Call of Duty: Black Ops II Grosses $1 Billion In 15 Days

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I played Hawken beta - this game is pretty good and refreshing, although feels very similar to Unreal Tournament. You should definitely check it out.

2. ComputerGeekz

ComputerGeekz Guest

GPU:
    XFX Double D 7970
    COD is like Britney spears, old and washed up but somehow continues to be number one. Grossly overpriced and behind the curve piece of software/junk. Just stop with the COD and the WOW already... it's annoying. Again the same as Britney Spears. She is a high school drop out and it would appear that makers of COD are also high school drop outs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Britney spears? 1999 was an aeon ago :p

4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    sometimes at the end of a day of hard work, i like to have a beer and pwn some noobs in blops 2. nothing wrong with that.

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Do you know what happens when you rape a franchise to much? It closes developers off from creativity.

But as long as they follow the same formula and it sells, who cares, right.

6. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    And this is the best they could make with profits in the billions ? How sad hehe

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So logically your counter argument is that the COD series will NEVER fall out of favour? And your question about 'can you shoot' is so random and without context that I really have no direct answer to give.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    He sound like a hacker in BF3 typing "You mad bro?" in the chat box every 3 seconds

9. ATR

ATR Member Guru

GPU:
    amd 7850 CF
    yeah have seen some beta vidoes looks pretty mad - but not the traditional "fps". we will just have to see how it goes.

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you played Unreal Tournament a lot, you'll have strong déjà vu. There are a few interesting things - boost (sprint) and dodging are awesome. I can't emphasize enough how much they improve the game, especially with the limited (but rechargeable) fuel, and that you can't shoot during boost. And your mech turns really fast in a small range and slowly in greater, and mechs have some momentum - it makes positioning and planning ahead really important.
    But I haven't bought the starter pack. I'll play the open beta, when it's released on 12th. The payment & experience model didn't make me buy it.

Regarding CoD - it's a solid game, but it's the same thing yet another time. It's not really a great problem, but ... I don't like such model. In my opinion, even despite in Poland it cost 1/2 of standard EU price, it's too expensive for so short single-player game. And for multiplayer... you'll get another game again soon. The good thing is that you carry your experience and skills from one shooter to another, but here are the games that I think make more sense:

1. Cheap casual 1-time game, like Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, Crysis 2 with promo, etc.
    2. Cheap casual (or maybe hardcore) game with high replay value, like Audiosurf.
    3. A game that will let you play for a really long time and enjoy it, like Skyrim, Fallout, quality racing games, etc.
    4. Long-term game to play with others for years, eg Rift or other MMOs, HoMM, and especially competitive ones, like Starcraft, Counter-Strike, Enemy Territory

I'm mostly for skill-based games, where there's little to no grind. Grind is often added as a time sink, especially in MMO's, and I don't like time sinks - I want my gameplay to be interesting and not limited for some stupid reason. That's also why I'm not a fan of CoD/BF3 unlocks. Such game should be good for long time without any artificial extenders. Another type of grind is a frustration-inducing one, frequently found in so-called free-to-play games. It's designed to make you want to progress, irritate you with a vision of long grind session and offer a remedy with an item/game currency store. I refuse to play game that's main design is to make me feel bad and pay for making me play less (that's why I haven't got Hawken yet, I'm not sure if it's going to be enjoyable in a long run).

CoD is kinda skill-based, but there's way too much randomness for me. Also the cheating problem was pronounced way too much in BO1 to make me buy the 2nd part. The real deal that sucks is that you buy a game with your friends, play it, then an expansion is released or another part and some friends buy it, some not and they're kinda pushed to buy it. I know how this business model works. That's why I prefer games with longer time span, like Counter-Strike, L4D, Starcraft. If the publisher wants to get more $$$, they should either introduce some kind of subscription or release non-breaking extensions and paid customizations that have no effect on balance (just looks).

11. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    And that's without all the DLC to come. Someone burn these ****ers down.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Call of Duty 20: Modern Warfare Ops 1942

13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It makes me a little sad TBH, considering how terrible some aspects of the game are. I've bought every CoD since the first one and in some ways the games have got worse, yet their popularity has grown.

Black Ops 2 has the worst lag comp and hit registry of any CoD thus far, even worse than MW3 pre-patch.

14. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    is it weird that i havent played any cod game? started playing counter strike in 2001 and never stopped lol

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i concur, it's rough a lot of the time.