MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 12 (2012-02-02)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Ok, thanks. :)

2. spoolindsm127

spoolindsm127 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    And the sidekick joins in now to get brownie points. Plus you overused the "something is seriously wrong" line. Go find your own material cock.

I never set any overclocking profiles, only used it to monitor temps. But no one's going to believe me here, or even ask whether or not I had set any profiles.

It's okay, I know what kind of forum this is. Arrogant, pretentious mods who can disrespect whoever they like with grammatically incorrect, nonsensical statements in "english". wtF were you saying there at the end russian?

Anyways good job everyone! :thumbup:

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

4. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks for this much useful info! :)

5. Unwinder

Found rather misinformating post about ULPS and overclocking AMD cards with Afterburner at OCN. Not surprized to see guests from OCN with fundamentally wrong understanding after that. A few comments to fix understanding given with that info:

Basically, all third party softwares involving the idle states of slave GPU(s) monitoring will interfere with ULPS and will cause throttling (using Afterburner as monitoring not overclocking).

Incorrect. There is no any throttling, no any interference with ULPS, the only downside of using low-level monitoring tools like Afterburner or GPU-Z is seeing no ULPS related zero clocks on the graphs because AMD driver's ULPS activity is invisible to low-level monitoring tools. And monitoring those things through AMD driver like it is done in CCC is deadly ineffective and slow and may cause stuttering in games if using in realtime. If you absolutley want to see active ULPS on the graphs, Afterburner provides a config tweak allowing you to use only AMD API for monitoring on AMD cards, but it won't give you anything useful besides seeing zero clocks on the graphs when ULPS enabled slave idles and it may degrade performance (due to the reasons mentioned above, i.e. due to poor optimization of monitoring API provided by AMD driver).

Using Afterburner to OC and overvolt in crossfire configuration, it has to be disabled because it inteferes with ULPS, hence BSOD/crash.

Incorrect again. Overvoltage has zero relation to ULPS, the same applies to overclocking if it is performed via official AMD overclocking interface (ADL) within CCC clock limits. It can safely coexist with ULPS.
    The only thing that is incompatible with ULPS is unofficial overclocking path (which is used by default in Trixx and can be optionally enabled in Afterburner). Using AMD's unofficial overclocking path will indeed result in BSOD, because AMD driver writers cannot even make their own unofficial overclocking path to be compatible with their own power saving technology.

Nothing has changed with the release of MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 12 other than the ability to use PowerTune (Power Control Settings).

Incorrect again. Beta 11 and up introduces /XCL command line switch, which allows extending CCC clock limits and acheive higher clocks while using official overclocking path.

Things might change in future with the 7900 series.

The things will never change because of AMD's stupid politics related to overclocking. For many years they seriously limit CCC clocks and force vendors to stay within really low overclocking limits. Their stupid politics is a direct reason why developers are searching holes like an unofficial overclocking to provide more overclocking freedom to overclockers.

UnofficialOverclockingMode;
    •1 = To keep PowerPlay (ULPS) active.
    •2 = To traditionally disable PowerPlay (ULPS).
    •0 = To temporary disable unofficial overclocking path.

Incorrect again. Alternate overclocking modes have zero relation to enabling/disabling ULPS. They control PowerPlay only.

There's another option to use Afterburner without having to turn off ULPS by disabling "Low Level Hardware Access Monitoring" in Afterburner UI settings. Unfortunately by doing so also disabling the ability to tweak voltage.

And again incorrect. This option does nothing related to ULPS compatibility.

P.S. Personal warm greetings to the main Afterburner hater from that thread, tsm106. Smart and true AMD fanatic could just create his own better overclocking AMD overclocking and overvolting tool instead of constantly attacking "limp Afterburner, Trixx and ASUS GPU Tweak" which are unable to work with perfect AMD power saving techniques. But in reality it needs much more knowledge than some forum boy actually have, isn't it? :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    thanks for your work and time.

7. jaredpace

jaredpace Active Member

GPU:
    4890 975/1150

Hi Alexy, greetings. First of all, thanks to you for your software, Rivatuner & MSI Afterburner, and EVGA Precision. Your parternship with MSI has brought everyone great things, and your work is amazing. I find it cool that you keep the software up to date, and support bug reporting and help all of us finding fixes in this forum. Of course most of us do not know what these technologies are:

Zeropower, Powertune, ULPS, Powerplay, Unofficial overclocking path, ADL Official overclocking method.

A quick recap of their definitions and what these features are would be helpful if yourself or anyone reading this could contribute. (Understand if you don't want to explain, as I see you having to painfully repeat yourself a lot on this forum) Alas, it is complicated how said features work in conjunction. Then when we bring overvolting & overclocking into the mix, it gets more complicated. Hardware modification to bypass OCP & OVP is yet another curveball thrown into it. Experiences good or bad, will help any newbie get the hang of overclocking his card. Afterburner supports both Nvidia and AMD/Ati video cards, and there seems to be a lot less said from you about Nvidia driver complications. Usually when Nvidia mucks up a driver it's something super serious like - swift death of the video card - for instance. AMD seem to have a better history of keeping a steadily sh!tty driver that's par enough to not start a mu****** IMO the whole core of low-level driver paths and CCC needs to be rebuilt from scratch by the AMD squad.

