Buying a new monitor. Wise dicision ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mahanddeem, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    personally I would choose screen size and resolution over hertz, if you don't get more than 60fps while gaming then any higher hertz monitor would be a bit pointless ?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really pointless, more hz is always better.

3. angmar

angmar Guest

With a GTX 680 you won't even be able to hit 120 fps in pretty much any current games at 1080p anyway except for games with very low quality graphics.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    He doesn't have to hit 120fps to take advantage of 120hz+.

5. Mathiassen

Mathiassen Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB @1175/7124
    I own both a PB278Q and a VG248QE, and they´re both running off an overclocked GTX 680. I can tell you that if you´re planning on playing FPS games i suggest you go with the VG248QE. You won't get 120/144 fps in games, but it doesn't matter. You can always lower the settings.

BUT if you´re not that into FPS and just play stuff like bioshock, and story based games, or anything else than FPS, i highly suggest the 1440p monitors. You´ll just get an allround better experience.

So since you said you play BF I´d suggest the 144hz monitors (VG248QE). You´ll just feel you´re hanging behind while playing FPS on a "5ms-which-is-actually-16ms" 1440p ips display (PB278Q).

Oh and btw, i also plan on buying the 880 when it comes out. Doing FPS on my 144 hz and AC unity and **** like that on my 1440p.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thanks everybody.
    I already tried the Asus. Didn't like it at all, at least its picture quality(and the downgrade in size from my current 27 inch). Even before playing few rounds on BF4. Yes it's smooth in BF4 and all(getting from around 75-120 with 2xmsaa and most settigns are ultra effect on low), but I realized that I don't want to sacrifice quality and AA for just more fps. I know my 680 isn't enough to drive a high fps (though it's aggressively factory overclocked)And even when I research 780ti performance it doesn"t look that I will not ALWAYS get a good fps and high quality to go 100+ fps on future or even some current demanding games.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    The Asus Swift ROG is the fastest responding lcd screen in the market period. Has Gsync and a buncha other features. It's really the apex of gaming monitors currently. I love my 30 inch dell u3014 too much so i can't bring myself to get it. But if you can afford it, i think it's 700 dollars it's the best way to go for gaming. 144hz 27" 2560x1440 G sync and other blur reduction technologies. A true 8 bit TN panel which is rare most TN is 6 bit + FRC. It's a great piece of tech.

8. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Has that been release yet ?
    700+ for a monitor that's 27 and TN is a rip off TBH

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... yea.... but they don't really make IPS displays geared towards gamers... cause they tend to have slower response times. What you get with IPS is basically a trade-off.... you either get IPS with excellent color reproduction but slower response and generally only 60hz.... or TN with not-so-great color reproduction, but faster response and up to 144hz.

On top of that.... it's $700 for not only 144hz.... but also GSync.... as well as being 2560x1440, among other things. Do they even MAKE a 2560x1440 IPS panel?

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What? Elaborate please?

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, I can think of two.
    Dell U2713HM (AH-IPS)
    Asus PB278QR (AH-IPS)

Both 60Hz panels of course.

12. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    A quick sort on NewEgg shows 53 IPS monitors with that resolution.

13. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    In response to #1 post if you are still wondering, NO! Owners of 120+ hz display turn V-sync OFF. They are competitive gamers who would rather tolerate tearing than mouse lag any time of the day. The upgrade to 120+ hz mitigate tearing significantly and also let them see over 60 fps.

There is no way they would turn on V-sync and face mouse lag again.

Believe me, I've tried. When fps drops below hz figure, stutters are still unacceptable when V-sync is on.

I'd still urge you to pose in the LCD section next time for the sake of following the rules. Graphics card forum is the hot spot of course, but imagine everyone posting irrelevant topics here just so they can get quicker responses...

At last, I'd recommend not buying an LCD until 2015. I bought my VG248QE last October, a week before NVIDIA G-sync demonstration. The monitor works as advertised but I'd have waited longer if I knew G-sync was coming.

Remember a good display can last for 5 years+, you'll thank yourself later for being more patient. G-sync monitors are right around the corner. It is a major advancement too good to miss.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014