59.x and 60. And the Frametime varies a few ms above 16.66ms.

If I minimize out and look at Afterburner's graphs, it will show the Framerate as a steady 60 (rather than what shows in-game via overlay)

But the frametime graph shows pretty much what I saw in-game.

just a drawing for example.
    https://i.minus.com/ip4n7jQuAcvVP.png
    (The no cap picture is just an approximation. It can vary depending. And is usually just within 2-5ms of 16.66.)

I think maybe I haven't tested enough games.

Or i'm just seeing things.

12. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I have best results in terms of minimum stutter and best response times when I cap the FPS at refresh rate - 2, so 118fps or 142fps

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I tried capping at 59/58 in the past. But it caused an uneven cadence and created hitching/stuttering of it's own. (With Vsync On in most cases)

14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    you good to go when you have 120hz screen .. i have 60hz

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah i experienced that in source games, for example L4D2 or TF2.

As soon as i enable 60fps cap with MSI afterburner + ingame vsync, camera and mouse movements became ultra smooth.

16. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Seems to be engine related. Same happened when I still had my AMD cards. L4D2 is a very good example but also Sleeping Dogs or Metro 2033.

Odd thing to notice though: all these games with engine stutter work perfectly fine with SLI and Crossfire configurations, as these seem to have driverbased framecorrections with added inputlagg as downside.

17. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    certain games do it. another trick to reduce stutter is lowering prerendered frames to 1 in nvidia control panel

18. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Never had such a problem unless it's game related and i always use vsync to avoid screen tearing without any micro stutter in games that can maintain 60fps constantly, and in Msi Afterburner when running with frame rate onscreen display FPS is constantly fluctuating from 59 to 60FPS but as i said with no stutter,and games that i can't max out with constant 60fps i use in game vsync along with Afterburner's frame limiter which i set at 45fps and still get a smooth game experience except if it's a game or engine related stutter that can,t be fixed.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's gotta be game related.

Just for more conclusive evidence for frametime.

I ran the same recorded Demo in SS TSE HD and screencapped afterburner's frame time monitor.

Spike at the end is when the Demo ended and it went back to the menu (Which runs at 34FPS for whatever reason)

https://i.minus.com/iTsxKdKxburAb.png