CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

ToastyX you want me to post here or at CRU was having some issues which I think I got mostly worked out. I do have some questions for you that you might be able to help me resolve. I can do some videos tomorrow of where I have gotten with this. As I said OnnA deserves credit and we have been pm'ing about it.

2. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Either way is fine.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    o_0 Our BIG Bratan' ToastyX

Welcome Here bro :banana:

Personally i think this revelation (That FreeSync or as i called it The Corrected Frame Sync) will be something Good for everybody.
    It Really work with my CRT, and i have Better gameplay overall with FreeSync ON than with OFF.

So i'm just Happy :) THX to your work of course and ATI !

PS.
    And Today i found another interesting thing about FreeSync on CRT !

It don't need range at all, 60-120 is OK, but i've changed it to 74-120 (I have 74,200Hz Setting for 1920:1440) and it's working like before 60-120, same output in FLA -> Flater, more fluent Frames Output when Gaming.
    I've changed it becouse sometimes (rarely when gaming) it forced my CRT to 60Hz Grrrr then i make some tests (to be sure that this is still working) to 74-120 and Yup its working also, same good fluent gameplay.
    Rarely e.g. ME:Catalyst when enetring options menu, FC4 when entering Map, Witcher III no problem, NFS16 Ung3 no problem (after it occurs it never ocured again in same game session, Yes after that gameplay is butter smooth, maby driver have to set it self for new Display or something like that)

Thats why IMO for CRT all we need is to Enable it and set. range - Default Hz for resolution i'm using for Desktop/Gaming for me it's 1920:1440 74.2Hz
    I think this is specific for CRT and how CRT works, for LCD/LED must be different aproach thats why it change refresh dynamically.

ToastyX You know Monitors better, you can dig it better :grad:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    I don't see how this could work. I don't think you're doing this right. You created a custom resolution to set 1920x1440 @ 74.2 Hz. You need to set the minimum refresh rate below that so it can increase the vertical blanking to lower the refresh rate as necessary. Otherwise, you're not doing anything except clamping the refresh rate to 74 Hz. Setting the maximum refresh rate to 120 Hz shouldn't do anything because FreeSync can't increase the refresh rate, and your monitor can't go higher anyway because of bandwidth limitations with the adapter.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I got same results in 60-120 and 74-120 (FRAPS + FLA)
    Same smooth gameplay, i think FreeSync on CRT working little different than on LCD/LED
    HW and technology related IMO
    What i've observed it still working like it should (for CRT) so i have Corrected Frame Sync working OK.

For LED it an must to change dynamically refresh 30-40-50 etc. on the fly, on CRT that is impossible (on the fly) so it is working different way but the outcome is the same -> more fluent/stable FPS.
    Maby on CRT it is (LFC) Low FrameRate Compensation.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Thats what I get for jumping to wrong conclusion. I don't mind being wrong. But do you really think change in refresh rate on CRT is seamless and unobservable to the naked eye like in FS-capable monitors?

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Reading his post, i don't think he does think that.

While it has been many years since i used a CRT, i do remember anything under 75hz caused me issues quite quickly, so think if it did work it would causes seizures if it was constantly changing and assuming it would have to be set to never drop below 60hz.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Tested today again, SoM trying to find most stable line.

FreeSync ON Vsync-OFF

[​IMG]

Freesync OFF Vsync-OFF

[​IMG]

Again The Winner is FreeSync, same thing in FC4 and ME + Witcher III
    No matter how many times i will test it -> FreeSync Gaming is better on my Setup.

PS. Also FS don't change on the fly my Refresh rates, i have always 74.2Hz.
    As i said it does rarely when entering Map or Settings screen on some games, not all games have this tho.

Also whatever this FreeSync on my CRT do -> I like it :)
    Corrected Frame Syncing is my favorite ATI/AMD feature right now.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So FS basically leaves your refresh rate untouched, but it seems to do frame pacing. What does the red line signify in the graphcs you posted?

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Highest / Now / and Lowest FPS
    Middle is actual FPS in that moment.

And i really like that frame pacing bro -> it's great

its like this IMO:

FreeSync ON & Driver -> Cable -> Monitor and the Magic is on Driver Side with FS ON
    Hmm it is like the Driver+FS commands my CRT to do a better job (i know this is simple explanation)

11. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Alrighty after a lot of changing things with my lcd panel I have figured out a few things and also done a lot of deep digging on the web to find freesync over hdmi info from AMD.

For my panel it does indeed work with a few cavets that need to be mentioned:

Freesync over HDMI can work with any LCD that already has the proper type of asic controller chip, the difference being several things. There is nothing special about these chips AMD went the route of using existing ones as a cost measure for the monitor. They did write custom firmware specifically for these chips in the monitor and proprietary edid data blocks.

1. What we are adding in the overide edid is only partial freesync info for the asic chip, it will work somewhat depending on which one is in your monitors control board.