Personally, I think you should write your own software to control the AMD video cards (if something like that is possible). I'm sure this breaches an EULA or GNU Software Liscense somewhere, but it seems your knowledge of the subject is good enough to make some great drivers/software to help ATI (Like you already do with MSI Afterburner). I'm thinking of something like an "omega driver". AMD would be wise to make you a part of their team, IMO.

People complain that their card doesn't come down from high overclocks to regular idle clocks (powerplay disabled) when they choose certain settings in trixx or AB, or they get BSOD's as seen in the post you've quoted. We should not expect all these things to work together beautifully - too much is going on in the background directing how the card should operate.

Also, why does Asus's GPU clock tool allow for 1.4v VID to AMD 7970, and MSI Afterburner tool allow for 1.3v VID to AMD 7970? Is this an MSI/AMD restriction? I noticed you just lifted memory frequency limit to 180%.

I used to use to Radeon Bios Editor RBE to make my own bioses. From there i would put my voltage states, fan profiles, and clock states to where i wanted them after finding what my card was capable of by stress testing. However, with all these new power features, and the simplicity and ease of use of Afterburner profiles, it makes the old way obsolete. I haven't even been keeping up with RBE updates.

Anyways, Unwinder - thanks for you excellent creations friend! You're good work is appreciated by us all. I think MSI Afterburner is great software and want to see it have a good future with continued support. I particularly liked the frame limiter and custom fan profile in Afterburner. Afterall, It was through the use of Rivatuner that the masses figured out how to control programmable voltage regulators! Now everyone & their grandma has Precision, EVGA voltage tool, Trixx, Afterburner, AMD GPUclocktool, and GPUTweak, :p Here's to AMD making some good drivers!

Anyone want to contribute on these Power features? The forum has some learnin' to do! :wanker:

8. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    For some reason after one of the recent patches for Star Wars; The Old Republic MSI Afterburner OSD no longer works.

Other users are also having this issue (see here). I have tried all kinds of settings but nothing worked so just giving a heads up. Not sure if you are a MMO gamer and have this game to test. But if there is anything I Can do to help, please let me know. FRAPS does work so not sure what the developers might have screwed up during a recent patch.

EDIT: I've also tried a fresh reinstall of MSI afterburner thinking my settings may be screwed up but that did not help. I am using Beta 12.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. n2k3

n2k3 Member

GPU:
    2xGTX 980 Ti Lightning
    Woo nice updates to the server :) Props for implementing the d3d9Ex mode, where you stated only 2 games in the world use this !
    I also like the longer properties panel!

I think this software is perfect and this is my attempt to make it even more perfect (these are considered small annoyances, nothing big, rather really small :p).
    - When you disable the fan speed tab inside the .cfg file and you right-click on the HWmonitor panel and click 'Properties' it opens the properties with the tab On-Screen Display selected.
    - When adjusting .cfg values it doesn't copy them over to the local .cfg (inside Profiles folder), meaning any changes you've made will be lost after updating Afterburner. Can be solved manually of course by copying the values over to the cfg inside the Profiles folder.

10. Unwinder

Both NVIDIA and AMD offered join them in the past. I prefer to stay independent though and create the tools as I see them instead of following some corporate restrictions and politics.

Ask ASUS ;) Actually they limited GPU voltage to 1.25V in GPUTweak on AMD 7970 series before we launch Afterburner with 7970 support, so increasing it to 1.4 now sounds like an attempt to give some "advantages" over AB. It is not a problem to increase it even further in Afterburner, but even 1.3 is more than enough for 28nm chips. So ASUS may continue playing the game, we won't increase it just to be "the first ones".

11. Unwinder

I don't own this game and cannot comment which changes in the engine cause that. Cannot help with that, sorry.

12. Unwinder

Forcible tabs disabling functionality via .CFG is not intended for end users, sorry.

Supposed to be this way, there will be never any copying because .cfg in the root is a template with default settings while user adjustable settings are residing into Profiles folder.

13. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    thanks for the info! :thumbup:

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680SLI
    It would be very useful to have user defined fan curves linked to each gpu since many people use a mix of aftermarket and reference coolers on their multi-gpu setups. It's such an odd limitation given you can have separate fan speeds for each gpu why not add in the custom curve too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  15. Daba-8

Daba-8 Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 Direct CU II
    Quick question. Which video capture settings should i use to minimize the performance hit of the recording ingame?

16. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I think RTV1 has the lowest performance overhead.

17. Unwinder

RTV1 + <100% quality gives the losest possible performance hit. Then lowering frame size may help.

18. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    I have a big problem with this beta and overclock profiles.

I have 2 crossfired cards (5850) and , because of the changes to the profiles structure, I have to reimmit the profiles. I set the profiles separately, because I don't use the cards with synched parameters.

But everytime I save a profile for a card the same slot of the other card gets overwritten with the current set clocks for that card . I can't get AB to save the profiles for both cards correctly :(

19. Unwinder

All slots are supposed to be overwritten with currently set clocks of each card in the system. It was so since the very first version, so I see no problem.

20. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    EDIT:
    Wait , I understand your point. In the precedent versions I was able to set the profiles for the different cards separately (like: Select GPU1. Set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1, set clock for profile 2 , store profile 2 ... Select GPU2, set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1 ... etc), now instead what happens is that the profiles of all the cards are updated at the same time. Am I right?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012