2. For full freesync and what I mean here is for full freesync in the asic controller chip you need the custom firmware.

3. Freesync over HDMI is already fully implemented in the crimson drivers.

With all this said in my case, I using it on an LG 29UM58 ultra wide screen, going by specs it does vertical of 48 -75 but we already know the lower range can be extended on freesync.

I was having an issue with freesync being enabled at 48 to 75, but remember this is not full implementation, I tried so many combinations of ranges and what I found is my working freesync range is 30 to 74, yep 30 to 74 any other combination with the max at 75 causes blanking when freesync engages. This leads me to believe it is full implementation but only partial as I do not have the firmware update.

The curious thing was last night I was looking at the freesync over hdmi monitor list at amd and a there was a new entry for lg which was not there a few days ago, the LG 29um58a ( which does not exist) but the from appearances it the same as my 29um58.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    So, download Firmware for it when it will be avaible -> and Done You have Full freeSync on non FreeSync Monitor !
    I tell you that this is possible (what is impossible? for us nothing becouse we don't restrain ourselves)

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Now after some additional Try & Check, i got new working setting for my FreeSync CRT
    It is Stable at 57-74 no blinking etc.
    Now i need to run again some tests with FRAPS+FLA and compare it to 60-74 and 74-120 :)

UPD.
    Still Very good, i will continue using that settings 57-74 :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  14. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

Yeah it is possible now will monitor manufacturers actually release firmware updates is another whole nother thing :wanker:

More likely we will need to pull the edid data block from reading the eeprom and insert it as an override...easy enough once we see a few of them.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    But if it working, why bother?
    Leave and enjoy, ME:Catalyst is more smooth now (it clearly need more CPU, but with FreeSync is very enjoyable)

16. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    The brightness will change as the refresh rate changes, but the difference won't be as big as you might think.

The flicker might be bothersome at lower refresh rates, but most CRT monitors won't allow refresh rates less than 50 Hz anyway, which is why OnnA had to raise the minimum to 56-57 Hz.

Someone that got ULMB (backlight strobing) and G-SYNC working at the same time noted both effects weren't major issues: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm in my OSD i got Edge Lock on 2 (Back)
    1 is front -A_
    57-74 works better than 60-74

-> https://www.cnet.com/products/mitsubishi-diamond-pro-2070sb-crt-monitor-22-series/specs/

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Discovered a nice side effect of running the "reset-all.exe" after a new driver install

When I enable my HDMI TV as extended display, it usually blacks out my main display for a good few seconds before enabling both, same disabling HDMI, it blacks out both displays before returning just to the main display

Running reset-all.exe completely repairs that, there is no screen blackout, now when extending displays it just enables and disables the secondary display without turning off the main display at all, makes the whole process way faster too

EDIT - Damn, found out why, it resets the TV to 50Hz, with 50Hz I don't get that black few seconds between switching, 60Hz does, not sure why as both displays are set to 60Hz, would have thought it be the other way round if anything

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You need to set working setings for all of your displays.
    If your TV have problems with 60Hz, give it standard 50 or 59Hz -> maby then it will be NP.
    you need to try :)

20. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    I got an RX 480 and did some testing.

Good news: It's real! FreeSync is actually working and changing the refresh rate on the fly.

Bad news: The trick only works with HDMI. The driver will not allow FreeSync to be enabled with DVI or DisplayPort using this trick.

Unfortunately, the only monitor I have with HDMI (ASUS VG248QE) blacks out when FreeSync is enabled regardless of the range, and the monitor without a scaler (Yamakasi Catleap 2B) only has dual-link DVI, although it can also handle single-link DVI at lower pixel clocks. I tried using an HDMI-DVI cable and the usual trick of adding an HDMI support data block, but it was still detected as DVI with the RX 480. I also can't test the 14" CRT until I get an HDMI-VGA adapter.

So how do I know it works? I managed to trick the driver into allowing it with the Catleap using a DVI splitter.

First, I had to connect the ASUS to the splitter using a DVI-HDMI cable so it would be detected as HDMI. Then I set everything up and connected the Catleap to the splitter. Unfortunately, using the splitter with HDMI limits the Catleap to single-link DVI, and using a splitter degrades the signal, so I couldn't test it at the Catleap's full resolution without flickering green lines. However, I found that both monitors will display 2560x1080, although the Catleap will repeat the image at the bottom because it doesn't have a scaler.

When I ran the FreeSync windmill demo, the ASUS blacked out while the Catleap handled FreeSync perfectly at 30-60 Hz:

FreeSync ON with VSync OFF showed no tearing or judder as the frame rate changed with the FPS sweep option.
    FreeSync OFF with VSync OFF showed tearing.
    FreeSync OFF with VSync ON showed judder.

This means FreeSync is possible with DVI if the driver would allow it. I bet this would also work with other overclockable Korean monitors. It might even work with G-SYNC monitors if AMD would allow this to work with DisplayPort.

I'm trying to think of a way to show this is working, but it's hard to come up with a test using a camera because videos have fixed frame rates. I'll brainstorm some ideas and report back.